16v good or bad

I'm thinking of adding another alt just for my system for my rebuild and was wondering what would be better/safer for the amp a 12 H.O. or a 16 H.O.

Do you understand what it means to run a 16 volt system? It doesn't just mean grab a 16 volt alternator. It means that you need to have a completely different charging system for your amps only. You would need a 16 volt alternator with 16 volt batteries, and these need to be isolated from the rest of the car's electrical system unless you convert EVERYTHING to 16 volts and then use a step down module for your car's electrical.

So unless you plan on picking up a couple 16 volt batteries, a bunch of 1/0 wire to run everything contained within itself, and a 16 volt alternator, get a regular 12 volt alternator that will put out the amperage you want.

I'm thinking of adding another alt just for my system for my rebuild and was wondering what would be better/safer for the amp a 12 H.O. or a 16 H.O.

Safest is to stick with 12v, cheapest too. 16v is pretty much best for high high high output audio.

i resolve to be a nicer moderator.

Tercel build R.I.P.

Eclipse build Old New

V-Dub

My feedback.

All depends on if your amp can handle the 16v daily. The 16v will obviously put out more power from the amp, and thats always a plus. While running both in your car, you will have to be careful to isolate them both. With the 16v you would also need 1 or more 16v batts. Just things to consider. Mind telling us what setup you're planning on/ running now?

1985 Chevy Silverado Black and Silver SBC 350/700r4

I know that I would need to do a 16v batt too. And right now I'm in the process of getting a new amp since I fired my directed D2400 last week from it being wired at .7 at both channels. So the amp problem is no deal since I can get a amp that can take the 16v. Its going to run 2 mmats juggernaut 15"s

00 yukon

rebuilding

2 mmats juggernaut 15

?amps

kenwood mp480u

and remember, 14v system charges at 16v. 16v system charges at 18v. if you do go with a higher voltage setup, the dual alt plan your going for is the way to do it. but as the others said, make sure the higher volt alt doesnt charge anything but the system. no grounds to any chassis.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

what do you think will happen if you ground a 12v battery and a 16v battery to the same thing? the current doesnt just disappear, it completes a circuit. it would be the same thing and taking a wire from one battery and connecting it to the other.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

I don't think you understand the concept of running two completely isolated electrical systems. The chassis and frame of your car are electrically charged at 12 volts because the negative post of your battery is connected to it. If you were to try to connect the 16 volt alternator to the chassis, it would be charging at 16 volts instead of 12 and you would fry the components for your car.

By an isolated 16 volt system it means you need to run your 16 volt alternator's power and ground to the 16 volt batteries ONLY and run your amps off those 16 volt batteries ONLY. Can't ground alternator to car, can't ground amp to car. Everything needs to be separated from the existing 12 volt charging system.

Archived