1st computer build any tips?

I dunno about that, ATI has top notch GPU's right now for an unbeatable price. The AMD CPU's are great for the money, but for a little extra an i series from Intel will walk all over it. If I was building a comp right now I'd base it off an i7 and a 5xxx series card.

Top notch for gaming not GPU processing...

I bought a 920 18+ months ago and it has been running at 4ghz a core ever since. One of the best chips I've ever bought.

Edited by UnderLoK

If at first you do not succeed, you are doing it wrong! -ARS
UnderLoK-Tanq-SMD-Forum-resized.jpg
Check out my walled TBSS build over here
4 Fi Team 18s on 2 Cactus K9
DS18 doors on 2 MBQ 1Ks, Vifa pillars on a STL4.500
Pioneer X8500
6 XS Power D7500, 1 3400S
Second Skin
2 270a Mechman Alts

Top notch for gaming not GPU processing...

I bought a 920 18+ months ago and it has been running at 4ghz a core ever since. One of the best chips I've ever bought.

Yea like I said, the i series walks all over AMD CPU's, but for a really strict budget build I could see someone using AMD. For GPUs though that's mostly what I base comparisons off of is on games. The ATI cards are still better than the Nvidia cards for less money. I've always loved Nvidia, but they need to step it up.

Yea like I said, the i series walks all over AMD CPU's, but for a really strict budget build I could see someone using AMD. For GPUs though that's mostly what I base comparisons off of is on games. The ATI cards are still better than the Nvidia cards for less money. I've always loved Nvidia, but they need to step it up.

When I mentioned AMD being broke I was talking about how they don't have the money to invest in OpenCL which is why NV is smoking them in that department (which is for things unrelated to graphics which is what this guys computer is all about).

Pioneer X8500
Second Skin
2 270a Mechman Alts

Yea this is going to be something that i am going to use for family finaces, word docs, email, THIS FORUM and web surfing. Most of my video editing it simple and not in HD.

EDIT: Also downloading music and videos. Thats really about it.

Edited by jeyrapboy

When I mentioned AMD being broke I was talking about how they don't have the money to invest in OpenCL which is why NV is smoking them in that department (which is for things unrelated to graphics which is what this guys computer is all about).

Nothing of what he listed above is about OpenCL or CUDA. As to "investing" in OpenCL, its 95% about development, not investment, and the development is happening on more than just AMD/ATi's end.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

The integrated GPU on the motherboard will be fine for what you intend to do. Dont expect miracles though :P

Everything looks fine really.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

The integrated GPU on the motherboard will be fine for what you intend to do. Dont expect miracles though :P

Everything looks fine really.

Okay that was one big thing i was wondering. Like i said my buddy uses a 26" monitor with that same mobo in his comp and everything looks great. He also has 4gb of ram (different brand) and its pretty damn fast IMO

Nothing of what he listed above is about OpenCL or CUDA.

Everything is about OpenCL what are you talking about? NV's SDK and driver for OCL run under the CUDA architecture they don't compete. OCL isn't like OGL my man, it's more than just graphics, it allows devs to pool a systems resources as a whole. It was created to run on everything and on any architecture...

As to "investing" in OpenCL, its 95% about development, not investment, and the development is happening on more than just AMD/ATi's end.

The hardware has to conform to the standard and the manufacturer has to create and maintain the tools (SDK) to allow developers to make use of the tech while beating the other guy. It is an investment when a company signs on to a standard (even though they created it) and creates a product around it as it costs them money. I didn't mean investment as in they have to buy 20% of Khronos :ph34r:

EDIT: typo

Edited by UnderLoK

Pioneer X8500
Second Skin
2 270a Mechman Alts