Mechman Alternators

Volvo alternator upgrade

My buddy wanted to improve the alternator on his Volvo, so I hooked him up. He wanted something that would provide more consistent voltage than the OEM externally regulated alternator, handle the potential high revs of auto crossing, have less rotating resistance, be lighter if possible, and provide better output if possible. So, we came up with a nice little bolt in upgrade kit.

Here's a shot of the OEM 65 amp unit. (LAME) It weighs right at 11 lbs

102_4101.jpg

Here's a shot of the new 140 amp unit, weighing in at only 10 lbs (YAY!)

Is is a much more modern ,efficient design, and features special low resistance bearings for reduced drag. We also shaved a bit off the internal fan to reduce drag. The oversize custom rectifier does not require as much airflow to remain reliable at this amperage level.

102_4102.jpg

The included precision billet spacers take the place of the anemic worn out rubber alternator bracket bushings. These special bushings both eliminate excessive alternator movement and belt mis-alignment during racing conditions, and allow the modern alternator to bolt right in.

102_4098.jpg

I Machined the alternator housing and an integrated spacer for the adjustment arm results in a clean, factory fit. We also blasted and burnished my buddy's stock bracket so it would fit in with his shiny new alternator.

102_4100.jpg

102_4103.jpg

This guy actually road races his car, so we set him up with our lightest AGM battery, the S375. The complete unit with bracket and terminals weighs less than 12 lbs!! that's a 30 lb savings over the stock battery!! We've used this battery to start my little brother's Cummin's turbo diesel truck over 30 times in a row with no problems, so it will work great as a startng battery on the Volvo engine.

102_4095.jpg

The fabbed aluminum bracket will mount the battery down low, right next to the starter, which should save another couple pounds worth of cable, AND get the weight down low in the chassis.

102_4096.jpg

102_4097.jpg

Total weight savings after pulling the battery tray and other tid-bits should be over 35 lbs, AND he will have a stronger, more consistent charging system. While we were developing this kit, we also came up with natural finish 105 amp kit for people who don't need quite as much current (or the bling) as well as a 200 amp version for folks running large audio systems. Thanks for reading!!