Second Skin Audio

Verify my box please

TommyK

Im building a box for a 12" sub. I used RE box calculator and came up with this:

Box width: 20"

Box Height 14"

Box depth: 12.5"

Bottom depth: 12.5"

Wood thickness: .75

Square port height: 12.5"

Square port width: 1.1"

Square port length 1: 10.65"

Square port length 2: 8"

Total port length: 21.05"

Its telling me the box will be at about 1.29 cubic feet and be tuned to about 34.41 Hz. Now ive heard people say that the Re box calculator can be wrong sometimes. Given these dimensions what will my box actually be at?

2003 rsx:Alpine CDE-102Fosgate P300-1Fosgate P1 6.5"s15" Re SRX

That's pretty close I'm coming up with about 33.9hz. But that port is too small, not for the size of the enclosure but port ratio. I would do 2x8 so that you wont have any port noise. But you should already know all this ;)

i was thinking leave the 12 sitting in the box in the hole and duck tape from the bottom of the sub to the bottom of the baffle so the sub doesnt free air. would that work?

That's pretty close I'm coming up with about 33.9hz. But that port is too small, not for the size of the enclosure but port ratio. I would do 2x8 so that you wont have any port noise. But you should already know all this ;)

Thank you! I was thinking about how the port might make port noise, but I figured it wont be heard because they port will be facing back in the trunk am I wrong? And I dont understand what you mean when you say the port ratio is too small, Im rather a noob.

2003 rsx:Alpine CDE-102Fosgate P300-1Fosgate P1 6.5"s15" Re SRX

Archived