Radio Only Works When Car Is Off?

Have any of you all had this problem? When the car is off the radio works fine, but as soon as the car is running the radio will light up and all but no sound. Cut the car off and the sound returns.

RF Punch 40x2RF Punch 100x2RF Punch 200x2RF Punch 200x2RF Punch 400x4JL Audio 10W7-3"but its only a 200 watt amp tho"

what kind of radio do you have? check the wiring again. I know my little clarion likes to go dead about once every 2 weeks for no reason, we just take the power out wait 2 minutes and plug it back in and it works =\!!

15" re sx 4.1 cub at 33hz box by coolwazabi

its not mine. Its a friend of mines cd player. It works fine if the car's engine isnt running, as soon as the engine is running the sound cuts off. I believe it is a old JVC unit.

Edited by lovellsz

RF Punch 40x2RF Punch 100x2RF Punch 200x2RF Punch 200x2RF Punch 400x4JL Audio 10W7-3"but its only a 200 watt amp tho"

Sounds like something up with the ignition to me.

4 15" FI Q D2's in 12 cubes tuned to 32hz

1- T1000.1bd's

3 Maxx 29 deep cycles

4 runs of 1/0 gauge

-Big 3

-Trunk sealed off from the cabin

Custom 15.8 dual-volt switching MLA module

All in a CAR.

probably accidentally hooked ground or ign to light dimmer... when car turns on its positive, when off its neg or vise versa... just use a volt meter and check that real fast, should be a easy fix

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

ok, thats what i was going to check, but i figured i would ask in case it was something else.

now how difficult is it to remove a radio out of a cavalier? Does the whole dash have to be taken out?

• 14 years later...
10 hours ago, Shaun davis said:

Figure out what it was .  I’m having the same problem .  Car amps and speaker work fine when car is just in the in position but as soon as I start it up sound goes crazy .  Basically shuts off 

You just resurrected a 14 year old thread, pretty awesome.

Is this a new issue or you are just finishing a new install?