Composition 1

March 15, 2010

How to Bass Race

Bass Race is a type of competition format for car audio enthusiasts. It involves a steady hand, great concentration and the ability of your set-up to play consistently and without failing. Upon finishing this informational paper you should have a fair knowledge of how to bass race.

The concept behind bass racing is very much similar to bracket drag racing. The classes are broken down into, 120-129.9, 130-139.9, 140-149.9, and 150-159.9. These numbers represent an average decibel level. The aim is to score a perfect 9.9 for your class or as close to that as possible without going over and still having a higher score than your opponent. The SPL sensor is placed on the windshield at a spot designated by a specific measuring device. The car is then sealed up; meaning that all doors and windows are closed. You will want to select a track that is close to the resonant frequency of your vehicle; also commonly referred to as your “peak.” This is easiest on your set-up and allows you just a bit more headroom to come back if you have a bad start.

The judge will ask you if you are ready, after you say “yes,” he will queue up the leader board. The board will say “STANDBY” until the countdown is initiated. This is followed by a “READY, SET and GO.” You will want to start as soon as the board says “GO!” (More skilled bass racers start half-way through the word “SET.” This allows for a better start so he can accumulate a higher score faster, but is also more dangerous due to a possible red light violation.) The sensor will begin reading immediately, displaying your average score so far on the board. Try to gain as much score as possible as quickly as possible. This will allow you to take it easy in the last few seconds of the run. You will want to always have your hand on the volume knob so you can make minor adjustments so you don’t fall too far behind or get too far ahead.

If you are to start before the word “SET” you will red light. This means that you started before you were supposed to and this results in an automatic zero. Going outside of your specified DB range will also result in an automatic zero. So if you are running the 129.9 class, you cannot score higher than a 129.9 or you will lose. If there is a tie, cars are shut off and there is a re-run. If this results in a second tie, the competitors must exit their vehicles and the engines can be running. If this results in tie number three, cars are to be turned off and competitors must still remain outside of the vehicle. If it somehow boils down to tie number four, a track is randomly selected from the DB Jams Official Disc with the rules of a number three tie still in play. The competitors must then do his/her run with the random track. Any ties thereafter are identical to the fourth tie procedure. This can be rather difficult if the track that is selected is far from where your peak is at.

The day begins with qualification. If you qualify in the top eight of your class you head into semi-finals. If you win there, you go to quarter finals. Then the finals round is just you and the other guy who beat everybody else on his side of the brackets. If you win finals you are awarded a trophy for first place and sometimes you will get your money back. There are also trophies for second and third place.

Bass race is an exciting and thrilling sport. Tons of great people, loud cars and excellent atmosphere lead to an overall wonderful experience. Hopefully you now know how to bass race competitively. Hope to see you in the lanes.

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

Nicely put together. Glad you touched on the, "Ready, Set, Go" part of it. Not many people know about that. I usually start right when I see "Set" leave the display but probably could start a little bit before that.

Team Pinnacle / Team SouthEastSPL / Team SoundStream / Team GPI / GPI Sales Rep for Florida and Georgia

thanks bigpimpin and maxim.. thats good info for those of us who live in the middle of nowhere.

sony m60ui

polk mid/hi's

infinity 6000m on tower

fosgate p3d212 x2

fosgate p400-4

fosgate t1000-1bd

im ona boat bitch

My boat build

funny thing is...............slamming fireworks in to the ground with a sledge hammer in mexico is like car audio in california... everyone is doing it but most fail :)

Every time I read a comment you post, or a topic you make... I cannot help to think of how much of a badass you are!!