Sonic Electronix

I was looking around in the psi forum over on CACO and saw a couple passive radiators. What are their purpose in car audio? I've never seen them in a build.

System tear out has begun...Out with the old

i have a iq of 128 i graduated at the top of my class tell me how im reatrded you are the 1 thats dumb as hell you can't even spell

Look at the underlined text hahahahahahahaha

I think of it as the virgin losing the virginity technique

not just jumping in to it, and pounding away, but going at it slowly over time, to get to that full extreme

l_59eb24b3e2d14283a9f1baf0746be9e0.jpg

I was looking around in the psi forum over on CACO and saw a couple passive radiators. What are their purpose in car audio? I've never seen them in a build.

a passive radiator is used like a port. weight and stiffness is changed to change it's tuning.

What are there advantages and disadvantages? Just curious because like I said never seen them actually in use.

i have a iq of 128 i graduated at the top of my class tell me how im reatrded you are the 1 thats dumb as hell you can't even spell

not just jumping in to it, and pounding away, but going at it slowly over time, to get to that full extreme

I used passive radiators before and DON'T DO IT the back pressure seperated the spiders from the basket. It did sound good for a little while but not worth loosing subs.

06 Monte Carlo

Motorola T605

Alpine CDA 9886

Polk mids and highs

Yellow top

2 XS Power D975

Knukoncepts 0 gauge

1 DC Audio 3.5K

1 DC LVL 4XL 15" Thorshammer package

I wasn't planning on using them just curious as to what there actual use was

I've also been looking at these, look interesting to test out for an experiment. Anybody else have any pros or cons of them?

pPFs4E8.jpg

06 Mini Cooper S

Sundown, SoundQubed

Cadence, XS Power

151s Sealed

155s Outlaw

Windshield @ 37hz

I used passive radiators before and DON'T DO IT the back pressure seperated the spiders from the basket. It did sound good for a little while but not worth loosing subs.

weird how they would still sell them if they just ruined subs hmmm

check out fritosaregoood's build log

R.I.P!

(Nov-29-2009)

92 explorer

- 4 Atomic Apxx 15s duel .7s - 4rth order bandpass wall -4 powerbass XA-3000D's - 16 8volt batts wired to 16 volts - (9+/9-) runs 0gauge - 152.3 Db @ 29hz

current build

97 chevy lumina4 - 1 Atomic Apx 18 - 6 cube slot port trunk sealed off - 1 powerbass XA-3000D - 2 optima G31s in spare tire18 1 run 1/0

they are pretty much used as an easy port, like if you don't know what port to use or what size you need. You make an enclosure to hold 2 what ever size subs you want, put the sub in one whole and use the radiator to cover the other whole. So it kind of works like two subs but really is only one. They might work well in a low power system say maybe up to 500 watts.

I also thought it was worth a shot, then the spyders came off my baskets and my coils got damaged. Now I have no subs and can't figure out how people live with out subs for the lows??

The boxes I made where about 1.5 to 2 cubes and I placed the radiator in the rear of the box. It sounded great for a while and increased my spl slightly. There are a bunch of ways to use passive radiators this is just the way I did it so I could keep my spare tire. You might have better luck if you want to try it, but I don't recommend it.

06 Monte Carlo

Motorola T605

Alpine CDA 9886

Polk mids and highs

Yellow top

2 XS Power D975

Knukoncepts 0 gauge

1 DC Audio 3.5K

weird how they would still sell them if they just ruined subs hmmm

check out fritosaregoood's build log

Maybe it was user error on my part, wouldn't be the first time won't be the last. Just sharing my expirience

06 Monte Carlo

Motorola T605

Alpine CDA 9886

Polk mids and highs

Yellow top

2 XS Power D975

Knukoncepts 0 gauge

1 DC Audio 3.5K

I feel like I've read somewhere that you want the amount of passive radiator cone area to be double the cone area of the sub(s) you are using.

as468x60pxbanner.gif

My Youtube Page. Check it out

The "SAV" - Sub-aural Assault Vehicle

Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X993

Image Dynamics CTX 6.5" Components

Q-logic 6.5" kick pods

CDT 6.5" CL-E6NEO Front door Midbass

Kicker ZX350.4

Knukonceptz SS Karma 4 channel 6m RCA

Fi Q 18" w/ brushed aluminum dust cap

7cu ft. ported box tuned to 28hz

Sundown SAZ-1000D