Sundown Audio

Clipping an amp

PUNKYOU007

and in reference to the knob, i was trying to explain that he should disconnect the knob use the oscope for all his settings then reconnect the bass knob then he can crank it all the way up... i think some of you misunderstood what i was saying...

if its a bassboost knob you dont even want to hook it up in my opinion. you already set your gains on the verge of clipping and you want to add a knob that makes your amp output more power. aka clipping. if it was a gain knob like sundown has on their amps then by all means i would use that but in this case no.

wtf... speed is talking out his ass and posting quad times? volume 3/4 the way, your "hand held knob, not the bass boost on the amp" turned all the wqay up, o -scope in hand or DMM then set your gain with 50 hertz. why the hell would you tune it with the hand held knob all the way down. the min you turn it up you'd clip.. <_<

^ speed theres nothing wrong with the knob if you tune it correctly.

Edited by Alex K

2006 Nissan Z Track.

My Feedback Thread

2nqd37b.png

DCSig.jpg

i used to think a band pass was something you were around your neck or something.

bass knob is the last thing you want to use on the setup

i don't even have a bass knob, i just don't use it

Bass knob, yes... do not want.

A lot of amps come with a knob that is related to your gain though. Hence the reason to set your gains either with the remote all of the way up, or unplugged. (same signal) I just don't get people who say they DO NOT run any knob whatsoever... Who wants to drive around blasting 145db listening to music constantly? lol

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Two 12" DC Audio XL M2'sCrescendo Audio BC5500d

Current Scores: 150+ out the Trunk

On 6/30/2011 at 1:11 AM, &#x27;Ray&#x27; said:

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not.

Ok. I am not using the knob that was supplied with the amps. What I have simply goes in line with my sub RCA.

So since I set my gains at 50 hz and I don't clip. But below 50 I do clip you guys are saying I should set my gains with a lower freq?

Edited by PUNKYOU007

TeamDeadlyHertz-PUNKYOU007.png

d(-__-)b

beer sucks...but i can bring some jose cuervo. Only problem is that it makes me horny and gives me the rams. So unless yall wanna fight and then have some great make up sex i will leave it home.

Yes.

Lower frequency = higher current draw = more voltage drop WITHIN the amp = lower clipping point.

If you could put a DMM on your rails you would see them take a nosedive when you give it hell.

But since you have a scope, have a look at how it clips. If it's a soft-clip so the wave just becomes a little harsh on top then don't worry about it, you won't hear it anyway and it won't hurt your subs.

If it's a hard clip and the wav is FLAT on top then you're in the damage zone and should consider backing it off.

Honestly I find a that a pure scope tune (except for SPL) results in a system that isn't super nice on the ears. I usually scope to get a ballpark then nudge it either way by ear to get it sounding nice. After all, you appreciate music with your ears, not with your eyes looking at a scope screen.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!