Sundown Audio

Four 1k Watt Amps Vs One 4k Watt Amp

cmrs2k

Sorry, I meant to answer this earlier. The biggest three reasons that I am considering the JL's are this:

1. I am not sure of the distortion rating on the RF, I know the JL's are clean enough.

2. The subsonic filter on the JL is absolutely amazing IMO.

3. The regulated power supply should give me full power at 10-14.5v. I will pay for that in efficiency, since I will need about 600 amps to play on theJL's constantly where I believe that 300-400 will supply the RF, but on the other side of that, if my voltage drops to 12v for a bit, I will not lose out on power during that time.

I had one amp refurbed and the test data sheet that came back with it showed it putting out 1290-1297 watts at impedances ranging from 1.5 to 4 ohm. So in all fairness, JL is underrated as well.

I don't mean for it to come across like I asked for opinions and then argued with them. That is far from my intentions here. I am about 90% sure on getting the RF's, I just need to know what kind of distortion rate they have.

Thanks again everyone.

I'm going to try and respond to your post.

(in order of your questions)

1. THD doesn't really matter - it really doesn't.

2. Subsonsic filter is a subsonic filter - it's not really amazing it just does it's job. It might be set to cut off at different freq. level on both of the amps but it works the same regardless.

3. Regulated power supplys aren't all that great.

[/end]

I'm going to try and respond to your post.

(in order of your questions)

1. THD doesn't really matter - it really doesn't.

2. Subsonsic filter is a subsonic filter - it's not really amazing it just does it's job. It might be set to cut off at different freq. level on both of the amps but it works the same regardless.

3. Regulated power supplys aren't all that great.

[/end]

I've got a question and a point to debate. Same order.

1. Please explain your statement.

2. I have used a lot of amplifiers and crossover networks with subsonic filters. I cannot agree with you that the do the same. I may be incorrect on this, but I believe that most of them do not kill all frequencies below the set level, but just attenuate them by 12 or 24db or whatever they have listed in the specs on the subsonic. With a JL 1000/1, I can personally vouch for the fact that it kills the specific frequency and anything below it completely. (also, keep in mind that I am not attacking any amp in particular)

I do not mean to come off combative with this, but full understanding will not be achieved until all questions are answered and any misconceptions are nullified...that really sounds like some Confucius stuff there.

BJJ20logo20resize.png

I've got a question and a point to debate. Same order.

1. Please explain your statement.

2. I have used a lot of amplifiers and crossover networks with subsonic filters. I cannot agree with you that the do the same. I may be incorrect on this, but I believe that most of them do not kill all frequencies below the set level, but just attenuate them by 12 or 24db or whatever they have listed in the specs on the subsonic. With a JL 1000/1, I can personally vouch for the fact that it kills the specific frequency and anything below it completely. (also, keep in mind that I am not attacking any amp in particular)

I do not mean to come off combative with this, but full understanding will not be achieved until all questions are answered and any misconceptions are nullified...that really sounds like some Confucius stuff there.

You are not coming off combative and I hope I'm not either! :) It's good to ask questions - so then you are aware and you know.

THD+N represents the amount of distortion that is added to the signal when amplified...I don't believe RF posts specs of the THD because it is insignificant. I saw that JL posted on their website and I think it was 0.05%@ 4ohm 50hz. Now I was told by one of the engineers here @ RF that the human ear can barely detect 1% THD and here in the JL manual they are talking about 0.05% THD, so obviously compared to the RF amp (which I would bet is probably between .05-.50%) you probably couldn't tell a difference.

Subsonic/Infrasonic filter - I believe on all RF amps that have this feature it cuts out frequencies below 28hz completely...So the sub doesn't have a chance of getting blown by a freq. below 28hz.

Me personally, I would run the T40001BD like everyone else has said- and it's not because I work for the company :D It's just the convience factor and the amount of raw power this amp puts out is freakin' awesome!!

More questions or concerns feel free to respond!

Dave, thank you for the information. Like I have mentioned before, the RF amp is where I am more likely to go, it has just been a research period. I have made hasty purchases too many times before, only to find out what I thought would be ideal ended up being 2nd best. I have not had any experience with the RF power series amps, and the only place around me that I know of is Best Buy. <_< Somehow I doubt that I would ever be able to check one out in person there. Thanks to this forum, I have a lot of faith in them, especially for a product that I have never even seen in person. Your information is quite helpful in the reinforcement of that faith. Well, I have a little over half the $ set aside to get one, I will be buying soon.

BJJ20logo20resize.png

Dave, thank you for the information. Like I have mentioned before, the RF amp is where I am more likely to go, it has just been a research period. I have made hasty purchases too many times before, only to find out what I thought would be ideal ended up being 2nd best. I have not had any experience with the RF power series amps, and the only place around me that I know of is Best Buy. <_< Somehow I doubt that I would ever be able to check one out in person there. Thanks to this forum, I have a lot of faith in them, especially for a product that I have never even seen in person. Your information is quite helpful in the reinforcement of that faith. Well, I have a little over half the $ set aside to get one, I will be buying soon.

Go single RF 4k

not to be funny but there are cheaper and better amps out there besides the jl. thats if your still trying to go 4 amps not one. I say research a little bit more. but for sake of the thread RF FTW!!!!!!!!!!!! B)

Subs- 2AA Arsenal 15sAmps- Orion2500d/MemphisDoors- Infinity kapa/AA polymids(soon)Deck- Pioneer PrimerBox- 3.5 per chamber!!!!!!!!/28hzElectrical- two optima red tops/160alt(big 3 soon)OHIO BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if an amp had 2.5% THD+N you wouldnt be able to tell it from .05%

your ears arent that great to tell the difference

2006 F-150

4 DC XL M2 18's Walled Daily Driver

XS Power

4 DC 3.5kw

Team DC

Team S.P.L.

Lot of Audio Technix and 1/0

DC Audio Dealer

American Bass Dealer

XS Power Dealer