Puberty coming earlier for U.S. girls: study

Puberty coming earlier for U.S. girls: study

Girls in the U.S. may be continuing to hit puberty at earlier ages, according to new research.

The findings suggest earlier development than what was reported in a 1997 study and show a worrying pattern, say the study's authors, led by Dr. Frank Biro of Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center. Girls who hit puberty earlier are more likely to engage in risky behavior, Biro's team notes, and might be at a higher risk for breast cancer, than their peers who develop later.

"This could represent a real trend," Dr. Joyce Lee, a pediatric endocrinologist at the University of Michigan who was not involved with the new research, told Reuters Health.

Doctors are unsure of what could be causing girls to develop at a younger age, but rising obesity rates may be to blame, they say.

In a study published today in Pediatrics, Biro's team examined about 1,200 girls aged 7 and 8 in Cincinnati, New York and San Francisco. Researchers, as well as the girls' doctors and nurses, used a standard measure of breast development to determine which girls had started puberty.

Compared to the 1997 findings from girls across the U.S., girls in the current study - especially white girls - were more developed at a younger age. As previous research has shown, there were also large differences in development based on race.

At age 7, approximately 10 percent of white girls and 23 percent of black girls had started developing breasts - compared to 5 percent of white girls and 15 percent of black girls in 1997, the authors write.

Among 8-year-olds in the study, 18 percent of white girls and 43 percent of black girls had entered puberty - an increase from around 11 percent of white girls from 1997, but the same as black girls in that year.

This study and another published today in Pediatrics suggest that being overweight, both as a young child and growing up, makes girls more likely to enter puberty earlier. In the second study, Dr. Mildred Maisonet from Emory University's Rollins School of Public Health and her colleagues observed that gaining weight quickly in infancy - a predictor of later obesity - was linked to early puberty in girls in Great Britain.

Biro's team found that girls with a higher body mass index (BMI) - a ratio of weight and height - at age 7 and 8 were more likely to be developed than their thinner peers.

Those authors warn that their study population, although diverse, doesn't necessarily represent what's happening in all U.S. girls. But they are continuing to follow the girls in the study to see when the rest of them hit puberty, and what other factors might be related to their rate of development.

Biro thinks that rising rates of obesity could be a major reason why girls seem to be developing faster than they did even 13 years ago. "We're on the opposite side of an increase in BMI that has been seen in this country and in other countries," he told Reuters Health.

Researchers know that heavier girls are more likely to enter puberty early, Lee, of the University of Michigan, said. That could be because overweight people have more of a hormone known to be linked to development - but it could also be a matter of the actual nutrients that girls get from their diet, she said.

Lee and Biro said doctors are worried about both the psychological and physical health of girls who hit puberty at a young age.

Studies have shown that girls who develop early are more at risk for depression and often start having sex earlier than girls who develop later.

"For the 11-year old that looks like she's 15 or 16, adults are going to interact with her like she's 15 or 16, but so are her peers," Biro said. Girls who develop early "look physically older," he said. "It doesn't mean that they're psychologically or socially more mature."

In addition, women who spend more of their lives menstruating are at a higher risk for breast cancer - which, depending on when they hit menopause, could be a worry for girls who develop early.

Biro said that there are things families can do to minimize the possible risk of early puberty in young daughters, including eating more fruits and vegetables and eating together as a family.

SOURCES: http://link.reuters.com/veh73n

Pediatrics, online August 9, 2010.

Link

Edited by GRITS

tl:dr

but based on the title i would assume it means now more than ever men must protect themselves and card potential mates. remember kids 15 will get you 20. hell in some places 17 will get you 20.

Fusion With A Stetsom 4k2d on 2 DC XL 15s tuned to 31hz and Subs and ports forward

The Revolution Was Not Televised

But There Is This Thread(clicky)

Dr Merkenstein is my 360 gamertag and my profession. When shit gets real, call in the Doc

I read that earlier. If it happens like that with girls, it might eventually with boys, then we'll have 7 year olds walking around with beards.. Seriously though, that sux for the girl/girls parents. There's already enough perverts in the world, this will give them another "excuse" to do harm, whether emotional or physical

If Morgan Freeman narrated a story on how great AIDS is, I would be captivated and tempted to contract it myself. His voice just fills my soul with warm fuzzies and puppy tears.

He has NO idea and may have a touch of autism to be honest.

Is this guy real or is he joking? i actually mistook him for a lesbian in that demo video

Wanted to mess around with a box for the garage. Was thinking 4 6x9 in 4 cube at like 30 hz...

These are the things that make me lol

interesting but why choose white on such a light background????!?!?

I don't fuck around. I go from zero to I hope you die in less than 2 posts

build log http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/104524-new-subs-coming-sundown-3500d-arc-audio-cable-lacing-crescendo/

tl:dr

but based on the title i would assume it means now more than ever men must protect themselves and card potential mates. remember kids 15 will get you 20. hell in some places 17 will get you 20.

Not only that..... But the increase health risk involved with girls who go into puberty earlier. Increase risk of breast cancer.

For you daddies on here that have little girls 10-11 yrs old is the average age for developing and starting their cycles any age sooner would be a cause for concern.

So I just wonder.... they seemed to base part of that on girls getting breasts.... but if you are fat you have "breasts" no matter what... so wouldn't an increase in average body mass also cause an increase in average boob per age no matter when puberty hits?

I was scared shitless when one of my exes said she got her period when she was 9, but then when i heard a friend telling me she had hers at 10 i believed it. That's really young IMO.

take baby steps, u cant do it all at once unless u have a roll of 100's big enough to choke a donkey

1998 Chevy Venture "Swagger Wagon"

Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 Headunit

3 15" Alpine Type R's in seperate T-Lines

1 RF T1500-1bd for 2 of the 15s

1 RF P1000-1bd for the single 15

3 sets of Hifonics Zeus ZXi6.5C Components( 1 more set to come for Front stage)

1 Hifonics HFi100.4 4-channel amp

Stock alt for now (DC HO SPL 400A when funds come in,currently working on buying this)

Stock battery and one Optima Redtop for now (looking at XS batteries)

3 15" Alpine Type R's (aka Swagger Wagon Build 1.0)

Swagger Wagon Build 2.0

Youtube Videos

So I just wonder.... they seemed to base part of that on girls getting breasts.... but if you are fat you have "breasts" no matter what... so wouldn't an increase in average body mass also cause an increase in average boob per age no matter when puberty hits?

Doctors are unsure of what could be causing girls to develop at a younger age, but rising obesity rates may be to blame, they say.

Biro's team found that girls with a higher body mass index (BMI) - a ratio of weight and height - at age 7 and 8 were more likely to be developed than their thinner peers.

But its not just the boobs, girls are also starting their periods at a younger age.

You also have to look at family history too, what age was their mother, aunts, grandma. What the news stated that the article did not was also environmental chemicals that our kids are absorbing could also be a relating factor in this as well.

I was scared shitless when one of my exes said she got her period when she was 9, but then when i heard a friend telling me she had hers at 10 i believed it. That's really young IMO.

I was 11 when I first started mine, but I was starting to develop boobies when I was 10. But I was also your average "healthy" child back then too. And to look at my pic and know now days I would be considered obese with the BMI index just cause I have some meat on my arms is really fucking disturbing to me.

19575_100287500005547_100000728916244_5042_3049726_n.jpg

I dont agree with the BMI your normal child and adult is gonna have some meat on the back of their arms unless your a bag of bones with skin stretched. Like my grandpa is in that pic to me that is unhealthy.