Using a fuse for your alt wire??

Hello all,

I have seen several vids of meade's designs on his engines with all the alts and i was wondering... Why would you use a fuse to protect the alternator and the batt? Wouldnt you want to get a ton of power from your alt and not blow a fuse doing it??

And plus, if anybody knows someone who builds brackets for alternators please please hit me up, im going to buy an alt for a 1998 oldsmobile 88 (my current car i drive) and i want to be able to put that same 300 amp alt into my dads 1997 chevy tahoe when i buy it. yes i know that they arent bolted in the same way which sucks but i was wondering if anybody knew some guys who can make me a custom bracket where i can strap the alt of my oldsmobile into the tahoe as a secondary alt.

Thanks in advance!!!

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

you put a fuse in line with the batt and alt. so if you hook anything up wrong or short something out, the fuse blows and saves all of your electrical. and possibly your ride.

Edited by ugpbmx

MY TRUCK BUILD - 1976 F-100 Ranger. Fully built 482 big block, 4 DC lvl4 15's in a blowthrough, plenty of custom fabrication.

MY HATCH BUILD - 1993 Honda Civic DX Hatchback . Clean daily driver, dropped, subtle customization.

teamxa2-1.jpg

you put a fuse in line with the batt and alt. so if you hook anything up wrong or short something out, the fuse blows and save all of your electrical. and possibly your ride.

thank u for typing that for me

1) lookj to left

2) NOTICE BLKUE

3) ME > Y9OU

4) that is all

thats what i was thinking but i never saw the point since stock alts never have a fused positive wire. Not that it makes any difference but should i use a mini-anl fuse for the alts wire or a normal anl style fuse? i have the room for both types so its not a big deal for it.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

thats what i was thinking but i never saw the point since stock alts never have a fused positive wire. Not that it makes any difference but should i use a mini-anl fuse for the alts wire or a normal anl style fuse? i have the room for both types so its not a big deal for it.

normally a stock alt on stock electrical will run through some type of fused link, somewhere in the cars electrical system . i would use a normal sized anl fuse.

MY TRUCK BUILD - 1976 F-100 Ranger. Fully built 482 big block, 4 DC lvl4 15's in a blowthrough, plenty of custom fabrication.

MY HATCH BUILD - 1993 Honda Civic DX Hatchback . Clean daily driver, dropped, subtle customization.

teamxa2-1.jpg

i didnt fuse my 1/0 wire from my alt... but i did use 1/0 wire loom and ziptied everything up

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/79921-rogers-700-dream-car-update-page-17-a-wall/?p=2335774

93 Saturn SC2My system4 SA-15's Walled

2 Cerwin-Vega S2000's

3 Kinetik Hc2000's

Dual 200amp alts.

you guys done with the peepee touching contest or do I need to end it?

Hello all,

I have seen several vids of meade's designs on his engines with all the alts and i was wondering... Why would you use a fuse to protect the alternator and the batt? Wouldnt you want to get a ton of power from your alt and not blow a fuse doing it??

And plus, if anybody knows someone who builds brackets for alternators please please hit me up, im going to buy an alt for a 1998 oldsmobile 88 (my current car i drive) and i want to be able to put that same 300 amp alt into my dads 1997 chevy tahoe when i buy it. yes i know that they arent bolted in the same way which sucks but i was wondering if anybody knew some guys who can make me a custom bracket where i can strap the alt of my oldsmobile into the tahoe as a secondary alt.

Thanks in advance!!!

i relation to your alternator swapping idea i believe don't quote me here but i think iraggi alternator has a plan that can be purchased that will allow you to order one H/O alt for your 88 then when you change vehicles you can send it in for one that is made for the tahoe. like i said i think this is true pm iraggi to find out.

1995 Honda Accord Coupe

still building only thing done is big three and one run of stinger 0 gauge.

Feedback

2r2boxz.png

i didnt fuse my 1/0 wire from my alt... but i did use 1/0 wire loom and ziptied everything up

yea the fuse is there just for safety, you don't have to use one. just make sure you use the appropriate gauge wire so it doesn't melt when you start ur car lol

teamxa2-1.jpg

yea the fuse is there just for safety, you don't have to use one. just make sure you use the appropriate gauge wire so it doesn't melt when you start ur car lol

i already have a ton of 1/0 from my co-worker. i also have 1/0 for the amp and everything.