iPad in car...need help keeping it cool

I mounted an iPad 3g in my car with a Audio Control 3.1 equalizer and couldn't be happier. I will put a iPad in every car I get from now on I am so happy with it. The only problem I have with the iPad is it's getting really hot when I leave it in the car in the sun for hours at a time and it displays a message on the screen that says, "iPad needs to cool down before you can use it."

The quickest way to get this message to go away is removing the iPad from the dash and holding it in front of the A/c for 5 minutes and restarting it 1 or 2 times. Yes that works, although it takes a long time when your in a hurry.

The reason I come here is to see what ideas you can come up with to prevent this. One idea I have yet to try so far is making a reflective cover for the screen to reflect the heat.

Other ideas I have came across is mounting a cool pack that is powered by 12v system and attaching it to the back of the iPad and it will keep it cool while the car is off and using minimal battery...the downside I haven't found where I could by this.

So if anyone has any ideas please post up! Thanks

EDIT: THE iPAD OVERHEATING IS NOT FROM USE, IT'S FROM BEING IN THE SUN. I NEED SOMETHING TO KEEP IT FROM GETTING HEAT IN THE SUN. Tint is not an option.

error message:

ipad_overheat.jpg

iPad mounted:

38390_417985447670_667632670_5299353_4376791_n.jpg

Car:

35738_415751022670_667632670_5242328_1369269_n.jpg

34764_419264662670_667632670_5332681_1373811_n.jpg

hit up techforce, he knows ALOT about computers and im sure he knows something about keeping them cool too.

under construction

I hate People with crappy primered cars rolling on hubcaps that are louder then me.

u hate c-fizzy?

i cant really help you but sick set up and i love your avalanche!

24v1fe8.png

wow now this just shows that smd isnt just any forum. We are a brother hood.

here let me put it in retard-onix for u aareehhhh duuuurrrrr ehhh got it now?

Sweet baby jesus the amount of quoting the quote above the quote in a quote is epic

hit up techforce, he knows ALOT about computers and im sure he knows something about keeping them cool too.

Ok if he doesn't chime in ill send him a pm...just just so its clear its not the iPad getting overheated from use like a computer would, its being left in the car in Florida sunny weather that gets it so hot. So adding fans or something like that wouldn't help as it would on a computer.

i cant really help you but sick set up and i love your avalanche!

Thanks buddy

Rig some 12v fans on a aluminum bracket behind it. Not much you can do about mobile devices overheating, I've never had a problem like that with my ipod touch/ipad so that's all you can really do..

Edit: Your above post says that fans won't help, but yes, they will.

00' Nissan Xterra

Always under construction :]

HU: Pioneer DEH3100-UB

Mids & Highs: Kicker DS Component Set & Crescendo tweeters

Mids & Highs Amp: Rockford 150.2

Subwoofer: 2 DC Audio LV 4 18"s

Subwoofer Amp: Hifonics Brutus 2005d

you been hanging out with jeff and dustin with that green paint? its yellow so it has to be loud.

you should get a windshield cover, the like-metallic fold out things. im not sure, but i think they relieve the car from a lot of heat entering the car.

wizv.jpg

200a alt. by Excessive Amperage

hc800 under hood & 2 Deka 9a31 in rear

1/0awg + big 3

SAZ 3000D

HDC3 18" @ 2 ohm

Rig some 12v fans on a aluminum bracket behind it. Not much you can do about mobile devices overheating, I've never had a problem like that with my ipod touch/ipad so that's all you can really do..

Edit: Your above post says that fans won't help, but yes, they will.

Its not while im driving it or while the iPad is in use, its while its sitting in Florida heat!

If its just the heat from outside, all i can say is 5% tint all the way around :clapping:

Lol normally I would say yes and thats what I have on my crown vic (5% on front/0% on back) but i'm keeping this car fish bowl

you should get a windshield cover, the like-metallic fold out things. im not sure, but i think they relieve the car from a lot of heat entering the car.

I hadn't even thought about that I might try that if all else fails.

Its not while im driving it or while the iPad is in use, its while its sitting in Florida heat!

I live in Florida.. You can't complain about mobile devices having heating problems when they're left out in the sun.. Looks like you have no window tint so there's your problem. There's no magical way to keep something cold when the heat index is 110.

Edit: Like I said put fans, and when the car turns on the fans will cool it down instead of having to take it out and hold it in front of the ac.

00' Nissan Xterra

Always under construction :]

HU: Pioneer DEH3100-UB

Mids & Highs: Kicker DS Component Set & Crescendo tweeters

Mids & Highs Amp: Rockford 150.2

Subwoofer: 2 DC Audio LV 4 18"s

Subwoofer Amp: Hifonics Brutus 2005d

you been hanging out with jeff and dustin with that green paint? its yellow so it has to be loud.

I live in Florida.. You can't complain about mobile devices having heating problems when they're left out in the sun.. Looks like you have no window tint so there's your problem. There's no magical way to keep something cold when the heat index is 110.

Edit: Like I said put fans, and when the car turns on the fans will cool it down instead of having to take it out and hold it in front of the ac.

I'm not complaining about it im looking for a fix. And im not looking for a bandaid for the problem by blowing more hot air onto it with some little computer fans, im looking for something that will prevent it in the first place!

Archived