First solder attempt, need tips

Ive never done it before, nor have I seen anyone do it or even had anyone tell me anything about it so I went in blind and this is what I came out with, Im sure I used WAY too much but I couldnt spread the damn stuff around. I started by twisting the wires together so thats one reason it looks so big.

GEDC2532.jpg

GEDC2529.jpg

What tips do you guys have for me?

1993 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham.

Jensen UV10 DVD HU

Two 12" Sony Xplode (temporary)

heat the wires really well before you apply solder. Make sure you have flux core solder. This looks like a cold solder joint. The solder should flow into the wires if its hot enough and if you have flux

I tried using some thick stuff my mom had in her basement but the stuff wouldnt melt for some reason so I used some much much thinner stuff she had but it wasnt on a spool so I dont know about any name or anything

thanks for the info, anything else I should know?

Edited by Velvetdreams21

Jensen UV10 DVD HU

you dont need really thick solder. i would bet you used soemthing for plumbing. goto RS and pick you up a small tube of some 60/40

also dont heat the solder, heat the work. the wires need to be hot enough to melt the solder.

TeamDeadlyHertz-PUNKYOU007.png

d(-__-)b

beer sucks...but i can bring some jose cuervo. Only problem is that it makes me horny and gives me the rams. So unless yall wanna fight and then have some great make up sex i will leave it home.

How long does that take? cause I literally held it to the wires for about 3 or 4 minutes and it still didnt get hot enough, could my iron be broken/weak? Cause it is hot enough to melt the rosin instantly

Jensen UV10 DVD HU

make sure your tip is clean, also make sure you tip is tinned. Get you a small sponge and get it wet but not soaked. when the iron is hot take and roll the tip in the damp sponge. this will get any extra solder off the tip and help clean it up a bit. then take some fresh solder and get a little on the tip and roll the tip again. this should tin the tip and make soldering easier. it shouldnt take 5 mins to heat up the wire but depending on the thickness of it, it may take a min. also if you are going to try to resolder the wiresin the pic i would cut that out and start fresh.

EDIT:

just found this, it should help you out some. when you have some time just get you some scrap wires and practice man. once you do it a few times youll get the hang of it.

how to solder

Edited by PUNKYOU007

TeamDeadlyHertz-PUNKYOU007.png

d(-__-)b

beer sucks...but i can bring some jose cuervo. Only problem is that it makes me horny and gives me the rams. So unless yall wanna fight and then have some great make up sex i will leave it home.