Jump to content

07 TBSS Fi Team 18's B-Walled 4th


Recommended Posts

Posted

I hope you didn't have power that alt that wasn't connected, or you killed the rectifier

Got carbon fiber dust cap???

Posted

I hope you didn't have power that alt that wasn't connected, or you killed the rectifier

While at the time I would have liked to shoot the alt I wasn't out to destroy it further so no.

I yanked the video, I was pissed off and tired and there was no need for it.

Bottom line is the one alts regulator was on the fritz again (hence charge warning which popped up the day before) and the other has shot bearings which appeared when I did the video... :( Just bad luck man or the OD pulleys just don't like my freeway RPM or something. :shrug: Hopefully Dom has some ideas.

If at first you do not succeed, you are doing it wrong! -ARS
UnderLoK-Tanq-SMD-Forum-resized.jpg
Check out my walled TBSS build over here
4 Fi Team 18s on 2 Cactus K9
DS18 doors on 2 MBQ 1Ks, Vifa pillars on a STL4.500
Pioneer X8500
6 XS Power D7500, 1 3400S
Second Skin
2 270a Mechman Alts

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

Well this is a long story so read it or don’t, your call, but it’s a status update. Things haven't been quiet, but I've been too pissed off to post about it.

Short version: alts are on the way back, amps should be back soon as well, and Gotz1lung (aka Aaron) has offered to help me sort out my electrical issues. Hoping to head to Columbus next week assuming I will have my amps by then and if that is the case at least I can bring the TB to the show on the 17th here in Taylor.

Long version: As I briefly covered in the log I had put everything back in and one XXX started spewing current through the case. I had pulled it and boxed it up, but 3 days later I started my truck and there was a plume of smoke and the other one went up. I sent them back to Soundstream and they refused to warranty them and I had to kick out $360 to have them fixed. This bullshit (I had to contact Grizz to ask him to get someone to help me because I couldn’t get ahold of anyone with support) with getting in touch with them, then them refusing to warranty the amps, won't tell me exactly what was wrong with them, and telling me it would be over a month pissed me off enough buy new amps.

While I waited for my DATs to get here I hit a few people for ideas on what I could have done to cause the problems with the XXX’s and while my setup seemed good enough there was room for improvement so I set out to resolve them. First off I redid my grounds and even added one. I also redid all the wiring for my relay as well as added a new relay with a diode, added bus bars, and refit my alts. I also checked for voltage spikes, ground resistances, etc. and it all checked out.

The DATs came in and just to be extra sure I redid all of my testing again before hooking up the amps. I was good, so I turned on the truck and I was bangin! That is until I started the truck… When I did the one DAT went into protect never to return. When it went into protect I then checked everything AGAIN and still no issues that I could find so I disconnected everything and headed out to a kind of local shop. When I got on the freeway my charge warning came on again (like it did before) so something was up with an alt yet again. Anyways while at the shop we found that the amp was grounding out internally so it was fucked. The other amp however was still alive.

When I got back home I checked the alts and the 4 plug wasn’t working and it was screaming. I had assumed it was a bearing issue. Now I’ve had an assload of trouble with these alts from the fit, to the wrong belt, to them dieing and all the while Dom would never return my calls, but would half answer my emails. By half I mean that he would ignore my complaints about the fit of the kit, ignore my request for a refund on the belt, ignore my questions about the OD pulleys he used, ignore my requests for a return shipper, but did FINALLY agree to refund me for the dual alt kit (which I'll be sending back shortly).

Now since I had already spent $33 on a new belt and $40 to ship the 2 plug alt back I was not about to send them back again for $60 +/- without talking to Dom first, but as per usual he never fucking called and never responded to half of my problems. I even went through the trouble of making a video going over EVERYTHING. So I did the only thing I could do which was send them to Mechman to get fixed RIGHT. Mathew from Mechman is a great guy. He went over everything in detail with me and took the time to make sure I understand the issues that could arise with my truck. First off the bearing issues weren’t bearing issues at all. The rotor in the one alt had exploded into a million pieces. How could this happen? I’ll tell you how… Even though I said to Dom “You sure these pulleys will be ok? Remember this is an LS2 and I red line around 6200-6400 RPM” he insisted they would be fine. When I talked to Mathew he thought it would be best to go measure my crank pulley just to be sure about the ratio. Even if I had a 5.3 these alts would have been doing high 20k RPM. But with a SEVEN POINT SIX FIVE INCH crank it was FAR worse than we had thought. A 1.5” pulley on a 7.65” crank that can do 6400 RPM. Without even doing the math a quick look says 30k RPM which explains why I couldn’t drive on the freeway without alts dieing.

Mathew went ahead and replaced the stater, rectifier, pickup, and a couple other things as the rotor had nuked the alt. Luckily the 2 plug was still ok. Did he do this for free? Nope, but you know what I was fucking sick and tired of trying to chase down Dom and decided to just cut my losses and NEVER deal with him again. One thing I did forget to mention however is I got a dual alt kit from a guy on here who ran it on his TBSS from DC which should rectify the fit issues. If not or if I have problems getting one of my 2 alts to fit in it (I’m guessing the DR44 won’t, but the other will) I’ll have to get my buddy to make me one.

Aside from these issues Mathew also let me in on another dirty secret about the 2 plug regulators on late model GM trucks… You HAVE to use the factory negative battery pickup or else the ECU has no idea WTF is going on and can (or will) result in spikey voltage and poor charging. He had also said that the rear batts have to be grounded to the front battery rather than the frame. I never got to truly load up my alts, but that was another issue to be fixed.

So back to the amps… Like before the surviving DAT ran for a few days on my stock alt and then I started the truck and BOOM it went @)*)@#!!!! I talked to Bill at DAT and I’ll tell you what, the difference between Bill and the assholes at SS is night and day. DAT is A++ in my book and I just hope that they do wind up making a bigger amp in the near future.

After all of this BS I started reaching out looking for installers around Detroit that really know their shit and while I had initially planned on going down to a shop in Cleveland when I saw they sell 2 door Benz sports cars I had second thoughts and started looking around more. One of the guys I had reached out to was Aaron (aka Gotz1lung) and he was more than happy to help me out. Once I get my shit back I’m headed down to Columbus to get my shit fixed. I’ve had it with people saying “it might be this or try that or maybe it’s this” as I’ve done all that and I’m not risking another amp. A third party needs to look it over because I've been looking at it for too long and while unlikely I could be missing something elementary.

If I had to guess what the problem is I would say it's one of three things. 1) Something goofed up with my relay 2) Shit grounds (even though they are to the frame) 3) Not using the factory pickup on the front batt which is causing a spike in conjunction with frame grounds in the rear rather than grounding to the front batt.

I’ve ordered another 120’ of 1/0, 30 terminals, copper bus bars, and grommets to take with me down to Columbus (4 1/0 grounds to the front batt, another 1/0 power to the rear, bus bars in copper for the back 2 batts and the front batt). After this if I still blow shit up you guys be ready for a fire sale to include 1 SMD 18’s, 2 XXX 4000’s, 2 DAT 2500’s, 2 upgraded 300a Iraggi’s, DC dual alt kit, couple hundred feet of 1/0 in 20ft chunks, a box, around 100 sqft of SecondSkin B stock, and 2 D3400 batts… :angry: I’ll toss in my old MMATS 1400.2 on one SMD and call it a day.

I’m hoping to be in Columbus next weekend and be ready to rock it in Taylor on the 17th! :D

If at first you do not succeed, you are doing it wrong! -ARS
UnderLoK-Tanq-SMD-Forum-resized.jpg
Check out my walled TBSS build over here
4 Fi Team 18s on 2 Cactus K9
DS18 doors on 2 MBQ 1Ks, Vifa pillars on a STL4.500
Pioneer X8500
6 XS Power D7500, 1 3400S
Second Skin
2 270a Mechman Alts

Posted

Its your truck. ITS AN SS, it doesnt want all that extra weight, it wants to go fast, not be burdened with the extra load on the engine... lol.

Sorry to hear your shit you've been dealing with.

BTW, Its looking nice. :drinks:

No kidding man and thanks! Now if only it actually worked :angry:

If at first you do not succeed, you are doing it wrong! -ARS
UnderLoK-Tanq-SMD-Forum-resized.jpg
Check out my walled TBSS build over here
4 Fi Team 18s on 2 Cactus K9
DS18 doors on 2 MBQ 1Ks, Vifa pillars on a STL4.500
Pioneer X8500
6 XS Power D7500, 1 3400S
Second Skin
2 270a Mechman Alts

Posted

Damn dude, that stuff sucks. hopefully everything pans out and you get a bangin system here shortly.

2010 Honda Civic LX / Deck: Kenwood DDX371 / Front Highs: Crescendo RTS-1 / Front Mids: Silver Flute 6.5's / 4 channel: DC Audio 90.4 / Sub: Fi 15in SP4v2 / Sub amp: Taramps HD 5000 / Power wire: Knukonceptz OFC 1/0 / Deadener: Audio Technix 60 mil / Batteries: XS Power D5100R / Rear bank: TBD / Alternator: Singer 240a hairpin

Posted

man i wish i had your patience and money. by your point....well id be in jail by now but thats not the point lol. hopefully youll get your shit up and runnin and youll MAYBE at some point bring your ass to FL so i can hear it :D

Fusion With A Stetsom 4k2d on 2 DC XL 15s tuned to 31hz and Subs and ports forward

The Revolution Was Not Televised

But There Is This Thread(clicky)

Dr Merkenstein is my 360 gamertag and my profession. When shit gets real, call in the Doc

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

Well a small update. I was going to head down to see Aaron Friday, but while packing my truck up I went to open the back gate and it wouldn't open! :angry: I tried the emergency release and it didn't do a damn thing so I had to take everything back out and push the box forward (on top of the folded down seats) so I could see wtf I was doing. I picked up the 140+ ft of 1/0, turned, and heard a LOUD snap. It was my back... I totally jacked it up, but luckily my buddy was here to help me in the house. Needless to say after that I didn't make it down to OH (I sat in a straight back chair unable to really move for 12 hours). Hopefully we can do it this weekend.

On a related note the DAT's should be back this week and the XXX's just got back today. The strange thing is the one XXX had to have all of the transistors replaced (it went up in a plume of smoke), but the one putting current through the case was fine... <_< I had them double check the amp and they swear up and down it's ok... They suspected that maybe stray wire had gotten in the case and was grounding out or some shit. Needless to say they were tons of help...

I swear I have had the WORST luck lately... :angry:

man i wish i had your patience and money. by your point....well id be in jail by now but thats not the point lol. hopefully youll get your shit up and runnin and youll MAYBE at some point bring your ass to FL so i can hear it :D

I'm just responsible with the money I do have. I had been saving to buy a used 5 series, but long story short I found out the dealer would sell my TBSS for 8k more than I could buy it for so I bought it out instead (on a loan) which left me with all the cash I had saved for the BMW. I then got the CFO's ok (the wife) and re-purposed the cash.

I never make it down to Orlando, but I do go down to Sarasota once in awhile. No bumping there though, don't want my truck impounded :rofl:

If at first you do not succeed, you are doing it wrong! -ARS
UnderLoK-Tanq-SMD-Forum-resized.jpg
Check out my walled TBSS build over here
4 Fi Team 18s on 2 Cactus K9
DS18 doors on 2 MBQ 1Ks, Vifa pillars on a STL4.500
Pioneer X8500
6 XS Power D7500, 1 3400S
Second Skin
2 270a Mechman Alts

Posted

how much did those 2 subs run u? cuz when I graduate I want to wall off my 01 alero with 2 of em :)

18" Sundown Zv4 D2
JL 1000/1 V1
XS Power D3200

Posted

how much did those 2 subs run u? cuz when I graduate I want to wall off my 01 alero with 2 of em :)

You need to contact a dealer for pricing. I forget what the MSRP is... If you are in MI contact Tom from Xtreme Custom Car Audio for pricing.

If at first you do not succeed, you are doing it wrong! -ARS
UnderLoK-Tanq-SMD-Forum-resized.jpg
Check out my walled TBSS build over here
4 Fi Team 18s on 2 Cactus K9
DS18 doors on 2 MBQ 1Ks, Vifa pillars on a STL4.500
Pioneer X8500
6 XS Power D7500, 1 3400S
Second Skin
2 270a Mechman Alts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 1373 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...