Sonic Electronix

Kill two boxes with one stone

I have been reading various forums about this topic. Many people say the main differences between a sealed and ported box is SQ and SPL. For someone who wants good sound quality, you should go with a sealed box since it offers more control. And for those who want pure thump, should go with a sealed box. Then there are bandpass boxes, which I havent really looked into, but dont be confused since I am not talking about a bandpass box. What I have been thinking about lately is a dual subwoofer setup where on half of the box is sealed, and the other side is larger, ported, and properly tuned.

I have a dual 12" RF P3 set up in my trunk. It really rattles the shit out of my car. But I have always wondered how much louder I could get it. They are in a sealed box and with the recommended box volume of 1.0 ft3 and I am very happy with them.

I have often wondered how different they would sound ported and if they would really be that much louder. They are in the trunk of a 2000 Honda Civic Coupe. I like the way my subs respond right now.

But here is what I have been thinking about lately. What would happen if I built a new box where I had both of my subs in the same box, but the box would be divided so that one subwoofer is running in a sealed half of the enclosure and the other is in a ported enclosure? This way one sub would be able to get that nice tight bass response, while the other would be able to push lots of air and that thumping bass. The only thing that I can see being a problem is the two subwoofers playing the same note very differently and creating a lot of distortion.

Let me know what you think. I feel like it could be pretty cool to have two different setups in the same car in order to get a wider and more varied bass response.

TY

Moet poppin', hoe hoppin', aint no stoppin' B.I.G. poppa, I'm a bad boy

Party and Bullshit - The Notorious B.I.G.

Honest estimate on this truck when it's all done........... 172.3...........

Ehh.. U are aware of what 172.3 is, right?

yep.....:)

Two Pyle 15"s Build log

I have been reading various forums about this topic. Many people say the main differences between a sealed and ported box is SQ and SPL. For someone who wants good sound quality, you should go with a sealed box since it offers more control. And for those who want pure thump, should go with a sealed box. Then there are bandpass boxes, which I havent really looked into, but dont be confused since I am not talking about a bandpass box. What I have been thinking about lately is a dual subwoofer setup where on half of the box is sealed, and the other side is larger, ported, and properly tuned.

I have a dual 12" RF P3 set up in my trunk. It really rattles the shit out of my car. But I have always wondered how much louder I could get it. They are in a sealed box and with the recommended box volume of 1.0 ft3 and I am very happy with them.

I have often wondered how different they would sound ported and if they would really be that much louder. They are in the trunk of a 2000 Honda Civic Coupe. I like the way my subs respond right now.

But here is what I have been thinking about lately. What would happen if I built a new box where I had both of my subs in the same box, but the box would be divided so that one subwoofer is running in a sealed half of the enclosure and the other is in a ported enclosure? This way one sub would be able to get that nice tight bass response, while the other would be able to push lots of air and that thumping bass. The only thing that I can see being a problem is the two subwoofers playing the same note very differently and creating a lot of distortion.

Let me know what you think. I feel like it could be pretty cool to have two different setups in the same car in order to get a wider and more varied bass response.

Doing this will cause cancellation

If you do a bandpass box correctly, you can see a wider freq response than ported, louder than sealed and even sometimes save space- in some cases

you will get cancellation in a few different ways, multiple ported boxes tuned at different freqs, different size sealed boxes, or mixing sealed, and ported, and different woofer sizes, and brands

reason why this happens is, in different boxes, the cones DO move at different rates of speed, and excursion even though the subs will receive the same signal

Like a ported box tuned at 40hz, will barely move at 40hz, I mean depending on power, port size, may be 1/8th of an inch, maybe 1/2 inch, while in sealed maybe your getting 2 to 3 times the excursion.

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

Many people say the main differences between a sealed and ported box is SQ and SPL.

this is one thing that I don't get why people say this. you can make a ported box sound just as good as any sealed box just by making it better quality..the crappier you make it the worse it will sound..the difference is the frequency range ported boxes only have a certain area they sound good at sealed boxes have a more even sound with all frequencies.

only thing you can do is experiment, build a ported for both make sure you round the port us 45s etc so you have good sq as well and see how you like it.

then you can try out a bandpass type box after.

it's all about experimenting and finding out what pleases ears the most.

Alpine CDA-9887

15" FI BL

JBL BP1200.1

Rockford Fosgate p142 4" front

Rockford Fosgate p1S652 6.5" rear

Optima D35 yellow top under hood

Big 3

all in a 1997 Toyota Tercel

ok thanks!

I think when I get the chance I'll just be building a ported box. Right now my subs hit plenty hard but other than messing with some wires, I am running out of stuff I want to do to my car. But I do want to experiment with my system a little. What do you think is better, a square slot port or a round port?

TY

Two Pyle 15"s Build log

depends, personally I think slot/square is easier and allows for more opportunities, but rounds look awesome with huge flares. Really depends on what suits you. You can make both perform practically the same way.

My RE MT 18" wall build Former build, farewell beloved wall.In progress, Toyota Starlet build

This forum has a massive boner for ridiculous electrical upgrades.

• 1 month later...

well i built my box and ended up with a slot port but now im wishing i had gotten some nice round ports

could have gotten some more volume and what not. but i could not get my hands on any PVC in time

the slot port vs round port did not physically change the volume that much,

but using the slot port used up another 12 inches of wood that I would have been able to divide and get a 16 in thick box vs a 12 in thick box

oh well, live and learn

ty

TY

Two Pyle 15"s Build log

Archived