Jump to content

Who knows about torsion bars on trailer hitches???


Recommended Posts

Posted

I've got a new work trailer and it is the first one I've ever had with the heavy duty torsion bar set-up. This isn't it, but it is basically the same as this...

airstream.torsionbar.detail.jpg

I've only been pulling this trailer for about a week and today the dummy I work with was unhooking the truck and couldn't get one of the bars out of the hitch so he kicked it around and it sheared off the pin that holds it into place.

My question is, is it OK to drive around with just one of these bars on? Or should I just leave the other one off until I can get it fixed?

Posted

I've got a new work trailer and it is the first one I've ever had with the heavy duty torsion bar set-up. This isn't it, but it is basically the same as this...

I've only been pulling this trailer for about a week and today the dummy I work with was unhooking the truck and couldn't get one of the bars out of the hitch so he kicked it around and it sheared off the pin that holds it into place.

My question is, is it OK to drive around with just one of these bars on? Or should I just leave the other one off until I can get it fixed?

I have a similar setup on a larger trailer. It's cool to drive that way if you aren't going too fast, it's really more of an anti-sway bar. I hauled a large tractor on a smaller trailer (and this trailer) without the bars and it was a nightmare on hwy 95. It swayed so bad it was scary to drive at high speeds. I'd get it fixed asap, but you should be fine for short low speed trips. As far as 1 bar or none I'd leave the one on and make the ass-hat that broke it fix it, they're so easy to get out you have to be stupid to mess it up.

tejcurrent

XS Power

T3

Posted

I believe that hitch is a weight distribution style hitch. Where as it transfers some of the weight off of the rear of the truck and puts more of it on the front. It does also help with swaying of the trailer. I would definitely get it as fixed as soon as possible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tow_hitch

formerly known as Blue86f150

its a 4th order just because its tuned in the 40z doesnt mean it wont reach down and jiggle your balls at sub 30 hz frequencies.

Regardless if they were dipped platinum and were stuffed in Beyonce's twat.....way too fucking exspensive

this sux camel dicks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 362 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...