What Rules Would You Change If You Could?

If you could add/subtract/modify any competition rules what would they be? Also please explain why. It doesn't matter the organization. Just pretend you're creating your own format for competing.

Do you prefer subwoofer classes or power classes?

How should subwoofer classes be broken down?

For power classes should they go by maufacturer's rated wattage, amperage ratings, or actual installed fuse ratings?

How do you define the difference between a beginner class and an amateur class?

How do you keep "Pros" from disguising themselves as beginners?

teamnemesissundown-1.jpg

i hate the 4ohm rating rule

it should be whatever and how much power you are running

I too have my disagreements with it. However its near impossible to classify people by how much actual power they are running since some run @ 4ohm and some competitiors run down to 0.125ohm, then some people run basic 12v systems when others run 16-18v setups.

IMO I've always preferred subwoofer classes. The only problem here is that your average "street" competitor doesn't run high power subs such as MTs or BTLs with thousands of watts of power. This puts them at an extreme disadvantage to a purpose built spl car. DbDrag is a perfect example here. There isn't any way your average Joe off the street can compete in one of DbDrag's "Street" classes.

NSPL has some new rules for their beginner classes where they're are classified by subwoofers and limited by number of amplifiers and amperage ratings of those amplifiers. This makes it a little more even for you average Joe exccept that NSPL uses manufacturer's ratings and not actual fuse ratings so there are still under-rated amps beings used giving some an advantage over the rest.

This is why I like BassRace the best. It doesn't matter how many or how big your subs are, how many or how powerful your amps are, what kind of vehicle you have, or what kind of electrical system your using and it simply doesn't matter how much money you have or have spent. You choose what class you want to run in depending on how loud you want to play your system and anyone can win.

teamnemesissundown-1.jpg

If you could add/subtract/modify any competition rules what would they be? Also please explain why. It doesn't matter the organization. Just pretend you're creating your own format for competing.

Do you prefer subwoofer classes or power classes?

How should subwoofer classes be broken down?

For power classes should they go by maufacturer's rated wattage, amperage ratings, or actual installed fuse ratings?

How do you define the difference between a beginner class and an amateur class?

How do you keep "Pros" from disguising themselves as beginners?

To give my opinion on some of these, I would like to see competitions setup more for your average Joe street competitor. I'd like to see stricter rules in beginner/street classes keeping the pros and their spl fart boxes out. IMO they should use sub and fuse amperage limitations as well as a lower cap on the frequencies being used. I know I don't play my daily setup at 60-70hz so why should I have to compete with someones trailered-in fart box that does.

What would DbDrag's Street classes be like if they were limited to a max fuse rating of 150a-300a (depending on class) with a 40hz cap on the peak frequency? Would it become more competitive or would it drive people away?

How do you define a beginner/street car? Well I'm not sure how to define that exactly but I know what shouldn't be there. IMO if you have a wall of subs, over 4Kwatts, a modified vehicle (lexan windows, external clamps/bolts build outs, bracing, etc.), multiple alternators, 3+ runs of 0awg wire, multiple extra batteries, or a 15+v charging system then you're not a beginner.

teamnemesissundown-1.jpg

To give my opinion on some of these, I would like to see competitions setup more for your average Joe street competitor. I'd like to see stricter rules in beginner/street classes keeping the pros and their spl fart boxes out. IMO they should use sub and fuse amperage limitations as well as a lower cap on the frequencies being used. I know I don't play my daily setup at 60-70hz so why should I have to compete with someones trailered-in fart box that does.

What would DbDrag's Street classes be like if they were limited to a max fuse rating of 150a-300a (depending on class) with a 40hz cap on the peak frequency? Would it become more competitive or would it drive people away?

How do you define a beginner/street car? Well I'm not sure how to define that exactly but I know what shouldn't be there. IMO if you have a wall of subs, over 4Kwatts, a modified vehicle (lexan windows, external clamps/bolts build outs, bracing, etc.), multiple alternators, 3+ runs of 0awg wire, multiple extra batteries, or a 15+v charging system then you're not a beginner.

Fuse ratings is the dumbest thing ever! People can modify fuses or wire around fuses which involves more inspection by judges. Usually fuses blow when twice the amperage actually goes through them. I believe Meca does these.

Meca Drive By is cool - but they've taken something sooo simple and made it difficult. Having moving vehicles as part of your competition seems dangerous to me. Also, they have an extensive set of rules for something as simple as booming your system with your window down. This format ( rules ) and other organizations rules/classes should be less about the rules/organzation and more about what matters ... the music.

dB Drag Racing format is very fun. Everyone enjoys the head to head match up. But, everyone involved will agree, its the more expensive formats. " You got to pay if you want to play ", is the resounding comment. Downside is vehicles are shut up during competition and there is nothing to hear.

We need local classes that doesn't involve a "World Finals" When people think they have a shot for a World Title, this brings out the "bad" competition side of them. This is when you see people competing against locals.

Bass Race is ok, except - You must play music ( then require an 80 frequency limit ) this is stupid

- There is not an RPM limit ( a competitor can red line their engine ) this is dangerous

- There is not any installation rules ( Competitors can build their enclosure all the way up to the mic ) this is crazy

- Random bracketing ( the best person doesn't always win ) imagine having the second loudest vehicle of the entire show and getting 5th place in your bracket.

- offering a 119.9 class and a 160+ class( then not offering it at World Finals ) crazy eh?

Usaci Outlaw SPL is cool ( minus the power ratings ). The power ratings seem to work ok for Usaci ( for now ). Being able to put the mic anywhere you want, opening your doors so the crowd can hear is awesome! Down side is noise ordance laws. Usaci offers classes for anyone. Port wars is a perfect example. Suck at one format ... try another. If thats not the one for you, then try this one. Usaci classes cater to all types of competitors and systems.

4ohm ratings suck aka cheater amps. Max rating sucks cause of amps that play .25 ohms. Using a clamp meter on speaker wires and having a true wattage class would be the easiest. Example( smaller classes ): Clamp a volt meter(s) around all the speaker leads going to the enclosure. When system competes, voltage/amperage is checked. Math is done. If your in a different wattage class, you move up. VERY SIMPLE and also VERY FAIR for those of you who like wattage classes.

Cone area classes are good. Easy to judge.

Usaci Street Beat is cool. It does use the average spl format, it uses cone area classes ( sorta ) and it measures how LOUD you are! Isn't this why we buy and build these systems to get loud?

Average SPL classes - Ok for a side format, but not an actual format. Imagine saying your the 139.9dB Champion telling a newb. This newb does a 145dB ( Outlaw or dash ). Now this newb thinks he's louder than a World Champion. Ok, so now you have to explain yourself why your the champion in your class. When your done explaining, the newb is still louder.

Average SPL classes can be fun as a side event. This puts alot more strain on the system. This sees who actually can PLAY their system.

Peak SPL = Drag Racer ( maximum performance )

Average SPL = Cross country runner ( endurance )

Sound Quality is where everything started out at. Before SPL EVERYONE competed in Sound Quality. Then the SPL score was introduced for Sound Quality. Then a SPL format was created. Then the industry died. Car Audio became exciting, but not cool.

100,000 watt systems, 15K lbs vehicles, 170+ decibles .. all this is exciting, but not "cool" The average John Q customer can not related to these systems. This type of system in his vehicle does no purpose THUS he has no reason to buy a sound system.

Sorry but ... SPL competitions has killed our industry

<<<<< BUT >>>>>

Most important thing of all is, car audio competitions must benifit the dealer / industry. The purpose of these contests is to bring attention to the person holding the event and to sell product to future enthusists. The "icing on the cake" if you will is the organiztion holding World Finals for those that participate in these events.

Currently, the organizations are doing nothing for the dealer. There is no incentive for them to host a sactioned event over a nonsanction event. This needs to change if we want to see this industry service.

What got people ( YOU ) into car audio anyways? What got you first excited? We ( as an industry ) need to focus more on what matters and what got us into this sport. For most of us, it is our compasion for music, cars and electronics.

Sincerely,

Car Audio Enthusist

Edited by dBSteve

See you in the lanes,

dBSteve

www.midwestspl.com

2.jpg

Very well said Steve! My Man!

EDIT: Cause I got moved up tot he 4001 Unlimited class yesterday cause my mids and high amp.........but I still took first!

Edited by roscoe1129

Some people need a sympathetic pat... on the head...with my hammer

Scientia est Vox

"In Nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti"clover.gif

DONT BE AFRAID TO USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!!!

SMD SUPER BUYER/SELLER

Roscoe.jpg

Fuse ratings is the dumbest thing ever! People can modify fuses or wire around fuses which involves more inspection by judges. Usually fuses blow when twice the amperage actually goes through them. I believe Meca does these.

Meca Drive By is cool - but they've taken something sooo simple and made it difficult. Having moving vehicles as part of your competition seems dangerous to me. Also, they have an extensive set of rules for something as simple as booming your system with your window down. This format ( rules ) and other organizations rules/classes should be less about the rules/organzation and more about what matters ... the music.

Just to put my 2 cents in about driveby.

It used to be simple, in fact it was a little TOO simple.

It used to be peak hold, which completely defeated the purpose since cars would pull up, burp part of a song, and be done. Switching to the average rating definitely upped the spectator interest factor.

In all honesty, the rules aren't that complicated. They may look like it on paper, but hit up a show and you'll see where I'm coming from. You line up 5 feet away from the mic, start the music, roll forward, and sit in front of the mic. Not too complicated. :) It's not too dangerous unless you get some asshat not knowing what they are doing or trying to show off or something. But "driveby" would signify moving vehicles, not just sitting in front of the mic right from the beginning.

I heard you did something similar to driveby at one of your shows, but the cars just sat there. More safe, and probably just as fun. :)

The big thing that throws people off about MECA is the fuse system. Now, it can be your best friend or your worst enemy. If you are a serious MECA competitor, it is fairly easy to run on fuses. Most newcomers have a hard time grasping the concept though. I think that MECA does have some of the fairest rules as long as you KNOW the rules. No car has the advantage like in db drag (crx's in street, walls in streetmax, astros in superstreet, etc.). And MECA now meters at the HEADREST, which kills all the 70 hz fart machines that sound like crap on music. Quite a few people that used to play 50-60 hz now had to rebuild to sub-50 hz setups and now sound killer on music. :)

Now that I'm done talking about MECA, I will say that I feel that bassrace is the future of competition. ANYONE, and I mean ANYONE, can win bassrace. Whether it's a $500 best buy setup or a $5000 big install, anyone can win. That's what I love about it. I just started actually competing in bassrace this year, and it's intense. Watching a bunch of crx's fart 70 hz isn't interesting at all, and thats what db drag has become.

Bassrace is exciting to watch and exciting to compete in. This is what competition needs to be. Now making bassrace "outlaw" style would make it awesome for spectators.

USACi's streetbeat is similar to that, the only problem is that they only have cone area limitations, and now it is becoming VERY expensive to even become competitive in SB1. I'm talking about $1000 in woofers, $2000 in amps, tons and tons of batteries, and so forth. Basically turning it into a db drag-esque competition format.

Whew, lot said there. Hopefully everyone sees where i'm coming from. :)

Edited by tommyk90

Team B2, Team Audiotechnix, Team Kicker, Team XS Power, Team Sundown, Team Maxxsonics, Team DD2008 Bassrace 130-139.9 Regional and National Champion2006, 2007, 2009, 2010 and 2012 MECA Champion (S1, SR1, S2, S3, S4, DB1) -1 DD 9510F + 2 Sundown SAZ2500's @ .7 ohm strapped=154.2 headrest, 129.2 driveby-2 DD 9510F's + 2 Sundown SAZ2500's @ 1 ohm strapped=154.0 headrest-1 DD 9512F + 2 Sundown SAZ2500's @ 1 ohm strapped=153.5 headrest, 131.1 Driveby

-2 DD 9512F + 2 B2 Zero1's @ .5 strapped= 157.0 headrest, 158.0 outlaw-1 Sundown SA-8 + 2 MB Quart 2000's=148.8 headrest, 150.6 outlaw