Sonic Electronix

I have recently been noticing that after a cold night (winter down here in New Zealand) my Atomic 3000d has heavy condensation on the heatsink and even on the RCAs but the Atomic 2 channel which is right next to it is dry all over. They are both in the trunk behind the half wall and the only difference between how they are mounted is that the 3k is vertical on MDF and the 2 channel is horizontal on carpet. I don't know if there is any condensation inside, but there probably is, which can't be too good. Why though is it that only the 3k gets it and not the 2 channel? And how can I stop the 3k from getting it?

My RE MT 18" wall build Former build, farewell beloved wall.In progress, Toyota Starlet build

This forum has a massive boner for ridiculous electrical upgrades.

I have recently been noticing that after a cold night (winter down here in New Zealand) my Atomic 3000d has heavy condensation on the heatsink and even on the RCAs but the Atomic 2 channel which is right next to it is dry all over. They are both in the trunk behind the half wall and the only difference between how they are mounted is that the 3k is vertical on MDF and the 2 channel is horizontal on carpet. I don't know if there is any condensation inside, but there probably is, which can't be too good. Why though is it that only the 3k gets it and not the 2 channel? And how can I stop the 3k from getting it?

That doesn't sound too good. I'd let the amp sit in the sunlight to dry for the day. And when you put it back in, I would toss a blanket or some kind of cotton material over the amp every night to keep the moisture off.

That doesn't sound too good. I'd let the amp sit in the sunlight to dry for the day. And when you put it back in, I would toss a blanket or some kind of cotton material over the amp every night to keep the moisture off.

Yeah, I've wiped it off when I've seen it but that won't help the inside. Drying it in the sun is probably the best idea.

The towel idea is pretty good but would it stop the water from actually condensing in the first place? Condensation forms when something is colder than the air around it, so wouldn't I need to put a heater in the trunk or something? lol

I still wonder why the other amp doesn't have the same problem even though it's like 8"s away?

My RE MT 18" wall build Former build, farewell beloved wall.In progress, Toyota Starlet build

Yeah, I've wiped it off when I've seen it but that won't help the inside. Drying it in the sun is probably the best idea.

The towel idea is pretty good but would it stop the water from actually condensing in the first place? Condensation forms when something is colder than the air around it, so wouldn't I need to put a heater in the trunk or something? lol

I still wonder why the other amp doesn't have the same problem even though it's like 8"s away?

If I understand, one is a bass amp, and one is for mids and highs. First off, the bass amp is more powerful. Also, the subs are normally pushed ALOT harder than the hids and highs.

If I understand, one is a bass amp, and one is for mids and highs. First off, the bass amp is more powerful. Also, the subs are normally pushed ALOT harder than the hids and highs.

lolwut?

simply the larger amp has more surface area, therefore collects more water, the 4 channel has condensation prolly not noticeable but its there

It's not when I'm playing it, it's when I come out the next morning, after they haven't been playing in ages, the 3k is covered in condensation and the 2 channel is clear.

lolwut?

simply the larger amp has more surface area, therefore collects more water, the 4 channel has condensation prolly not noticeable but its there

The 3k has large droplets, but the 2 channel has none (or very very little)

No water can leak onto the amps so I don't know what the hell it is. Even if it is cause it's bigger, how can I stop it?

Amps get hot... Bigger amps get hotter... The more heat, the more condensation... :noob:

Actually, the warmer it gets, the less condensation it should have.

Amps get hot... Bigger amps get hotter... The more heat, the more condensation... :noob:

LOL you're a genius! :clapping:

Mids/Highs: stock Bang & Olufsen

Lows: Image Dynamics IDMax 12v.3

Power: Sony Xplod XM-D9001GTR:Knukonceptz 4 gauge

Box: 1.75 cu/ft Sealed

Past: Pioneer Premier TS-W1207 (2)/ Rockford Fosgate P210/ Image Dynamics ID10V.3/ Infinity Reference 311A/ Audiopipe AP-18001D

Archived