Sonic Electronix

Also for the original poster.. Read this thread, it will tell you how to properly set the amplifiers gain with a digital multimeter (which is needed many times over and over in the car audio world).

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/4382-setting-amplifier-gain-control/

And my personal prefrence is to NEVER USE BASSBOOST. Bassboost is generally intended to give you more bass at lower volume levels, when your running full tilt (even with a properly set gain) and add bassboost to it, you start to clip your woofers, and cause more heat.

Bassboost will not make your full tilt volume any louder to the ear or spl meter so the point in using it is senseless :)

Cliff notes:

You can't hurt a sub by giving it too little power. The only time you will hurt it is if you try to crank your amp past its limits (maxing the gain and bassboost).

Like someone said above, every time you don't have your stereo turned up to full blast it's 'underpowering' your speakers. They are just fine.

2002 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi

Pioneer DEH-P6000UB

Alpine SPX-17REF 6.5" components (active)

Sundown SAX-50.4

Sundown z15 (3 cubes @ 35 hz)

Sundown SAX-1200D

2006 Buick Rainier CXL AWD V8

Stock Bose system

12" Alpine Type E in aeroported box

Profile AP1000M

hes been trying to blow the woofers, he finnialy succeded, now hes rocking 2 woofers, which = more power to each woofer :), but they got the clipping worked out i think

ninja thread jack

The use of 1 less woofer and most likely a higher impedance rise due to the fact of been 1 woofer down does not mean more power in any way shape or form.

The tad more power that the woofers could possibly see is almost simultaneously gone due to the fact of having a hotter voice coils with 2 subs vs 3 and having a much larger impedance rise caused by the heat. :)

As long as you keep the distortion down you won't have a problem. :good:

:orly3:

i was thinking leave the 12 sitting in the box in the hole and duck tape from the bottom of the sub to the bottom of the baffle so the sub doesnt free air. would that work?

hey, similar problem, i have just bought a 10" Kenwood typhoon which is 600w peak and i need to know if it is okay on a standard head unit as i am concentrating on the bodywork of my car before buying a new head unit and amplifier.

so is 4 6" as 50w each and a 10" at 600w okay on a standard sterio no amp?

JnDCustoms

Suzuki SJ410 4X4

JVC HeadUnit (stock)

Shark 260w amplifier

10" Kenwood Typhoon

2 6" mids

2 1" Tweets

www.jndcustoms.co.uk

hey, similar problem, i have just bought a 10" Kenwood typhoon which is 600w peak and i need to know if it is okay on a standard head unit as i am concentrating on the bodywork of my car before buying a new head unit and amplifier.

so is 4 6" as 50w each and a 10" at 600w okay on a standard sterio no amp?

For short, no.

I'm not sure how you even wired a sub to the head unit. Can you explain a little bit more? The problem here (aside from extremely underpowering it) is that you may have it wired to an impedance too low for the head unit, and on top of that I;m not sure how you would filter out the highs.

There's just too many things that can go wrong by doing this. Just get a cheap 300w rms amp and call it done :)

DAT 4125------>RE XXX comps active

Eclipse cd7000

I serve drunks for a living :D

For short, no.

I'm not sure how you even wired a sub to the head unit. Can you explain a little bit more? The problem here (aside from extremely underpowering it) is that you may have it wired to an impedance too low for the head unit, and on top of that I;m not sure how you would filter out the highs.

There's just too many things that can go wrong by doing this. Just get a cheap 300w rms amp and call it done :)

thanks mate, i havent actually got the woofer wired in, its still at home waiting to be fitted. i will see what amp i can get.

300w amp be okay for it then?

cheers

JnDCustoms

Suzuki SJ410 4X4

JVC HeadUnit (stock)

Shark 260w amplifier

10" Kenwood Typhoon

2 6" mids

2 1" Tweets

www.jndcustoms.co.uk