Sundown Audio

Cooling Your Amps

Guest MegaloManiac

i've done some research on this actually. There are a variety of answers but most of them are pointing them at the heatsink in a push pull manner.

1 12v fan pushing air throught and another pulling air out for constant airflow, now ive also seen 2 pushing air in and 1 pulling air out.

im about to have to start on a project like this for my 1500.1bd....since i modded it when i crank tha volume up it gets hot fast......i wonder if anyone has ever thought of water cooling an amp.......if thats even possible.....i thought of getting a clear plastic hose maybe about a 1 inch and cutting a strip on the bottom and attatching it to the top of the heat sink in a snake style using clear scilicone to patch up any leaks then as to a pump with cool water i dont know becase once the water goes over the heat sink so many times it will become warm hence doing no good so you would have to have some way of constantly keeping the water cool to keep the heat sinks cool......but i also thought about underneath the heatsink if the cool water would cause condensation on the circuit board....that would be no good.....just a thought i had

i was thinking leave the 12 sitting in the box in the hole and duck tape from the bottom of the sub to the bottom of the baffle so the sub doesnt free air. would that work?

Guest MegaloManiac
im about to have to start on a project like this for my 1500.1bd....since i modded it when i crank tha volume up it gets hot fast......i wonder if anyone has ever thought of water cooling an amp.......if thats even possible.....i thought of getting a clear plastic hose maybe about a 1 inch and cutting a strip on the bottom and attatching it to the top of the heat sink in a snake style using clear scilicone to patch up any leaks then as to a pump with cool water i dont know becase once the water goes over the heat sink so many times it will become warm hence doing no good so you would have to have some way of constantly keeping the water cool to keep the heat sinks cool......but i also thought about underneath the heatsink if the cool water would cause condensation on the circuit board....that would be no good.....just a thought i had

http://forum.carstereos.org/xj6-rebuild-st...42.html?t=64442

that was pretty interesting but wouldnt be able to do it like that with my amp....that amp had special "accomodations" for water cooling....

i was thinking leave the 12 sitting in the box in the hole and duck tape from the bottom of the sub to the bottom of the baffle so the sub doesnt free air. would that work?

Guest MegaloManiac

exactly ;)

im glad you realized that

also it looks like 20.1 or 40.1s are water cooled capable. But they are NOT.

Edited by MegaloManiac

Just a suggestion or two say you wanted to try that... Remember that water-cooling runs on 12 volts just like a car does (or atleast close enough that it shouldn't hurt anything) so you could use a pump from a computer water cooling system, as well as a radiator, which is how you would keep your water "cool." As far as condensation, there wouldn't be any at all, as long as the water wasn't below ambient temperature, which it wouldn't be with just a radiator, and you keep some air moving through the amp, but that would have to happen to keep the other components cool anyways.