Sonic Electronix

How to wire up my sub and amp safety?

Hey guys, so I just bought a sub and amp today.

The sub: Diamond audio d3.

Dual voice coil

400watts rms

2ohm

The amp: Interfire IFH-2120

Here a link to info on the amp-

http://www.interfireaudio.com/amplifiers/IFH_series.html

Currently the amp is wired to the sub and is bridged. The problem is here, the bass boost is broken and set all the way up. I'm wondering what is the best way to wire this up so I dont light anything on fire lol.

The guy had a fried ground wire so I feel that might be bc of how its wired. He suggested I just wire it up to one channel instead of bridging it but wont that be WAY to little power?

The site says bridging it makes 800rms at 2 ohms, this sub can only handle 400rms though so running it at 200rms off one channel at 2 ohms sounds safer.

Can I still get the amp tuned with the bass boost set all the way up?

Whats the best way to do this so nothing breaks?

Thanks, this is my first audio setup so sorry for the noob questions.

Edited by Moofs

It would have to be 1 ohm on one channel, because when you bridge a amp, the two channels see half the ohm load, so if it's bridged at 2, each channel will see only 1. May I suggest that you get the amp fixed, that way you won't have to worry about anything. But otherwise I don't see how it would explode because if you set the gain right, and at the frequency that the boost is at it won't clip, what twit used the bass boost anyway :peepwall: naughty naughty!

My RE MT 18" wall build Former build, farewell beloved wall.In progress, Toyota Starlet build

This forum has a massive boner for ridiculous electrical upgrades.

It would have to be 1 ohm on one channel, because when you bridge a amp, the two channels see half the ohm load, so if it's bridged at 2, each channel will see only 1. May I suggest that you get the amp fixed, that way you won't have to worry about anything. But otherwise I don't see how it would explode because if you set the gain right, and at the frequency that the boost is at it won't clip, what twit used the bass boost anyway :peepwall: naughty naughty!

Do you know where I'd even go to fix that? Im gonna try to get it tuned the way it is.

I see what you mean, so how should I wire it up? Should I set it to like 4 ohms and wire it up to one channel so its at 2? I'm kinda confused. Either way arent I pushing to much power at the moment?

This is what the site says.

RMS Power @ 1 Ohm Stereo (12.5V) 400 x 2

RMS Power @ 2 Ohm Stereo (12.5V) 200 x 2

RMS Power @ 2 Ohm Mono (12.5V) 800 x 1

RMS Power @ 4 Ohm Mono (12.5V) 250 x 1

RMS Power @ 4 Ohm Stereo (12.5V) 100 x 2

How do I get the 200x2? but only at one channel?

Edited by Moofs

Do you know where I'd even go to fix that? Im gonna try to get it tuned the way it is.

I see what you mean, so how should I wire it up? Should I set it to like 4 ohms and wire it up to one channel so its at 2? I'm kinda confused. Either way arent I pushing to much power at the moment?

This is what the site says.

RMS Power @ 1 Ohm Stereo (12.5V) 400 x 2

RMS Power @ 2 Ohm Stereo (12.5V) 200 x 2

RMS Power @ 4 Ohm Mono (12.5V) 250 x 1

RMS Power @ 4 Ohm Stereo (12.5V) 100 x 2

How do I get the 200x2? but only at one channel?

If the sub is D2ohm, just series the coils and run the amp bridged. That will give you the 800w. Just set your gain according to how much power you need. You can tune it with the bass boost all way up, just make sure you tune it to the bass boost frequency. It will be loudest around the bass boost frequency and not so loud everywhere else. Not the best way to do it, but sounds like you are stuck that way.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

If the sub is D2ohm, just series the coils and run the amp bridged. That will give you the 800w. Just set your gain according to how much power you need. You can tune it with the bass boost all way up, just make sure you tune it to the bass boost frequency. It will be loudest around the bass boost frequency and not so loud everywhere else. Not the best way to do it, but sounds like you are stuck that way.

so to just double check. Wire the sub in a series setup? And I can control how many watts I get with the gain?

(im still new to all this)

btw I was gonna order an amp kit tonight, I was gonna get an 8g but with 800w wont I need 4g?

so to just double check. Wire the sub in a series setup? And I can control how many watts I get with the gain?

btw I was gonna order an amp kit tonight, I was gonna get an 8g but with 800w wont I need 4g?

If you wire a dual 2 ohm subs coils in series, you will get 4 ohms, and if you bridge that you should get 400 watts. I think their site is wrong.

RMS Power @ 1 Ohm Stereo (12.5V)400 x 2

RMS Power @ 2 Ohm Stereo (12.5V)200 x 2

RMS Power @ 4 Ohm Mono (12.5V) 400 x 1

RMS Power @ 4 Ohm Stereo (12.5V)100 x 2

The 250 should be a 400, so wire it in series and bridge. I don't see why you only want to use 1 channel though, you could just put one coil on each channel.

I'd go for the biggest wire that the amp can take, which may be 2g, but is probably 4g.

My RE MT 18" wall build Former build, farewell beloved wall.In progress, Toyota Starlet build

man I keep thinking this over and its stressing me out to the max. I'm just not sure how to wire it. Does anything think it be better to get a new amp? I'm trying to find one that would be around 100$ that is 2 ohm stable around 400 watts rms.

Is this right in how to set it up?

So I should wire the sub in series. Wiring the sub that way will give me 4ohms. ( I can do that saftely right?) and then when I bridge the amp it will have around 250-400 watts RMS at 4ohms from the amp?

but okay I'll get the 4g if I keep the amp.

Sorry, I didn't mean the 800, I meant the 250, which turns out should be 400. The 4g would be fine, buy why not do 0g so you can upgrade later.

Now that you are totally confused, read this.

Series the voice coils (DVC 2ohm) to give you 4ohms. Your amp @4ohm bridged should give you 400w, which is what your sub needs.

Since your bass boost is maxed, which is NOT preferable, you need to tune your amp so to what ever frequency the bass boost is centered around. This way your amp will never put out too much voltage or a clipped signal. The downside is all of your bass will be loudest around that frequency, and other frequencies will be MUCH quieter. Hopefully, you are planning on buying a new amp soon :)

F150:

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

man I keep thinking this over and its stressing me out to the max. I'm just not sure how to wire it. Does anything think it be better to get a new amp? I'm trying to find one that would be around 100$ that is 2 ohm stable around 400 watts rms.

So I should wire the sub in series. Wiring the sub that way will give me 4ohms. ( I can do that saftely right?) and then when I bridge the amp it will have around 250-400 watts RMS at 4ohms from the amp?

A new amp would be best with your bass boost problem, just make sure the amp does 400watts @4ohm bridged, not 2ohm. The amp needs to be 2ohm stable, but power output needs to be at 4ohm bridged. I think that is what you were saying, just want to make sure.

F150:

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

I think just keep this amp until your next upgrade, don't worry about it at the moment.

Yep in series is safe, because thats 4 ohms, and that amp can be bridged at 2 ohms, so you are fine. If wired in series and if it's a good amp, it will put out 400 watts, the 250 was a mistake. And if you set the gains right, you will be all good.

Yep, 4g, and if you want you can do the big 3 in 0g, but that shouldn't be too necessary now.