Want to get into motorcycles. Need veteran help.

I've always wanted to have and ride a motorcycle and now I finally can. Without the parents saying no and the money right, now I can afford one and they seem like a practical and fun way to get from point A to point B.

Problem is I've never been on one. No dirtbike, nothing.

Well, I did have a Suzuki 50cc scooter in college but that doesn't count. It was yellow and awesome.

Anyway, how would one go about familiarizing with them and getting a license? All of my friends with bikes I don't want to ask for fear of dropping it. If I drop a bike I want it to be mine.

Also, what would be a good bike for a beginner? I want sportbike type, I've always loved them, specifically the Yamahas.

There's a Yamaha 250(or something small like that) that looks like an R6 about 20 miles from here for $2500 and I've been eyeballing it hard. Not face melting powerful but looks sharp, could be an awesome first bike.

Any suggestions for a newbie rider?

INb4 "You can't put a system on a sportbike"

[HOONIGAN]*

'01 Ford F-250 LWB
JVC KD-R950BT / Alpine MRV-M500 / (2) SWA-10s4

I've always wanted to have and ride a motorcycle and now I finally can. Without the parents saying no and the money right, now I can afford one and they seem like a practical and fun way to get from point A to point B.

Problem is I've never been on one. No dirtbike, nothing.

Well, I did have a Suzuki 50cc scooter in college but that doesn't count. It was yellow and awesome.

Anyway, how would one go about familiarizing with them and getting a license? All of my friends with bikes I don't want to ask for fear of dropping it. If I drop a bike I want it to be mine.

Also, what would be a good bike for a beginner? I want sportbike type, I've always loved them, specifically the Yamahas.

There's a Yamaha 250(or something small like that) that looks like an R6 about 20 miles from here for $2500 and I've been eyeballing it hard. Not face melting powerful but looks sharp, could be an awesome first bike.

Any suggestions for a newbie rider?

INb4 "You can't put a system on a sportbike"

if i was starting over again i would buy something super cheap and ride it for a year. then go out and get something nice. i learned on my brothers 650 shadow. two years later i got a suzuki sv1000s. wheelie machine. as far as the lic. goes in ny you get a permit first. you can ride on a permit as long as there is someone else riding next to you that has a lic. that doesnt mean ride up to strangers. pick a friend and practice. gl

none of your friends own a dirtbike? they are very similar just less powerful. what about a sport atv? I'm in the same situation except I don't have the money for one :( my friends have let me ride their bikes. I even got to test drive a complete strangers one time after telling him I didn't have any money or license. I really want a r6 or gsxr.

as long as you understand the power and don't drop the clutch I think you should be alright, just take it slow and don't push the limits at all.

sig.jpg

jl 12w7 ported @ 2cubes at 38hz

rockford fosgate t1500bd

none of your friends own a dirtbike?

I don't really have a lot of friends. Or that I would call friends, anyway.

But no.

Imma look up Tx state law on it and see what they say. I'm also going to look at that little Yamaha tomorrow or day after for good measure.

I sold that Suzuki scooter to a friend of mine, now he uses it for college. Go figure, It's awesome for putting around on campus.

[HOONIGAN]*

'01 Ford F-250 LWB
JVC KD-R950BT / Alpine MRV-M500 / (2) SWA-10s4

coming from someone who has had over 10 years of riding under my belt and was racing pro motocross for a year all i can tell you is dont get a cbr600-gsxr1000 none of the race bikes. you will most likly hurt yourself in all truth. im not being negative, but the fact is if you have no riding experiance all you will know to do is go fast and thats it. you wont know what to do in high speed situations, blow outs, crashes, stopping fast enough without endoing with front brake. get you a nice bike that you can learn on for atleast a year or so then i would say you can get a race bike if thats what you want.

there is allot of stuff to know and learn and it takes a little while .even with me doing all the shit i do my parents still wont let me have one until im out of the house. so dont feel bad on that part lol. ive dont supermoto, motocross, dirt trackin, shifter carts, drag racing, allof of stupid shit. just learn and have fun, and always remember that if you feel you are riding over your limit of comfort back it down bc you will get hurt if not then the next time. trust me, i know lmao

2 AQ 10'' HDC3 copper subs

1 3500d AQ amp

146.3db on TL with stock electrical in single cab truck at 32hz

RESULT: 1st place at comp, 3rd overall out of 20 cars

You could check with a few of the bike dealerships near you about training courses. I know here near me there is a Harley/Buell dealership that offers a training course that if you pass counts as your test to get your license. They also offer a small discount on 1 or 2 of their beginners models after the course. Personally I would take the course to see if you like riding, then go buy a used bike.

Here is the course near me:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/Content/Pages/Get_On_A_Bike/Learn_To_Ride/new_rider_course.jsp?locale=en_US&bmLocale=en_US

P4060002.jpg

2006%5C05%5C06%5Cbikepics-581183-full.jpg

This would be my choice. The Yamaha FZ6 has a much more user friendly powerband than say the R6 so is more suited for newer riders. It also packs just enough punch that as your riding and confidence improves you will not need to "upgrade" bikes very fast. If you get a 250cc or something along those lines it will be great for a short period of time but you'll eventually just sell it off for something like this. Once this becomes boring (ha) there are always bikes like the R6 or even the FZ1 (1,000cc big brother to the 600cc FZ6) Oh and they(fz6) can be found used with low miles for only a few grand

my .02c

-Drew

Edited by Noobtastic14

detail.gifI am a United States Military Arts and Crafts Professional. Sand it off, Paint it on. detail.gif

uhoh_45 said:
dont be a pussy P give the jeep to drew

When I was looking at a bike I'm not gonna waste my time or money, I'm going big or not at all. I learned to ride at 15yrs old a fully loaded Honda GoldWing on a pothole filled gravel road... Not the easiest bike by any means and also not the best road to learn on however if your careful and learn not to rip on it until you get experienced, I think a 1000cc+ is what I would go for.

Me personally my first bike with be a Hayabusa with plans on turbocharging it... Be careful learn how to ride for 6m-1yr and then begin to ride faster. Then again I did learn to drive in a 400hp GTO.

Edited by wL<3bass

Vehicle: 1997 S10 Blazer 4dr 4X4

Exterior: Rear End Bagged, Black Grill, Lifted 2"

Amplifiers: Rockford Fosgate T8004 & T10001bd

Batteries: 2 Stinger SPV35, Kinetik HC2400

Electrical: Big 3, DC Power 290amp Alternator w/ MLA at 15.5v

Enclosure: 4.2 ft³ @ 33Hz 84sq.in. of port (20sq.in. per cube)

Headunit: Eclipse CD3200 w/ 80G iPod

Mids/Highs: Rockford T152s (a-pillars), Rockford T162s (doors)

Subwoofers: 1 15" Fi BL Fully Loaded

Wire: All 1/0g Kicker Hyperflex

My YouTube Videos

My Fiberglass A-Pillar Build

My "Seamless" Looking Box Build

My DD1508 T-Line Bandpass Build "Seamless" w/ Acrylic Windows (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Stealth 8" Fiberglass Build (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Build For A Friend's '08 Cobalt 15" BL Sealed Off From The Trunk

My feedback/references...

^^^^

terrible advice.

lol If it were a dirtbike or even a cruiser I'd say go big and comfy first to save money but for a first time rider on daily commuting through traffic do NOT go all out lol- you'll die /thread

-Drew

detail.gifI am a United States Military Arts and Crafts Professional. Sand it off, Paint it on. detail.gif

uhoh_45 said:
dont be a pussy P give the jeep to drew

^^^^

terrible advice.

lol If it were a dirtbike or even a cruiser I'd say go big and comfy first to save money but for a first time rider on daily commuting through traffic do NOT go all out lol- you'll die /thread

-Drew

If your an idiot yes... If you have common sense and self control you'll be fine.

Vehicle: 1997 S10 Blazer 4dr 4X4

Exterior: Rear End Bagged, Black Grill, Lifted 2"

Amplifiers: Rockford Fosgate T8004 & T10001bd

Batteries: 2 Stinger SPV35, Kinetik HC2400

Electrical: Big 3, DC Power 290amp Alternator w/ MLA at 15.5v

Enclosure: 4.2 ft³ @ 33Hz 84sq.in. of port (20sq.in. per cube)

Headunit: Eclipse CD3200 w/ 80G iPod

Mids/Highs: Rockford T152s (a-pillars), Rockford T162s (doors)

Subwoofers: 1 15" Fi BL Fully Loaded

Wire: All 1/0g Kicker Hyperflex

My YouTube Videos

My Fiberglass A-Pillar Build

My "Seamless" Looking Box Build

My DD1508 T-Line Bandpass Build "Seamless" w/ Acrylic Windows (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Stealth 8" Fiberglass Build (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Build For A Friend's '08 Cobalt 15" BL Sealed Off From The Trunk

My feedback/references...