Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

does having a kerfed port help move more air?


chapo123

Recommended Posts

Posted

which is what i was thinking lol. does it help if the kerf is bigger? or does it not mater as long as its kerfed?

you dont need to go bigger than the port width really, but with a 5 inch wide port a 5" radius kerf is better than 4 and 4 better than 3.

thanks all you guys commenting about me

Posted

so basically it would move more air then a slot port tuned to the same frequency and sub and cubic feet? with same amount of port area.?

pretty much. but you need to flare both the entrance and exit of the port, and also add one radius of your kerf to the port length. so a 14 inch long regular port would now have to be a 17" long port if you put a 3" radius kerf on each end

and it also strenghs the box because of fiberglassing right?

It depends on what you glass. when i do it i just flare the kerf since it is too weak without it due to all the wood cut out

Posted
<br>LOL nice but yeah hoping someone like ed or something will chime in on this? because on my box he made the kerf huge click linky ^^ and i hope it will move air.. picking it up wednesday<br>
<br><br>Box looks good, didn't you also get 1 built for an FI18?<br><br>IMO, i think dual flare port would make a bigger diffrence...

CHECK OUT MY MYSPACE; SOME PAINT WORK I'VE DONE: http://www.myspace.c...customcreationz

DODGE RAM 1500 QUAD CAB BOX BUILD: http://www.stevemead...showtopic=48978

DODGE RAM 1500 RUMBLEBEE EDITION CUSTOM ENCLOSURE: http://www.stevemead...showtopic=48983

PREFAB REMODELING: http://www.stevemead...box-remodeling/

G35 CUSTOM PAINTED L7 BOX: http://www.stevemead...om-painted-box/

CHEVY SINGLE CAB PAINTED SUB BOX/AMP RACK: http://www.stevemead...vy-boxamp-rack/

KICKER L512 BOX BUILT TO SPECS: http://www.stevemead...-kicker-l5-box/

RF HE2 10'S KERF PORTED BOX: http://www.stevemead...erf-ported-box/

2 DC LEVEL 3 15'S KERF ENCLOSURE: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/115502-kerf-ported-enclosure/

2 HCCA 15'S PORTED ENCLOSURE: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/129468-2-hcca-15s-enclosure/

Posted

pretty much. but you need to flare both the entrance and exit of the port, and also add one radius of your kerf to the port length. so a 14 inch long regular port would now have to be a 17" long port if you put a 3" radius kerf on each end

It depends on what you glass. when i do it i just flare the kerf since it is too weak without it due to all the wood cut out

ahh the kerf for box is only kerfed at the exit.. problem??

Steve I don't know why but everytime I see your new paint I want a Dr. Pepper...... is this normal?

heres an analogy for you. running a high power stereo without a fuse is like having unprotected sex with that hot chick at the bar with the sketchy sexual history. Sure you may be fine and nothing happens but that one time something does happen you're fucked.

i dont want woofer broke like bass sound clip clip and voice coil overheat

2 sa12s, saz1500 build log http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/91183-chapo123s-sundown-build-log/page__gopid__1250604entry1250604

1j1450.png

Posted

<br><br>Box looks good, didn't you also get 1 built for an FI18?<br><br>IMO, i think dual flare port would make a bigger diffrence...

yeah but plans changed lol and yeah but money was tihgt and couldnt afford cost of fiberglass hahaha

Steve I don't know why but everytime I see your new paint I want a Dr. Pepper...... is this normal?

heres an analogy for you. running a high power stereo without a fuse is like having unprotected sex with that hot chick at the bar with the sketchy sexual history. Sure you may be fine and nothing happens but that one time something does happen you're fucked.

i dont want woofer broke like bass sound clip clip and voice coil overheat

2 sa12s, saz1500 build log http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/91183-chapo123s-sundown-build-log/page__gopid__1250604entry1250604

1j1450.png

Posted

yeah but plans changed lol and yeah but money was tihgt and couldnt afford cost of fiberglass hahaha

lol I get you...that's the problem with our hobby, money adds up quick!haha

CHECK OUT MY MYSPACE; SOME PAINT WORK I'VE DONE: http://www.myspace.c...customcreationz

DODGE RAM 1500 QUAD CAB BOX BUILD: http://www.stevemead...showtopic=48978

DODGE RAM 1500 RUMBLEBEE EDITION CUSTOM ENCLOSURE: http://www.stevemead...showtopic=48983

PREFAB REMODELING: http://www.stevemead...box-remodeling/

G35 CUSTOM PAINTED L7 BOX: http://www.stevemead...om-painted-box/

CHEVY SINGLE CAB PAINTED SUB BOX/AMP RACK: http://www.stevemead...vy-boxamp-rack/

KICKER L512 BOX BUILT TO SPECS: http://www.stevemead...-kicker-l5-box/

RF HE2 10'S KERF PORTED BOX: http://www.stevemead...erf-ported-box/

2 DC LEVEL 3 15'S KERF ENCLOSURE: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/115502-kerf-ported-enclosure/

2 HCCA 15'S PORTED ENCLOSURE: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/129468-2-hcca-15s-enclosure/

Posted

so true. i kinda wish i wouldve waited so i could have gotten both ends flared

Steve I don't know why but everytime I see your new paint I want a Dr. Pepper...... is this normal?

heres an analogy for you. running a high power stereo without a fuse is like having unprotected sex with that hot chick at the bar with the sketchy sexual history. Sure you may be fine and nothing happens but that one time something does happen you're fucked.

i dont want woofer broke like bass sound clip clip and voice coil overheat

2 sa12s, saz1500 build log http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/91183-chapo123s-sundown-build-log/page__gopid__1250604entry1250604

1j1450.png

Posted

fritosaregood honostly what do you think about the kerf on my box? should move some air?

Steve I don't know why but everytime I see your new paint I want a Dr. Pepper...... is this normal?

heres an analogy for you. running a high power stereo without a fuse is like having unprotected sex with that hot chick at the bar with the sketchy sexual history. Sure you may be fine and nothing happens but that one time something does happen you're fucked.

i dont want woofer broke like bass sound clip clip and voice coil overheat

2 sa12s, saz1500 build log http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/91183-chapo123s-sundown-build-log/page__gopid__1250604entry1250604

1j1450.png

Posted

so true. i kinda wish i wouldve waited so i could have gotten both ends flared

Either way looks like its gonna pound with that box..

Honestly, and just my opinion on this, but to me it seems like 1 flare on a slot port is like a half-flared round port...haha

CHECK OUT MY MYSPACE; SOME PAINT WORK I'VE DONE: http://www.myspace.c...customcreationz

DODGE RAM 1500 QUAD CAB BOX BUILD: http://www.stevemead...showtopic=48978

DODGE RAM 1500 RUMBLEBEE EDITION CUSTOM ENCLOSURE: http://www.stevemead...showtopic=48983

PREFAB REMODELING: http://www.stevemead...box-remodeling/

G35 CUSTOM PAINTED L7 BOX: http://www.stevemead...om-painted-box/

CHEVY SINGLE CAB PAINTED SUB BOX/AMP RACK: http://www.stevemead...vy-boxamp-rack/

KICKER L512 BOX BUILT TO SPECS: http://www.stevemead...-kicker-l5-box/

RF HE2 10'S KERF PORTED BOX: http://www.stevemead...erf-ported-box/

2 DC LEVEL 3 15'S KERF ENCLOSURE: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/115502-kerf-ported-enclosure/

2 HCCA 15'S PORTED ENCLOSURE: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/129468-2-hcca-15s-enclosure/

Posted

Either way looks like its gonna pound with that box..

Honestly, and just my opinion on this, but to me it seems like 1 flare on a slot port is like a half-flared round port...haha

sounds very true.. damn i regret not kerfing both ends :(

Steve I don't know why but everytime I see your new paint I want a Dr. Pepper...... is this normal?

heres an analogy for you. running a high power stereo without a fuse is like having unprotected sex with that hot chick at the bar with the sketchy sexual history. Sure you may be fine and nothing happens but that one time something does happen you're fucked.

i dont want woofer broke like bass sound clip clip and voice coil overheat

2 sa12s, saz1500 build log http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/91183-chapo123s-sundown-build-log/page__gopid__1250604entry1250604

1j1450.png

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 1854 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...