Windows Xp Wants Key Code Noooooo

well i swaped my mother board and now xp wants a key code befor it boots up. Im on the pc now i siad i wanted to do online acativation then went to thelp thing and put the smd addy in and it worked lol. Any way what the heck can i do. I cant really surf the net for a asnwer becuse i cant boot into windows. so im kinda stuck. i have a legal corporate copy of xp here is there a way to install it with out loosing all my stuff thats on the hard drive?

Well depending on what is on the computer that you want you can easily plug that hard drive up to another one as a secondary hard drive and pull info off of it. This way works perfectly if you are just wanting files etc like pictures, movies, documents, and other random saved stuff

when you install a fresh copy of windows, it creates (and stores) a blueprint (or checklist) of your installed hardware. hence, when you swap something major like

a mobo or processor, it may act funny. i've never seen this happen with ROM drives or hard-drives and expansion cards, though.

good news is, it SHOULDN'T format your hard drive. it should simply verify the key and call it george. If that's not the case, you may want to take that hard drive to

another computer, install it and back up your stuff...

btw what kind of mobo did you get?

i havnt tryed installing windows yet. Im useing the copy of windows that came with the pc. Its saying that the key code has been used tomany times :(

Im trying to get another pc running to use as back up but when it boots it says NTDLR is missing

i havnt tryed installing windows yet. Im useing the copy of windows that came with the pc. Its saying that the key code has been used tomany times :(

Im trying to get another pc running to use as back up but when it boots it says NTDLR is missing

Boot sector may be corrupt OR may have loose hard drive connections. If your physical connections are OK, try doing a quick repair from windows disc.

About that "over-used" key code...that happens a lot. there is just so much stolen copies of windows that many other ppl may be using that very code.

but i suspect that the fact that it CAN actually tell you that means that you are prolly connected to the internet while trying to boot. If you turn off your internet,

you may be able to get on and back up your stuff.

well the missing dohicamajig was due to a improper reformat of the hard drive. So I reformated it on another hard drive. Now that PC Is up and running :)

This pc on the outher hand is being a bitch. Fuck Bill Gates. Im gonna call a 3rd world contry tomarow and try n get some tech suport.