Second Skin Audio

Ohm load explanation

Aight, so... i got 2 L7s with DVC @ 2ohms.

Question 1:

What are the benefits of wiring them together to one output at 2 ohm.

Example:

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp?Q=2&I=22#results

at 2 ohm

Question 2:

Cant i wire them seperately to 1 ohm?

Example:

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp?Q=1&I=22#results

Really bothering me, because obviously at 2 Ohm they require a more powerful amp that my budget isn't currently equipped to handle lol.

pretty simple question its just bustin my balls and i keep thinking twice.. might as well ask! Cheers guys :)

but in the diagram it shows that a single 2ohm DVC sub can be wired to 1ohm. Thats what gets me. =/ i only know of 2 ohm subs being wired at 0.5,2,and 8.

there are not 3 ways to wire one DVC sub. a 2ohm DVC sub can be wired to 1ohm or 4ohm. series doubles resistance, parallel cuts it in half. with two subs, you wire them in series (4ohm) then parallel them together for 2ohm.

you can get amps rated for 2ohm so budget isnt really a problem. the guy that said wiring the subs to 1ohm then connecting them to the amp would give you 2ohm is wrong. it would give you .5ohm. cause everything is in parallel.

a higher ohm load is more efficient and has better SQ. not that we tend to care about those things around here 8)

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

but in the diagram it shows that a single 2ohm DVC sub can be wired to 1ohm. Thats what gets me. =/ i only know of 2 ohm subs being wired at 0.5,2,and 8.

there are not 3 ways to wire one DVC sub. a 2ohm DVC sub can be wired to 1ohm or 4ohm. series doubles resistance, parallel cuts it in half. with two subs, you wire them in series (4ohm) then parallel them together for 2ohm.

I believe he was referencing to multiple subwoofers, as in two. His original post was related to two subs, which is where I came to that conclusion from. In which case would make him correct on the three different achievable ohm loads.

And lol at sq. Wutsdat?

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Two 12" DC Audio XL M2'sCrescendo Audio BC5500d

Current Scores: 150+ out the Trunk

On 6/30/2011 at 1:11 AM, 'Ray' said:

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not.

I believe he was referencing to multiple subwoofers, as in two. His original post was related to two subs, which is where I came to that conclusion from. In which case would make him correct on the three different achievable ohm loads.

And lol at sq. Wutsdat?

thats what im going off of. but does it really matter? i explained both ways.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

thats what im going off of. but does it really matter? i explained both ways.

Oh. 8)

Well you got me. And I was never claiming anything you said to be incorrect, just thinking too far outside of the box. lol And especially in your second point, I was kind of picturing him as saying that he was paralleling them into the amp as well, but you beat me to it. :D

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Two 12" DC Audio XL M2'sCrescendo Audio BC5500d

Current Scores: 150+ out the Trunk

On 6/30/2011 at 1:11 AM, 'Ray' said:

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not.