hey guys.. i just wanted to ask a basic paint job question.. i recently talked to this guy about painting my truck and well..i was just checking to see if his price was good or not.. since it sounds like too much for me.. well.. the truck itself is a 93 ford explorer 4 door.. nothing like the new big body ones.. now for the price.. he told me it would be anywhere between 1600(lowest)and up.. depending on any body work that might need to be done.. now this price is just for labor and does not include any material..(paint,tape,paper for windows,sand paper,primer,etc..)or the actual compressor.. those are things that i have to get.. and i also would have to help him with the sanding and prep work..provide him a ride to my house,food and drinks for some stupid reason.. he told me it was a "steal" of a price.. so dont really know what to say.. since i never had a car painted.. also.. he does not work at a shop..so pretty much cant back up his work if for some reason he messes up..

It really depends on where you are and what you want/need done.

I CAN tell you this; tell that guy to fuck off.

Five years ago I had my Chevy painted back to original color, and had a lot of stuff shaved and the guy charged me 1200 and it still looks fresh to this day. Research on all the local body shops and find one that has a good reputation and go with them.

2000 Jeep Cherokee

-DC Audio

-Memphis

-Audioque

-SecondSkin

-Pioneer

-KnuKonceptz

that much for labor? Sounds like something for the "FUCK THAT" thread.

That much for product MAYBE if your getting like gold flake all over.

Try to shop for paints yourself and find a shop willing to use your paint to save a few bucks.

i resolve to be a nicer moderator.

Tercel build R.I.P.

Eclipse build Old New

V-Dub

My feedback.

tell that guy to fuck off.

THIS.

Especially if he doesnt work at a shop, but it all depends on what kind of paint. (eg. candy,pearl,matte etc.)

under construction

I hate People with crappy primered cars rolling on hubcaps that are louder then me.

u hate c-fizzy?

i love it when people say to eff off for someones price.

even when someone is ripping off someone, youre stuck with 2 choices. either you paintt he car yourself or pay someone else to do it.

theres a couple things to look into when doing paint jobs. are they doing the inside doorjams? engine bay? trim? it can be a lot of work to sand down, fix the body, primer, then paint. i never charge a lot, id charge about $1300 for an explorer if the body wasnt in too bad of shape. but ive charged up to $4000. of course that was a truck RIDDLED with dents and whatnot and they wanted twotone candy paint.

bottom line, in my opinion i dont think $1600 is expensive. either you do it yourself or you pay someone else to do it. kind of hard to complain about how much something costs if you dont knwo how to do it

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

well.. as i said i dont know too much about paint jobs and such.. the thing that got me was what i have to put in.. which is labor too on my end.. for that much i would honestly expect myself to not be doin any work.. and well.. as i said.. he said lets say for example if i want a "wet" look or a "dry" look.. different prices.. candy colors are more since he has to apply more layers i think he said.. and well if i wanted to go with any other color.. i would be lookin at close to 2k just for labor.. even though i would be doin the sanding too. the only thing i would not do is laying paint.. but sanding..priming,preping.. i would do half of all the work..

for paint he said it would be Omni.. because PPG and H.O.K. would be too expensive for me..and it would look the same..

omnis not bad...

but i totally get where youre coming from dude. im only saying if you cant DO then your only option is to PAY someone who can. so theres really not a lot of room for wiggle there in my opinion. if youre short on cash, what you can do is check out auto services on craigslist and find someone willing to do it for cheaper. but either way you still have to pay someone.

i love it when people say to eff off for someones price.

even when someone is ripping off someone, youre stuck with 2 choices. either you paintt he car yourself or pay someone else to do it.

theres a couple things to look into when doing paint jobs. are they doing the inside doorjams? engine bay? trim? it can be a lot of work to sand down, fix the body, primer, then paint. i never charge a lot, id charge about $1300 for an explorer if the body wasnt in too bad of shape. but ive charged up to $4000. of course that was a truck RIDDLED with dents and whatnot and they wanted twotone candy paint.

bottom line, in my opinion i dont think $1600 is expensive. either you do it yourself or you pay someone else to do it. kind of hard to complain about how much something costs if you dont knwo how to do it

That doesn't mean he has to pay some random guy 2500+ to paint his vehicle. The guy doesn't have a paint booth and can't offer a warranty. They have body shops for a reason.

2000 Jeep Cherokee

-DC Audio

-Memphis

-Audioque

-SecondSkin

-Pioneer

-KnuKonceptz

That doesn't mean he has to pay some random guy 2500+ to paint his vehicle. The guy doesn't have a paint booth and can't offer a warranty. They have body shops for a reason.

actually...in my opinion...it does.

is it fair? nope. but thats why you learn how to do it. i just find it funny when people who cant complain about the money people who can charge. its what they want, its what they think is fair. its how i started learning how to do a lot of stuff. i wasnt interested in paying someone to paint my cars, or build my bed, or lay down wood flooring in my house. so i learned how.

everyone only has two options. do it or pay for it. cant complain. if you find something cheap, by all means good on you. but if not, dont complain about it. its that guys profession. its his money to be made.