Sundown Audio

Clipping an amp

PUNKYOU007

first off do NOT use bass boost its just plain old clipping waiting to happen second you did it right jeff set the hu to just below clipping which is typically 3/4 volume but it may not so set it below clipping then do you amps's gain with the knob all the way up.

also i believe some filters can cause clipping not sure on that one i think i heard that somewhere

Johns.jpgSuburban Coming Soon

no turn the volume on your head unit up 3/4, but have all the gains and bass boost down, then when you use the o-scope, turn the gain up first til it starts clippin then back off a hair, then set your bass boost last

oh my god stop talking. 3/4 is a general area of volume if you do not own an oscilloscope. OP does and he tuned his gains CORRECTLY. stop saying he should lower his volume.

i wouldnt touch the bass boost AT ALL! set your HU, then the gain... and yes you keep the bass knob all the way up while tuning...assuming the bass knob controls the gain cut... remember a little clipping wont hurt anything... its the big nasty clipps that you have to worry about...

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/79921-rogers-700-dream-car-update-page-17-a-wall/?p=2335774

93 Saturn SC2My system4 SA-15's Walled

2 Cerwin-Vega S2000's

3 Kinetik Hc2000's

Dual 200amp alts.

you guys done with the peepee touching contest or do I need to end it?

look OP just set your headunit so it doesnt clip at the highest volume possible. for me for example its volume 34 out of 35 everything flat sub level all the way up and im clip free. next up move down the source line, in this case the amplifier. try tuning the gains with a slow sweep from 20hz to 60hz or whatever so you can see if there is clipping (doesnt have to be all the way down to 20hz unless you plan on playing notes that low). Olds is correct, box rise/drop can play a factor in your problem and you shouldnt use that bass boost knob as it doesnt really help anything IMHO.

also speedball, MUST YOU QUADRUPLE POST? like what the fuck its called an edit button

Wouldnt it be better to set the gains with the Oscope around the range of what the box is tuned to? For example; if a box is tuned to 35 hz, wouldnt it be better to set gains with 35hz tone instead of 50hz? I am asking because I am about to buy an oscope...

yeah i would atleast tune it in that area.... if your tuned low you wouldnt want to set your clean power using a 60hz tone...

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/79921-rogers-700-dream-car-update-page-17-a-wall/?p=2335774

93 Saturn SC2My system4 SA-15's Walled

2 Cerwin-Vega S2000's

3 Kinetik Hc2000's

Dual 200amp alts.

you guys done with the peepee touching contest or do I need to end it?

yea i have an oscope as well. i did knob all the way up. head unit set just below clipping. then i left the gains and boost all the way down and measured at the amp output and turned up the line driver till i saw just below clipping out of the amp. setting the gain with your knob all the way down makes no sense. think about it. if u r just below clipping b4 u turn the knob up your gonna be clipping like a mother fucker with it up

2002 ford focus hatch

pioneer DEH-P8400bh

infinity kappa 6.5 components front and rear

XS Power D1200

Shuriken BT-100

audioque 120.4

2 15 inch audioque HDC3 D2

2 audioque 2200d

big 3

mechman 220a alt with external regulator

479-418-3056

look OP just set your headunit so it doesnt clip at the highest volume possible. for me for example its volume 34 out of 35 everything flat sub level all the way up and im clip free. next up move down the source line, in this case the amplifier. try tuning the gains with a slow sweep from 20hz to 60hz or whatever so you can see if there is clipping (doesnt have to be all the way down to 20hz unless you plan on playing notes that low). Olds is correct, box rise/drop can play a factor in your problem and you shouldnt use that bass boost knob as it doesnt really help anything IMHO.

also speedball, MUST YOU QUADRUPLE POST? like what the fuck its called an edit button

Kranny, be nice! LOL! As for the sweep, you would set the gain for there is little to no clipping at any freq that is gonna be played?

no its called quick post... thats what i call it...lol, i'm multitasking sorry if its problem for ya, but it doesn't have any rules on quad posting does it??

edit: here's your edit kranny, if you notice in order to edit, you have to do one more clicking to edit when there's already a white box, thats why they have it there...everyone has their preference of how they want to post...edit or quick post, it doesn't make any difference by the way, but one less click is one thing less to do with the finger and mouse and hand work we put in as a daily task of working and playing online..

Edited by speedball1978

Kranny, be nice! LOL! As for the sweep, you would set the gain for there is little to no clipping at any freq that is gonna be played?

ranted there but seriously 4 sequential posts...

anyways, yeah thats what i would do personally if i were clipping at lower notes. if you werent clipping at 40hz but you can be clipping at 35hz and you can see it on the scope and adjust accordingly