Sonic Electronix

Hey folks, I got my 0 gauge, a 150 amp fuse and holder, and 6 crimp-on terminals for my big three today. I'm thinking about installing it tonight, but I started wandering about this 0 gauge as I've never used it before. Couple of questions:

Should I add a little solder to the tips of the wire to help the crimp on ends hold better, or just peel the insulation and go for it, or what?

Should I do anything special to the wire ends when tightening into the fuse box?

I assume channel locks and a kung-fu grip will be sufficient to put the crimp ends on with. Am I right here? Do you guys have more luck grabbing one side more than the other or do you crimp both sides fairly evenly and simultaneously?

I doubt the wire cutting pliers I have will chop this stuff, so I guess I'll cut it with a hacksaw. Is that cool?

Thanks for helping out another new guy. I don't want to learn from trial and error and my mistakes anymore! Sorry if I'm over-analyzing this.

Stetsom 11K2d

6-12" DC XL's

8 batts

Ohio Generator alt

2 punch 400's, 8 goldwood 6.5's, 4 selenium st200's

2010 MECA AS1 champ 146.7

Team DC I'm on the wagon, driving a wagon!

'90 Camry Wagon

155+ on music

member of MECA, FCBC, and IASCA

solder the terminals onto the wire. that way you know for a fact that they wont come apart (hydraulic crimpers work well too, someone will say this sooner or later lol)

i know some of those crimp terminals have that little splice on the top so when you crimp it it bends inward into the middle, those are complete shit in my honest opinion. it only drabs onto like 100 strands of wire or so and is a loose as fawk connection.

Yes please solder the terminals, all of them. Hit up youtube to learn how. As for cutting it, go to home depot of lowes and say "hey i just got thick wire and need some big wire cutters" They will point you to something roughly 20 bucks... use that they work great. :drinks: :drinks:

i resolve to be a nicer moderator.

Tercel build R.I.P.

Eclipse build Old New

V-Dub

My feedback.

theres a pair of wire cutters that ed had that cut though 0gauge like butter, i never got the hang of sodering terminals the jacket just started to melt off the wire when i used a torch, so i just shoved it in a vice, surprisingly i could hang on the damn thing and not even a strand move

Legal TL scores145.6 on the dash sealed up in the low 40hz area with the port out145.5 on the dash sealed up @30hz with the port inless then 1k clamped on a 3.5k!

Why would you EVER WANT flex?
huh?...flex is what can make the lows lower and more air being pushed correct?
jeff_zps9bc81ace.jpg

me_zps0fb5a5b4.jpgMy FeedbackJeep-BuildlogPT LOSER buildlog

Yes please solder the terminals, all of them. Hit up youtube to learn how. As for cutting it, go to home depot of lowes and say "hey i just got thick wire and need some big wire cutters" They will point you to something roughly 20 bucks... use that they work great. :drinks: :drinks:

harbor freight has some for like $4

theres a pair of wire cutters that ed had that cut though 0gauge like butter, i never got the hang of sodering terminals the jacket just started to melt off the wire when i used a torch, so i just shoved it in a vice, surprisingly i could hang on the damn thing and not even a strand move

Yeah melting the insulation is annoying, you should try getting black and red duct tape and then tape over the terminal and insulation like where a boot would go and it would look great. Thats what i do.

i resolve to be a nicer moderator.

Tercel build R.I.P.

Eclipse build Old New

V-Dub

My feedback.

Yeah melting the insulation is annoying, you should try getting black and red duct tape and then tape over the terminal and insulation like where a boot would go and it would look great. Thats what i do.

eh fuckit my vice does me good :D

Legal TL scores145.6 on the dash sealed up in the low 40hz area with the port out145.5 on the dash sealed up @30hz with the port inless then 1k clamped on a 3.5k!

Why would you EVER WANT flex?
huh?...flex is what can make the lows lower and more air being pushed correct?
jeff_zps9bc81ace.jpg

me_zps0fb5a5b4.jpgMy FeedbackJeep-BuildlogPT LOSER buildlog

Harbor Freight has both a website and stores, well, at least here in CNY. Just get the flux rosin core solder and a little torch. It's like $10 for the torch (little orange one) and some solder ($3 ea). Sadly they don't sell butane which is weird.