Sonic Electronix

Is this a waste of money??

Guest jbinn

Ok , so my friend has a Cargo Van (it's rather large) and it running two Kicker COMP 15" (250RMS each) off a MONO 300.1D MTX thunder (so subs arent even getting half RMS)and the van shakes pretty well (not loud at all really) but shakes nice for the setup...

I know underground brands like (audioque , FI , Sundown , Soundstream , DD, DC) but he already has two of these and he wants to expand slowly and do something nobody around here has done...

We were thinking of getting this setup:

Hes going to wall the middle of the van right behind the B pillar (sliding door)so he can still have seats right infront of the wall (this will leave about as much area as a SUV from hatch to window, which eliminates a lot of space, this van is HUGE) and he was going to buy 4 Kicker COMP 15" (so that would total 6) and make a box that's 8-10cubes @ 35hz (each comp requires 1.5cu ported) and going to run a single SoundStream PCX2000.1D (rated 2000RMS @ 14.4v) this would be MORE than enough power for 6, and then next summer he wants to get 4 more and another PCX2000.1D (eventually he wants 12, but hes only buying 4 per summer until completion) would this be louder than two 18" FI BTL's? I figured I can get these comps for about $120 a pair so I can get 4 for about half the price of a fully loaded BTL.

I KNOW I KNOW Fi is a better brand, but I just think money wise and step by step this setup could potentially be LOUD ,i've seen 4 15" comps make some bad flex heck I threw his two 15's in my jeep and they kept up with my Fi 15" SSD loaded. So I figure 10 of these would be the price of two BTL 18's loaded and be a little more RMS

Guest jbinn

basically to sum it up lol:

what'll be louder?

2x BTL loaded 18" @35HZ off 4000RMS

or

12x Kicker COMP 15" @35HZ off 4000RMS (would be about $200 less than the BTL which would help costs for the amps)

250x12 = 3000RMS

2000x2 = 4000RMS

Will cone area beat wattage? or does that not matter.

Guest jbinn

How does that suck? lol if two 15" comps are as loud as my single Fi 15" on the SAME power how is it a waste when two 15" comps are about half the price of my Fi SSD? money wise it seems a lot better , and sice hes running a van he has all the room he needs... Yeah in my jeep I need FI's because I wont have 12 comps in the back of that, but if he can save like $250 with this route and get just as loud why not?

BTW where are you seeing 15" Fi SSD's for under $200? they're $199 NOT including shipping or any options...

if hes really set on it, build the best box you can, maybe get some help from some people on here, with a really efficient box I dont see why this thing cant be really loud. even off the power that hes willing to run

The DC Integra 3 18s to 6 15 build log

Team_DC-Derrick's Youtube

Team DC Audio

where theres a will theres a wall.......

I just realized Steve has reach Voldemort status, over on JP's site he is the one who will not be named....."We dont speak his name over here, fearing it will destroy us" LOL not even in hush tones

basically to sum it up lol:

what'll be louder?

2x BTL loaded 18" @35HZ off 4000RMS

or

12x Kicker COMP 15" @35HZ off 4000RMS (would be about $200 less than the BTL which would help costs for the amps)

250x12 = 3000RMS

2000x2 = 4000RMS

Will cone area beat wattage? or does that not matter.

12 15's will be much louder then 2 18s .....

2006 F-150

4 DC XL M2 18's Walled Daily Driver

XS Power

4 DC 3.5kw

Team DC

Team S.P.L.

Lot of Audio Technix and 1/0

DC Audio Dealer

American Bass Dealer

XS Power Dealer

Audio Technix Dealer

DWRIGHT-1-1.jpg

Guest jbinn

if hes really set on it, build the best box you can, maybe get some help from some people on here, with a really efficient box I dont see why this thing cant be really loud. even off the power that hes willing to run

Yeah, I mean we ALL know those companies I listed are way better, but I've heard with my own ears what even TWO 15" Comps do in the right enclosure/SUV (he put his in mine and beat out my Fi SSD 15" loaded at the same RMS) So I figure 12 of these things has to do some damage in a wall... Yeah I will need a lot of help , I want this enclosure to be BIG (I think im going to need more than 8-10cubes) and I plan to run 3000-4000RMS depending how many woofers/efficientcy of the amplifier.

You have to think, with the wall the van will be cut virtually in HALF. So it'll be almost like running an SUV. I'm thinking upgrade wise, he doesnt have a good job or money to throw around or save up to drop on a single $500 subwoofer , let alone two... The price for the 10 comps would be $600 he would save $400 just on subwoofers. and I think if these comps are running @ their RMS they should last a long time... this is going to be a long project spanning from 4 to 6 to 10 to 12, basically going up as the RMS increases.

honestly man, its personal preference ur doing this for u and ur friend not to satisfy anyone else on here. no offense to anyone on here, so if u want ot be unque and on a budget do it, its gunna be nasty, personal preference is always guna come out ahead ha. id do it if i had the money go with what u feel comfortable doing as well

1998 VW Jetta- SLOW N LOW

12" TC sounds 3hp

BB2400.1

Kenwood Exceleon HU

Kinetik HC800-works for 2ohm loads:D

My youtube Video's CHECK THEM OUT!