Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

What will yield the highest SPL?


Recommended Posts

Posted

6 12's will be a bit louder of course..thats just a basic fact. them 15s can catch lower notes though..but it all depends on your equipment..time frame, state of mind and wat YOU WANT!! :)

Posted

The 12's will have more cumulated cone area and more wattage going to them. The 6 - 12's will be louder.

6 * 12 = 72 (12's have more cone surface.) I thought every 3" of cone surface yeilded a decible.

4 * 15 = 60

4 * 600 = 2400w

6 * 600 = 3600w (12's have more output potential than the 15's.)

ROFL

THat isn't the way to calculate surface area. ><

r x r x pi

6 12's will be a bit louder of course..thats just a basic fact. them 15s can catch lower notes though..but it all depends on your equipment..time frame, state of mind and wat YOU WANT!! :)

and LOL

15's don't catch lower notes.

the 12's have more cone area.

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

Posted

6 12s if you do it right, 4 15s will be easier to get loud but 6 12s have more potential.

Larger sub = lower Fs so tuning comes into it.

I'm assuming those subs have damn near the same motor on the 12s and the 15s.

6 motors and 6 coils = 50% more motor force than 4 motors with 4 coils :)

This makes sense. Lets say I was going to keep it simple and just do a sealed box. Would this change the outcome?

I have pretty much decided on either 6 of the SEX 12's with Dual 4 ohm voice coils or 4 of the 15's with Dual 2 Ohm Voice Coils and a RF T2500BD. I am looking at 1 ohm load with the 15's and I believe something around 1.3 ohms with the 12's.

Warm Regards,

Dyno Brian

1997 Ford Probe

|Sony Head Unit|Alpine V12 AccuClass-D MRD M1000 Amplifier|4 RE AUDIO SRX12D4 12's|Mids and Highs coming soon!|

|1998 Mustang GT Twin Turbo|1986 Mustang GT Single Turbo|1996 Mustang Mystic Cobra N20|1995 Mustang Cobra 5,000 miles|

2002 ZO6

Mustang%20on%20Dyno.jpg

Posted

ROFL

THat isn't the way to calculate surface area. ><

r x r x pi

and LOL

15's don't catch lower notes.

the 12's have more cone area.

Maybe I am doing something wrong here but I thought the 4 15's would have more area.

Pretending the radius of each sub is actually 6" and 7.5" I think the 15's come out just a tad more surface area.

6x6x3.14=113.04

113.04x6(12's)= 678 square inches

7.5x7.5x3.14=176.625

176.625x4(15's)= 706.5 square inches.

So a little more cone area with the 15's. However 50% more motor force with the 12's.

Hmm!!

Warm Regards,

Dyno Brian

1997 Ford Probe

|Sony Head Unit|Alpine V12 AccuClass-D MRD M1000 Amplifier|4 RE AUDIO SRX12D4 12's|Mids and Highs coming soon!|

|1998 Mustang GT Twin Turbo|1986 Mustang GT Single Turbo|1996 Mustang Mystic Cobra N20|1995 Mustang Cobra 5,000 miles|

2002 ZO6

Mustang%20on%20Dyno.jpg

Posted

just like a cars engine .... theres no replacement for displacement :)

Dont need to tell me this. Thats why I like my small blocks with over 400 cubic inches and 1-2 turbos :)

Warm Regards,

Dyno Brian

1997 Ford Probe

|Sony Head Unit|Alpine V12 AccuClass-D MRD M1000 Amplifier|4 RE AUDIO SRX12D4 12's|Mids and Highs coming soon!|

|1998 Mustang GT Twin Turbo|1986 Mustang GT Single Turbo|1996 Mustang Mystic Cobra N20|1995 Mustang Cobra 5,000 miles|

2002 ZO6

Mustang%20on%20Dyno.jpg

  • 2 months later...
Posted

Now that my business is begining to slow down I am ready to start on woofer/amp combo. Before I make the purchase I wanted to get some final opinions on what will yield the most SPL.

4 15's x 600 watts per sub for a total of 2400 watts

or

6 12's x 600 watts each for a total of 3600 watts

Keep in mind 4 15's offer a little more cone area compared to 6 12's

Thanks again.

Warm Regards,

Dyno Brian

1997 Ford Probe

|Sony Head Unit|Alpine V12 AccuClass-D MRD M1000 Amplifier|4 RE AUDIO SRX12D4 12's|Mids and Highs coming soon!|

|1998 Mustang GT Twin Turbo|1986 Mustang GT Single Turbo|1996 Mustang Mystic Cobra N20|1995 Mustang Cobra 5,000 miles|

2002 ZO6

Mustang%20on%20Dyno.jpg

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 1279 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...