Sonic Electronix

Help.....Half my speakers are dead ....

So. I am fairly new to car audio, I have messed up installing a capacitor.

I don't know what information will help so Ill go down the list. 2007 Silverado, Alpine CDA 9887, Rockford Fosgate T10001bd amp, 2 12" Kicker CompVR's and 6 type R 6 1/2's (Doors and Pillars) After I installed a new cap last night the front doors and Tweeters in the pillars stopped working. But the Cap, Amp, Subs, Head Unit and Rear Speakers Work Fine As far as I can tell .....if I isolate the front speakers there is a slight whine, I think that there is a ground issue......Would a bad ground on the Cap cause this.....and if so. how do I test a possible ground location. i.e. measure for ohms etc.....

Thanks

How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

ok first of all just get rid of the cap its pointless it just looks cool for show and if there is a ground problem i would get a ground loop isolator and makes sure that your ground is on the frame and the paint is sanded to get a metal to metal contact and if you do all that it should eliminate the noise and if you don't want to bolt a hole in the frame i would just run a power wire right up to the battery ground terminal to get that best ground

Edited by memphisbasshead

My Car Audio Setup:

Sub: 1 RE Audio HC 15 Dual 2 ohm(soon to get a psi recone)

Daily Sub Box: 1.62 cubes net with 2 dayton audio 8 inch passive radiators tuned to 34.35 hz, 141.9 @ 48 hz sealed on the dash with termlab

Competition Sub Box: 3.10 cubic ft. net tuned to 50.58 hz with 2 6 inch aeroports, 147.9 @ 62 hz sealed on the dash with termlab

Amp: Powerbass ASA 1000.1 Dx(eventually gonna get a planet audio bb2400.1)

Big 3: Phoenix Gold 1/0 Gauge

Amp Wire: Knukoncepts 1/0 gauge

Alternator: Stock 90 amp

Battery Under the hood: Autocraft Gold Top Battery

Battery In Back: None for now but I am looking for one so pm me if you have one for sale

HU: Pioneer DEH-2900MP

Front/Rear Amp: Hifonics Txi-4408 4 channel amp

Front Speakers: Orion Cobalt 6.5 coaxial

Rear Deck Speakers: Orion Cobalt 6x9 coaxial

Home Audio Setup:

Speakers:2 Cerwin Vega D-3's (10" Woofer,5 1/4" mid-range,1" Bullet Dome Tweeter)

2 Cerwin Vega D-5's (12" Directed Audio Xtreme 124SX Subwoofer,5 1/4 mid-range,1" Bullet Dome Tweeter)Kenwood center channel and rears.

Amp: 2 Kenwood KM-105's from 1985

Receiver: JVC RX-6008V 5.1 Channel Receiver

Pre-Amp: Kenwood KC-993

Sub: still looking for one thinking about getting a 18 or 15 for my sub to hit the lows if anyone has one pm me

I do free box designs if anyone is interested

take the crapacitor out. let me ask you this, when you ran your signal/rca cables and your power cables, did you run them on opposite sides of the car or on the same side? running them together will cause the rca's to pick up EMI (electromagnetic interference, aka noise) and transfer it to your speakers in the form of a whine. if/when they are apart from eachother and the whine is still there, get a ground loop isolator.

take the crapacitor out. let me ask you this, when you ran your signal/rca cables and your power cables, did you run them on opposite sides of the car or on the same side? running them together will cause the rca's to pick up EMI (electromagnetic interference, aka noise) and transfer it to your speakers in the form of a whine. if/when they are apart from eachother and the whine is still there, get a ground loop isolator.

The Power and RCA are as far apart as I can get them (under the door sill plates on either side) but as to my question about the front speakers not working(except for the interference signal) could a crossed wire over ride signal from the Head Unit?

How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

The Power and RCA are as far apart as I can get them (under the door sill plates on either side) but as to my question about the front speakers not working(except for the interference signal) could a crossed wire over ride signal from the Head Unit?

You should test if the speakers even work... get a AA battery or something and put positive speaker wire on battery positive then touch negative speaker wire to negative battery side. You'll hear a crackling sound as you move the negative wire around and if that works then you are having some type of interference. Are the speakers on an amp? if they are, switch them to the other set of terminals and see if they work on those (could be dead channel)

00' Nissan Xterra

Always under construction :]

HU: Pioneer DEH3100-UB

Mids & Highs: Kicker DS Component Set & Crescendo tweeters

Mids & Highs Amp: Rockford 150.2

Subwoofer: 2 DC Audio LV 4 18"s

Subwoofer Amp: Hifonics Brutus 2005d

you been hanging out with jeff and dustin with that green paint? its yellow so it has to be loud.

Maybe I'm not thinking straight but what would a cap have anything to do with your components? are you sure you didn't disconnect them on accident? stupid question but shit happens.

Another stupid question, did you check your front to back fade, Maybe while you were working on it you switched them on accident, I know... a lot of "what ifs" but its the stupid things that always get me...

My First Build on SMD (Blow Through)

2004 Ford F-350 SD Lariat

Pioneer 3200BT DVD Deck

Infinity Reference Components not powered

Bully Dog Gauge Cluster Pyro, Turbo, Trans

SF3 SCT Tuner W/Customs

If you can't Join em' Crush em'

You should test if the speakers even work... get a AA battery or something and put positive speaker wire on battery positive then touch negative speaker wire to negative battery side. You'll hear a crackling sound as you move the negative wire around and if that works then you are having some type of interference. Are the speakers on an amp? if they are, switch them to the other set of terminals and see if they work on those (could be dead channel)

Thanks .....il try the AA battery idea.......hope I didnt ruin something reversing current into the Head unit...

Thanks .....il try the AA battery idea.......hope I didnt ruin something reversing current into the Head unit...

Soo....thanks for all the input, I thought I would report in......turns out that the 0/1 Power wire for the cap was about three inches away from the wiring under the dash for the front speakers under .....I made a new path through the firewall......problem solved.

Duh....thanks Again

Soo....thanks for all the input, I thought I would report in......turns out that the 0/1 Power wire for the cap was about three inches away from the wiring under the dash for the front speakers under .....I made a new path through the firewall......problem solved.

Duh....thanks Again

I think I missed something, but you are saying that power wire that was too close to your speaker wires was making the speakers not play?

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

I think I missed something, but you are saying that power wire that was too close to your speaker wires was making the speakers not play?

As best as i can figure .....they were playing but the interference noise over rode the output from the head unit......like I said at the top of the post ....I don't know a lot about this stuff.....or maybe its an unrelated issue and I bupmed something?