Hello Everybody. I've been lurking here long enough. It's my time to post some eye candy of a different variety. It's nothing spectacular. The goal was to get something loud using low power.

First some info of my build.

The car: 1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Cierra A.K.A The Cream Puff

Head Unit: JVC KD-HDW10 A basic CD player with a built in HD tuner and RCA outputs

Amps: 2 US Acoustics USB-4085 1 at 85 watts x 4 @ 4ohms (mids and highs) 1 at 240 watts x 2 @ 4 ohms (subs)

Fronts: Powerbass 3.5" coax in stock location

Rear: MTX Thunder Axe 5-1/4" components

Subs: 2 Ascendant Audio Atlas 15"

Electical: Stock :(

Stay tuned for pics. Thanks for looking.

Build topic with no pictures?!?!

Anybody got specs for the AA Atlas's? I have never heard of them before, and cannot seem to find any specs.

pPFs4E8.jpg

06 Mini Cooper S

Sundown, SoundQubed

Cadence, XS Power

151s Sealed

155s Outlaw

Windshield @ 37hz

Build topic with no pictures?!?!

Anybody got specs for the AA Atlas's? I have never heard of them before, and cannot seem to find any specs.

Just kidding upon further investigation. :ph34r:

formerly known as Jaylor Swift

For those who are like, "AA Atlas WTF!" Here is a little unofficial history lesson. The Atlas and the Avalanche were the first subs offered by previous Ascendant Audio owner Chad K. Any who, the Atlas was and XBL^2 sub. Some praise the technology some don't give a hoot. The special thing about the Atlas is the second coil on the sub was designed to adjust the Qts of the sub when shorted with a resistor of a given value. In my application the second coil is left open for an IB application. Oh, I forgot to mention these were originally intended for home use. Hehe. Chime in if you have more info.

Here are some pics of the easy stuff.

The Cream Puff:

creampuff001.jpg

Got to keep it simple and lay low. I don't want to attract to much attention.

Head unit:

b7e23b48.jpg

It's a fairly simple head unit. On a side note that's a custom installed cup holder / CD organizer. Hehe.

The Powerbass 3.5" coax in the stock location:

85f9057d.jpg

They're just for fill in the front. Maybe once I get some skillz I'll make some custom door panels. BTW I'm 32. Ha, when I get the skillz. Stay tuned for some more pics.

Got some more pics ready. This is what I did to the rear deck to get the components to work:

6 x 9's were stock, adapter plates were needed.

eb80cafb.jpg

I cut out the 6 x 9 mounts.

88da2550.jpg

This is a pic of the plates I made in position.

9a959cb0.jpg

The components finally installed.

3a338908.jpg

More to come. Thanks for looking.

Now for the installation of the subs.

First the prep work. Here is a pic of the trunk

c2ff3618.jpg

Nothing spectacular, but that brace is going to have to come out.

Here's a pic from the inside. The rear seat is out, and the factory sound deadening material is still in place.

abfdda1a.jpg

Once I removed the deadening material I took a grinder to the spot welds and took out the center brace. I also trimmed the sheet metal at to corners to give me a nice big opening. Remember 15's are going in here. I need all the area I can get. Here is a pic of the carnage.

7b687474.jpg

I welded in some angle iron for re-enforcements. I followed up by bolting in some strips of MDF. I wanted to space the drivers away from the rear seat. Here's of pic of that work.

2bc537f5.jpg

Lastly, are the baffles. The subs are double baffled. I wanted to make sure that I made up for cutting out the center brace. I also wanted to make sure I got the most out of these subs. No weenie baffle here.

5e4333a4.jpg

Everyone, thanks for looking. Stay tuned for the subs and amps.

its been a long ass time since i had bass and a trunk good shit.

I wish every body had beat so I wouldnt have to turn my shit down. Fosgate for life running there shit since I was 16 going on 15 years strong. Not stopping any time soon.

Now the good stuff. I got the baffle painted and subs in place. Here they are in all their glory.

22ad8ab1.jpg

Got to love the inverted carbon fiber dust cap. Here is a shot of the junk in the trunk.

44adc751.jpg

Here is a pic of the amps and passive crossovers in place. Extra messy. By this time I was in a hurry to get this going.

6092cb84.jpg

This one is the up close and personal shot of the amp and sub.

ac525a10.jpg

I'm happy with the way it sounds. It gets pretty loud. I'm going to look around and see if I can get it metered. Stay tuned for a video or two.

Archived