Second Skin Audio

Why dont I see a lot of port forward setups?

orly3.gif

I'm really happy to read this !yahoo.gif

My next box should have sub up and 2 4" ports (17" long psp round and flared on both ends) to the side. It's all I can do because I could not find elbows for the ports.

I was wondering if it can be a good solution. And you tell me : YES it is !

What side do you think is the "best" for the ports ? passenger side or driver side ?

Is it better to put the sub the farthest from the port, or in the middle of the box ?

Sorry OP for the threadjack !

its ok I was wondering that too

Is there a reason for this? In the setup Im doing thats all I have room for and it makes me skeptical

the reason you dont see alot of setups with the port forward is because of the way a ported enclosure works. the (for lack of a better term) port wave tends to be 90 degrees out of phase from the (for lack of a better term) sub wave. placing the port in a manner where it is "delayed" helps the "sub wave" and "port wave" be more in phase in the listening environment, therefore giving much more efficiency. "advancing" the port wave ahead of the "sub wave", by aiming the port forward, only makes the phasing problem worse.

Edited by Hugh G. Rection

Owner of BigAss Ports

VTLOGOnotext.jpg.667f65a91c14a3f8b00ad9ab5ecdb92f.jpg