Charging 14v batteries

What is the lowest charging voltage that I can charge 14v batteries at? I believe I have cooked my Optima. I have an MLA and 9/10 I keep is set to high which keeps me in the low 15s all day and closer if not over 16 in the winter. I smelled this nasty ass smell all day today and just thought all of the outside was stinking like a somebitch....turns out it was my Optima yellow top. Popped my hood and could hear it hissing, was stinking some kinda bad too. Pulled that out needless to say. My Kinetics seem fine tho but if I am gonna be charging that high I think its time to look into 14v batteries.

Just wondering if low 15s is sufficient enough to keep 14v batts charged up?

TeamDeadlyHertz-PUNKYOU007.png

d(-__-)b

beer sucks...but i can bring some jose cuervo. Only problem is that it makes me horny and gives me the rams. So unless yall wanna fight and then have some great make up sex i will leave it home.

This is from Nathan at XS power about your question.

We recommend charging at 16.8v for the 14v batts. 15.9v will work, but not as efficiently as 16.5-16.8v. Also, your have to consider that the amperage of your alt and the current draw of your system will determine how long your voltage holds strong. If you have a 100A alt, and your system only draws 95A, then your alternator output voltage will hold steady at whatever voltage the regulator is set to charge at. Lets say for argument's sake that it was set at 14.4 for a 12v system. Once you exceed 100A of draw, your voltage falls to battery voltage (12.8v for a fully charged 12v battery). How far your voltage falls beyond that is determined by how many batteries you have and how much current you are pulling.

Using your example above, if your batts are fully charged (14v batts will be at 15.1v) and your alt is producing 100A at 16v, then if you only pound on it for 5-10 sec then the voltage is going to drop while you beat, and the voltage will come back up as you let off the volume. When you stop the alt will have a chance to catch up and bring the voltage back up. The VCM is not a magical tool that somehow holds your voltage steady all the time. The voltage will drop if you exceed the alts capabilities. Luckily the VCM displays exactly what is happening with your voltage so that you can see what is happening the minute your voltage drops.

Works very well to help keep people from blowing up their alt, and to know when their system is performing to it's maximum capabilities!

I know a lil about everything so dont call me Mr. Know it All.

So my measly low 15's is not good enough to charge 14v batts and is too high for my 12v batts :(

d(-__-)b

beer sucks...but i can bring some jose cuervo. Only problem is that it makes me horny and gives me the rams. So unless yall wanna fight and then have some great make up sex i will leave it home.

So my measly low 15's is not good enough to charge 14v batts and is too high for my 12v batts :(

hmmm guess im in the same boat...

but im fucked because i cant get a VCM to even help a little

NoFearX18 said:

Nick will bang just about anything.....LMAO....pun intended

On 4/13/2010 at 9:51 AM, meade916 said:

i was like DAMN, Chode is hardcore! he makes james look like a friendly person LOL!

trainman0978 said:

I dont know who is worse with the buttholes Chode or Big P...

thdsig2_zps7dd050e2.jpg

TDHsig1_zps90d6048b.jpg

Team Deadly Hertz / Team DC Audio / Team XS Power

2010 DC AUDIO MEMBER OF THE YEAR!!!

DuckretaryFEAR THE DUCK Durangho Chodes Blowthrough Build Youtube vids Muh Wife

Need DC Audio? Hit me up for pricing!!!

I would say your problem is that optimas are not meant to charge at 15+ volts. Batteries like kinetik, xspower, shuriken, etc. will take the 15 volt charge. I would just swap out the optima and call it a day.

2007 Scion Tc- T1500.1bdcp & t600.4, Three P3D212's Ported at 40hz, T2 6.5" Components, Rockford Marine 8" coax's. Kinetik khc1400 in back, Kicker 0 gauge

1999 Cherokee- Rockford Prime Amps 300.4 & 500.1,Big 3, Rockford 6.5"Comp.s and 6.5" 2ways, 2 12" P2's Ported basic winter beater

2002 Mustang Convt.-T1500.1bd & 400.4, 3 P3D210's IB, JBL components all the way around,Rockford 4 gauge, Big 3, Kinetik khc800 in back

That was the plan.. I just wasnt gonna be doing that for another two weeks.

d(-__-)b

you guys never hear of an external reg for the alt? thats the way everyone did it before the VCM.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

A constant 15+V charge on any 12v battery is not a good idea. 14.9V is the max charge rate on our batteries. When you get above that you can cause the battery to vent (pushes gasses out of the battery and gives a horrible sulfur smell) or swell.

Thats exactly what happened to my Optima. You could hear it but most of all smell that stinking mess.

d(-__-)b