Sundown Audio

Burning inputs?

BJD3

I've heard that if you hook up an amplifier without a load attached, you run the risk of burning the inputs on the amp, and to prevent this, you disconnect the RCAs.

Problem is, the way the amplifier is mounted in my car, connecting and disconnecting the RCAs isn't the easiest thing to do. SO if I were to connect the RCAs and just leave the amp powered off (pull the fuse), do I still run the risk of burning inputs?

Edited by BJD3

You may be offended by the above. Don't take it personally, I'm just abrasive.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

doubt it because theres no power to the amp. could be wrong though

Steve I don't know why but everytime I see your new paint I want a Dr. Pepper...... is this normal?

heres an analogy for you. running a high power stereo without a fuse is like having unprotected sex with that hot chick at the bar with the sketchy sexual history. Sure you may be fine and nothing happens but that one time something does happen you're fucked.

i dont want woofer broke like bass sound clip clip and voice coil overheat

2 sa12s, saz1500 build log http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/91183-chapo123s-sundown-build-log/page__gopid__1250604entry1250604

1j1450.png

If you pull out the fuse, no (positive) power is running to it. I don't think anything will happen

On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

and im kinda wondering this too because sometime im rolling around with the subs hooked up but turned off (on the hu) with just highs playing... why hasnt the amp burnt up yet? hm? and i do it frequently too

Steve I don't know why but everytime I see your new paint I want a Dr. Pepper...... is this normal?

heres an analogy for you. running a high power stereo without a fuse is like having unprotected sex with that hot chick at the bar with the sketchy sexual history. Sure you may be fine and nothing happens but that one time something does happen you're fucked.

2 sa12s, saz1500 build log http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/91183-chapo123s-sundown-build-log/page__gopid__1250604entry1250604

1j1450.png

and im kinda wondering this too because sometime im rolling around with the subs hooked up but turned off (on the hu) with just highs playing... why hasnt the amp burnt up yet? hm? and i do it frequently too

I'd assume that's because you don't have a signal going to the amplifier?

Blind leading the blind here. lol

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

OH! right lmao

1j1450.png

I'd assume that's because you don't have a signal going to the amplifier?

Blind leading the blind here. lol

correct.

i dont understand why the input of the amp burns up from this but im assuming its because its getting power and not able to do anything with it. even with the amp off, power from the rca is still being fed to the amp. is it any different with the amp off? no idea. safest way would be to pull the rca or just hook up an old speaker and turn the gain down lol.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

correct.

i dont understand why the input of the amp burns up from this but im assuming its because its getting power and not able to do anything with it. even with the amp off, power from the rca is still being fed to the amp. is it any different with the amp off? no idea. safest way would be to pull the rca or just hook up an old speaker and turn the gain down lol.

I guess I'll just pull the RCAs to be on the safe side then. Its probably possible to turn off the subs from the HU, but A) I don't know how to do that and B) I don't know if the HU will turn the subs back on when I turn my car off and back on.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

it absolutely should keep its settings after a reset. it would be very stupid if it didnt. what hu do you have? its a good feature to know how to use. makes it easy to test the mids/highs without the subs overpowering them.

BTW, i love the disclaimer in your sig. ive been thinking about putting something like that for a while now.

edit - oh ya, tape up the rca ends or something. the middle prong is a + and can short out.

Edited by skittlesRgood

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.