Jump to content

4 Ascendant SMD 18's, 36kwrms!! - teamSPB Project D*FN U...NEW UPDATES! 9kwrms PER SMD!!


Recommended Posts

Posted

thats awesome you got your stuff! I dont know if you noticed but one of the boxes was opened because i was taking a look at the screens.....just lettin you know in case you are wondering why one was factory sealed and the other wasnt LOL! I didnt open all of it and it really looks MUCH better on the bench rather then just a bunch of boxes!

congrats on the win, i know its been a few months but at least you got it! Whenever i do a contest, i do NOT close it off to just the U.S.A and its a chance i take that someone overseas will win. It makes it tougher and it takes longer but at least we were able to do it. I know it was in a container with some Fi products so it took even longer then usual but it was the easiest way.

thanks for putting up the pictures and most of all thanks to http://www.Audiosavings.com for putting up such a nice prize!! :drinks:


All SMD products + MORE available at my store here! https://wccaraudio.com/ 
wc2022-red-black-whitebg_1667625898__08138.original.png.02e514af82dce531edf1aa4a36851c60.png

Subscribe to My Youtube Channel! Over 1,000,000 subscribers strong! Turn on your notifications!
http://www.youtube.com/meade916

 

Follow My Instagram! Daily live feeds from the shop, exclusive content way before it hits my Youtube channel...and little squares with photo's in them :D
http://www.instagram.com/meade916

The Official SMD Facebook fan Page
https://www.facebook.com/SteveMeadeDesigns/

Follow my Tweet (Twitter)
http://www.Twitter.com/meade916
 

 

 

Posted

this was a sick ass build. dam son you got some crzy shit goin on over there lol. congrats on winning and as always continue to bump

2000 tahoe

orion hcca 15.4

kicker zx2500

2 JL 300/4s

infinity and kicker mids/highs

KHC1400 in back, stock upfront

dont ask about my HU

clarion EQ

kicker/fosgate rcas

Posted

Right now, where do I start on the alternators!!

You can see a bit of info here http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/ipb/index.php/topic/345046-huge-thank-you-to-the-guys-at-grove-auto-parts/

Lets start from the beginning...

Having known I will need some BIG alts to run my system, I originally planned on getting 3 XS Power 300a alts...however, the pricing on them was a bit more than I wanted to pay at the time so started looking at alternatives! After speaking to Adam (Dumdum), he assured me some alts he could source would be perfect and plenty enough for the job in hand...having arranged things with Adam to sort the external regulator mods out, we both decided it was time to hunt down the alts.Sonnie at Grove Auto Parts came up trumps after seeing his alts on a few UK vehicles doing the business....he suppled me with 3 210a Mitsibushi alts to get the ball rolling!

Et Voila!!

IMG_2582-1.jpg

IMG_2562.jpg

IMG_2558.jpg

IMG_2553.jpg

IMG_2551.jpg

IMG_2547.jpg

These were sourced and bought in JUNE 2010!!!

Pics of the bonnet area layout with bits of the heater box removed

IMG_2893.jpg

No AC pump...perfect!

IMG_2919.jpg

IMG_2879.jpg

IMG_2882.jpg

Spare 4rib belt

IMG_2885.jpg

OEM alt

IMG_2897.jpg

Alts were posted off to Dumdum to get modded and for him to supply me with an external reg...I got these back on the 9th of August...sweet...now time to arrange when they can be fitted....

A date was agreed for the vehicle to be dropped off....this was then delayed....delayed again....delayed further....you get the picture..... :unsure: :unsure: FINALLY on Aug 31st the Previa was dropped off all the way in Derby, some 130-140miles away with promises of the build taking 1-2 weeks max!

After going around 10days with no phone calls or anything, I needed my MOT certificate which was in the car...after a GOOD number of calls, I finally got an answer! Again, plenty of promises progress was being made etc etc and designs were being finalised etc....but he seemed to be avoiding all my calls and texts...great!!! :angry: :angry:

I then get texts saying that he has hurt himself and wont be able to finish at the agreed (delayed) date...I understood things happen so was being very calm and agreed to wait longer....

Another week of avoiding my phone calls I finally get a call back explaining he had been away fishing etc etc....fair do's....

At this point you can imagine what im thinking........this guy has my vehicle, with God knows how many thousands of pounds worth of audio in...and he is clearly avoiding my calls and not getting back to me...text or phone calls!

I then get a phone call at the end of the September saying that he cant do the work as his manager doesnt want the vehicle there any more and no 'after work' work can be carried out in the workshop....

A month of my time with the vehicle completely wasted...I could of got SOOOO much done in that time that would have probably lead the Previa to be finished now!

As you can imagine, im pretty ticked off at this time...I have just wasted 1 month...and im over £120 lighter in petrol costs and having NOTHING to show for it.....want to know the funny thing?!?....the vehicle looked like it hadnt even been stripped apart...everything seemed the same as when I dropped it...apart from a broken rear view monitor mount which im not sure what caused it to break...as I have only broke it with bass before...

As you can imagine by this time I was fuming...I kept my calm...I politely asked for some money to be put towards petrol however was point blank refused stating he did it for a hobby etc etc....so theres me, collected the vehicle, £120 lighter and the car in the same if not a bit of a worse state then when I dropped it off.....

Off to company number two!!

These guys said they can do it within the week if I dropped it off on monday....PERFECT! Whats more, they were charging less money than the first place!!! So I went to drop it off to them....they seemed like they knew what they were doing...so I left it in good faith....towards the end of the week, I get a phone call saying that the work cannot be done as he hasnt got enough time to work on it and its a bigger job than he thought!

Can we see a pattern forming?! One thing though...atleast he was straight up and said he doesnt have the time...and the thing about this place was I could CLEARLY see everything had been apart, bumper off, rad out, lights out, etc etc...he genuinely said it was more work than he had time for....

After a LONG time debating who to take it to and who could do the work...I even tried tackling the job myself but a lack of welding skills was making it prove difficult...I had plenty of ideas in my head...but was struggling without being able to weld!

Through ALL of th people letting me down, Sonnie and Am were the only ones filling me with a bit of confidence...Sonnie was sure he could take on the work not a problem, but workshop issues on his end meant there will be a delay before I could go and drop it off for work to commence.

After my Gran passed away, I agreed to still drop it off to him as it was the best time as the Previa would not even get a look at while everything was going on for my Gran...so on 21st Feb it was dropped to Sonnie to let him and his team work their magic!

I was impressed with the workshop and the fact they were already stripping the Previa down while I was stll discussing things with Sonnie! After being filled with confidence, I was on my way back home and even before I had got home, I had already recieved 2-3 phone calls going through some fine details and answering Sonnies questions about some cabling in the vehicle...

Now, Sonnie originally said it will take a week...however, with my Grans funeral that week, I told him to keep it longer....which was a good thing! After going through various designs, Sonnie settled for design number 1...everything was built and fitted, however, Sonnie wasnt 101% on the design and wasnt happy with the belt configuration. So design number 2 was built...again, there were teething problems with this design to...so onto design number 2.5 which was a slightly revised design 2 by moving the idler/tensioner further away! Now things were looking better! BUT this now caused an issue with the fan touching the tensioner! This was solved with my permission to cut around 0.75" off each of the fan blades!

Now the alts were finally fitted!!!

DSC01845.jpg

DSC01836.jpg

DSC01834.jpg

DSC01839.jpg

DSC01838.jpg

DSC01840.jpg

DSC01828.jpg

There are a few teething problems...subframe mounts need to be renewed due to the extra weight on it now (probably an extra 25-30kgs if not a bit more!), I also need to make 1 more support for the cradle to give it extra support, and the engine doesnt idle when all 3 alts are running LOL!!! We have got round this problem by putting the alts on switches....so I can have either no alts, 1 alt, or all 3 alts running....everyday use ill use 1 alt, when demoing ill use 3 should I need to!

A quick booming session last night showed the alts charging at 14.8v, and with 1 alt running lowest voltage I saw was 13.9v (with lights on), with all 3 running, voltage was a rock solid 14.7v! I didnt give it too much volume but at similar volumes I used to see around 12.2v on the stock alt!

Enough of my crap!!! Thank you and goodnight LOL!

For ALL your electrical needs, call

Sonnie Grove Auto Parts 0208 679 2922 / 0208 640 3068 / 07956 922742

teamSPB

Posted

thats awesome you got your stuff! I dont know if you noticed but one of the boxes was opened because i was taking a look at the screens.....just lettin you know in case you are wondering why one was factory sealed and the other wasnt LOL! I didnt open all of it and it really looks MUCH better on the bench rather then just a bunch of boxes!

congrats on the win, i know its been a few months but at least you got it! Whenever i do a contest, i do NOT close it off to just the U.S.A and its a chance i take that someone overseas will win. It makes it tougher and it takes longer but at least we were able to do it. I know it was in a container with some Fi products so it took even longer then usual but it was the easiest way.

thanks for putting up the pictures and most of all thanks to http://www.Audiosavings.com for putting up such a nice prize!! :drinks:

Cheers Steve!! Yes it definately was a good feeling winning SOTM...something I can brag about that not many people in the UK can!! Now its time to RAMP up the power and get some 30k into the woofers and see what they can do!!

In regards to the delivery time on the bits...no biggy mate...wasnt in a rush to get them...some of them are going into our Passat and the rest of the bits im still a bit undecided on what to do with them as I have no need for them...but its still handy having them if I do!

Not to worry about opening one of the packs...we did find a 'The Hangover' DVD in one of them to LOL!!! Would you like it back? lol!

teamSPB

Posted

Thought I would post some more info on the alts...

As you are aware, there are some problems with the alt setup...well there are 2 problems...

1) Idle issues...this will be resolved when I have some more time with the car...the solutions are relatively simple...raise idle speed by one mean or another!

2) Make a support bar for the alt assembly and change all the mounts on the mini-subframe as the alts rock like crazy....again a simple fix...need new mounts and a supprt bar welding in place which I will hopefully get round to designing over the weekend.

One thing I dont think I mentioned are that the alts are on switches....I can switch between 0-3 alts at any time I want...I have one switch controlling the first alt (on its own) and the regulator...this will switch the reg on and power up the first alternator...then I have another switch which will allow the remaining 2 alts to kick in as well...meaning all 3 running! VERY VERY handy to help the running of the car, longetivity of the engine, and helps save fuel BIG time!

Heres some more pics of the alt setups

DSC01867.jpg

DSC01866.jpg

DSC01865.jpg

DSC01862.jpg

DSC01861.jpg

DSC01860.jpg

DSC01859.jpg

DSC01858.jpg

DSC01857.jpg

As you can see the fabrication skills are awesome...I need to paint one bracket which will be done over the weekend...

While we were out, thought I would take some other pics to

DSC01853.jpg

DSC01851.jpg

DSC01854.jpg

DSC01850.jpg

DSC01855.jpg

I have got some video clips to of the air ride and the alt setup...however youtube is being dumb and not letting me upload...ill try it again later!

teamSPB

Posted

As I was saying earlier, I wasnt able to upload the vids onto YouTube...luckily all done now!

Remember I was saying I needed to make a brace for the alternators...this is why...

The rock is due to 2 main reasons...the mini-subframe rubber mounts need replacing, and I need to make a brace on the top...the rubber mounts are the main cause of the rocking. I will hopefully go and see the guys at Powerflex tomorrow and see if they can custom make me some polyutherane bushes.

I also have an adjustable regulator on the car...so I can change the voltage whenever I need to. Its a simple adjustment knob which is connected to my regulator...highest I have set it to so far is 15.3v with no issues

Finally....some videos of the air ride....HUGE thanks to Ray at Rayvern for sorting this!

Dont you just LOVE camber!

teamSPB

Posted

I'm loving that alternator setup. I especially like the idea on being able to turn them on and off, I want to do that with my Saab. Just one question, why is the belt backwards on the one alternator? And does that one still work and put out full output? Just seems quite odd to me.

Need Test Tones/Sine Waves? Click Here!

My Saab 9000 build
1993 Saab 9000 Aero 5spd
Pioneer - Zapco - Hifonics - Sundown Audio - O2 Audio - RE Audio

Just Say No To Rear Speakers
Just Say No To CCA Wire
Real Men Drive Stick

Hit me up on Facebook, if you want

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 2856 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...