Sonic Electronix

Quick Question! Need explanation, 2 mids in door sealed or ported?

Alright I know there's a bunch of people on here that can explain why or why not I should keep this speaker enclosure sealed. It's really bothering me that I don't know the difference. I don't necessarily need to play below 100Hz

The door, shared enclosure -

http://s916.photobuc...acations041.jpg

Edited by monkeyleg

Google it

if you are putting just putting component sets in there, you don't need to port it. like you said, mid and highs shouldn't be played lower than 100hz. as long as that fiberglass job is nice and solid, they should sound great.

Edited by S Dime 420

If anybody in the Sacramento area has a vehicle for sale for less than $1,500 get at me. I'm open to almost anything that runs.

if you are putting just putting component sets in there, you don't need to port it. like you said, mid and highs shouldn't be played lower than 100hz. as long as that fiberglass job is nice and solid, they should sound great.

OMG thank you, it's been bothering me for a long time, just needed some reassurance.

Google it

I would figure out the volume of that enclosure, get the t/s parameters of the mids, and model it up in a free program.

Build a graph of output and excursion vs. frequency for the sealed enclosure and use it as a baseline against several potted enclosures.

Start with a HP filter of 80 Hz and look at port tuning of 80, 85, 90, etc.

Then move to an 85 Hz HP filter and look at port tuning of 85, 90, 95, etc.

You might can pick up a nice gain in the midbass while reducing the driver excursion. Nothing wrong with reducing excursion on a driver playing midrange. . .

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

sealed is a lot easier but ya, you can port a door pod, the the exact same concept as a sub box. you obviously dont tune the thing at 30hz though.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

for some reason, when i did the pods on my geo they had no midbass at all when they was sealed up but open into the doors it would sound awesome

ied like to try a ported door pod but i dunno where to put the port

this is how bose does some of there speakers and what knot so i dont think it will hurt anything

hell my geos dash 3&1/2'' speakers have there own ported boxs lol

would be a cool project tho

here's a link to my system 99 toyota tacoma , 2 mtx 8000 1504's in a sealed downfire , 1000w memphis amp

here's a link to my other system my 90 geo prizm test car

heres a thread i got of new songs u can dl that are legal = Some Good Bangage/you Can Dl These Free And Legit

redblob.gifbouncing%20blob.gif2yooj7m.pngmodel14.gif

how big were the pods?

remember these speakers are made for IB so they need a large pod. just make some little enclosure around the speaker and it will be too much pressure for the cone to move.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

here go a vid of doors ported, imo i dunno if it would sound good or not, i think ib would be better than ported or sealed but thats just me

here's a link to my system 99 toyota tacoma , 2 mtx 8000 1504's in a sealed downfire , 1000w memphis amp

here's a link to my other system my 90 geo prizm test car

heres a thread i got of new songs u can dl that are legal = Some Good Bangage/you Can Dl These Free And Legit

redblob.gifbouncing%20blob.gif2yooj7m.pngmodel14.gif

^ no... thats a sub on a door. that is not a mid.

not to be a dick but, if you "dont know" and havnt tested either way, why give an opinion?

Thanks guys, loving the input. I'm using Polk MM 6501's. 2 in each door. They will share the enclosure, I just made it big enough to house them. I don't want to port it. I was just wondering what the sound difference will be instead of the infinite baffle (Using all the airspace in the door) My door frames leak and obviously they aren't air tight. If they sound like crap then I will just cut out the back of the pods. Just wondering if anybody has some input first hand?

Edited by monkeyleg

Google it