gonna try something i read on teh interwebz 2morrow, its a voltage mod similar to the MLA mod but only for a few cars, i have a ALT that the regulators are controled by the car computer, im going to put a diode on the sensor line so it sees that the alt is producing less voltage, therefore it steps it up, going to try this on a bench alt first if no problems going to move it to my car, will post pics when i do it and the results

Guest DC Power Rob

gonna try something i read on teh interwebz 2morrow, its a voltage mod similar to the MLA mod but only for a few cars, i have a ALT that the regulators are controled by the car computer, im going to put a diode on the sensor line so it sees that the alt is producing less voltage, therefore it steps it up, going to try this on a bench alt first if no problems going to move it to my car, will post pics when i do it and the results

Your alternator isn't controlled by the PCM. Very common myth/misunderstanding about alternators. The only "TRUE" PCM controlled alternators are most Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep vehicles, where the PCM technically IS the voltage regulator and controls alternator output. There are other PCM integrated alternators, where the alternators regulator is excited and controlled by the PCM, but the internal regulator still controls output and voltage. There are also quite a few vehicles and types of alternators that are just activated by the PCM, but the PCM has no "control" over the alternator itself.

On your alternator, as most others with a "S" or sensing terminal, adding a diode inline just lowers the voltage the regulator sees at the "S" terminal and it over compensates raising voltage to what it thinks it should be. On some vehicles it works, some it doesn't, but 99.9% of the time I would highly recommend against doing what your doing because you can do more damage than what you stand to gain, especially with a stock alternator.

Your alternator isn't controlled by the PCM. Very common myth/misunderstanding about alternators. The only "TRUE" PCM controlled alternators are most Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep vehicles, where the PCM technically IS the voltage regulator and controls alternator output. There are other PCM integrated alternators, where the alternators regulator is excited and controlled by the PCM, but the internal regulator still controls output and voltage. There are also quite a few vehicles and types of alternators that are just activated by the PCM, but the PCM has no "control" over the alternator itself.

On your alternator, as most others with a "S" or sensing terminal, adding a diode inline just lowers the voltage the regulator sees at the "S" terminal and it over compensates raising voltage to what it thinks it should be. On some vehicles it works, some it doesn't, but 99.9% of the time I would highly recommend against doing what your doing because you can do more damage than what you stand to gain, especially with a stock alternator.

robbie, i did plenty of testing on the bench alt, and it worked fine, so i moved it to the car and it looks as tho its working fine running at 15.19v

pics time

before

snc000081.jpg

diode

snc000091.jpg

after

snc000111k.jpg

should hold me over till i get down to you at the end of march robbie

robbie, i did plenty of testing on the bench alt, and it worked fine, so i moved it to the car and it looks as tho its working fine running at 15.19v

pics time

should hold me over till i get down to you at the end of march robbie

pretty interesting but wouldent this put shit loads of stress on your alt

2005 Ford Ranger Reg cab

Build in Progress

T3 Audio T2000 12

ARC SE4000

Stinger HPM 1/0 Wire

DC power 270xp

Batts: 1 Redtop up front and a Stinger SPP2250 in the back

Hopes to be in and around a 150....weel see

my youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/steph3n1

imgsize.jpg

Team DBs (Driven By sound)

it does stress the alternator, as the internal workings of the unit were not made to handle that kind of load over periods of time.

call me a dick for saying it, but after warnings form an alternator manu about why its not good to do and you still doing it...id probably laugh at the car catching fire because "it works just fine"

it does stress the alternator, as the internal workings of the unit were not made to handle that kind of load over periods of time.

call me a dick for saying it, but after warnings form an alternator manu about why its not good to do and you still doing it...id probably laugh at the car catching fire because "it works just fine"

hahaha. your hilarious man. but yea i care more about my car all together then have a "little" more power until i get a real alt. plus if you have alot of batteries it stresses the alt even more i see flames in the future :ph34r:

2005 Ford Ranger Reg cab

Build in Progress

T3 Audio T2000 12

ARC SE4000

Stinger HPM 1/0 Wire

DC power 270xp

Batts: 1 Redtop up front and a Stinger SPP2250 in the back

Hopes to be in and around a 150....weel see

my youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/steph3n1

imgsize.jpg

Team DBs (Driven By sound)

Im so glad someone finally gets it. :) Please tell everyone.!!

yes i know it stresses the alt, i dont even have an amp hooked up at this time, just doing it to help top off my batts, should be getting a better alt at the end of march at that time i will be removing this, i was more interested in seeing how it works

\my stock alt is pretty rugged for being stock, so we will see how it fairs