Sonic Electronix

how about just use the wire the freaking amp uses and stop worrying about it? 4 gauge can handle up to about 140-150 amps which is about 1500rms. 0 gauge can handle up to about 300-350 amps which is about 3500rms. no way can 4 gauge handle 2000w. thats "max" which isnt even useful as a number since its made up.

Edited by Kranny

i am glad you said that Kranny that 4 gauge is good to about 1500wrms because one of the best amp companies out there has a 1500-1bdcp and guess what inputs it has. not trying to be an ahole just thought it was a interesting topic to bring up.i am not worried about it i will do what most people do and just cut down my 0gauge wire or just use 4 gauge. just dont understand why everyone talks about running 0gauge wire all the way back just to put a piece of 4 gauge on the end of it. just thought in a game of overkill that we call car audio how hard would it be to throw a set of 0gauge inputs because we all know that you will have better voltage which would be better for their expensive amps

07 Corolla S

2-p3 15's in a custom fiberglass box powered by a p1001bd, Fosgate punch series components that hit 140.1 on Term Lab

07 Magnum R/T

1-??? sub powered by RF 2500-1bd, Big 3, 2-shuriken bt-120 batteries.

99 Ford F-150 Reg Cab

2-10in Powerbass ps subs in a MTX Thunderform box Powered by ASA1000.1. Hit 132.4 on Term Lab

I run 1/0 from my stinger batts to my distro block & 2 2ft. Runs of 4ga. to the amps, same with my grounds. Overkill? Maybe, but I feel better about it running full tilt for extended periods of time.

Current System:

Pioneer 6900 HU

Front Stage: (for now)

Soundstream tarantula 5.25 in the doors

Soundstream tarantula 4x6 in the dash

Kenwood 400.4 for mids & highs

Bass:

4 Soundstream RW-12's

2 Power Acoustik Stax 4000/1D's

single chamber box, 2.65 cubes.

Currently under the knife being bagged

Rebuilding err'thang

Oh & I don't think id say RF is one of the best amp companies out there. RF amps are power hungry & efficiency isn't real high. About 60-70%?

Current System:

Pioneer 6900 HU

Front Stage: (for now)

Soundstream tarantula 5.25 in the doors

Soundstream tarantula 4x6 in the dash

Kenwood 400.4 for mids & highs

Bass:

4 Soundstream RW-12's

2 Power Acoustik Stax 4000/1D's

single chamber box, 2.65 cubes.

Currently under the knife being bagged

Rebuilding err'thang

how about just use the wire the freaking amp uses and stop worrying about it? 4 gauge can handle up to about 140-150 amps which is about 1500rms. 0 gauge can handle up to about 300-350 amps which is about 3500rms. no way can 4 gauge handle 2000w. thats "max" which isnt even useful as a number since its made up.

Have you ever heard of voltage drop?

At higher volumes there would be over .5 volts drop on a run of 4 gauge at 15 feet.

I dunno about you but I would run 0 gauge and then run a reducer so i would only then have .2 volts drop.

DAT 4125------>RE XXX comps active

Eclipse cd7000

I serve drunks for a living :D

Have you ever heard of voltage drop?

At higher volumes there would be over .5 volts drop on a run of 4 gauge at 15 feet.

I dunno about you but I would run 0 gauge and then run a reducer so i would only then have .2 volts drop.

I'm with you on this one, but you also have to take into account wire diameter and length to. we carry three different kits from three diff companies, all three have different ideas of what 4g actually is. I always followed the wire chart out of the USACi Rulebook. it hasn't failed me yet....

Edited by caraudiofreq

2005 USACi National SQ Points Champion

2008 Top 12 Installer, Mobile Electronics magazine

2009 Top 12 Installer, Mobile Electronics magazine

2010 Top 12 Installer, Mobile Electronics magazine

2012 Top 100 Installer, Mobile Electronics magazine

i am glad you said that Kranny that 4 gauge is good to about 1500wrms because one of the best amp companies out there has a 1500-1bdcp and guess what inputs it has. not trying to be an ahole just thought it was a interesting topic to bring up.i am not worried about it i will do what most people do and just cut down my 0gauge wire or just use 4 gauge. just dont understand why everyone talks about running 0gauge wire all the way back just to put a piece of 4 gauge on the end of it. just thought in a game of overkill that we call car audio how hard would it be to throw a set of 0gauge inputs because we all know that you will have better voltage which would be better for their expensive amps

its not just the size of the wire, its how long it is. a couple feet of 4awg can take 2000w but a full 15ft run wont. do yourself a favor and go to bcae1.com click on "wire" on the right. i think its number 17. itll tell you everything you need to know.

but in the game of overkill, as you put it, a lot of companies do use 1/0 inputs. others use 4awg. probably because they know these are not amps for competition. they will get music and as we all know, music is dynamic. 90% of the time the amp wont be pulling its max current so 1/0 is especially not needed.

but another plus side to bigger wire is; its made of copper. copper stores electricity. having more copper acts like a little capacitor. just a little more burst energy to help run the system.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

Most people won't put 1/0 to a 1000 watt amp so having a big ass input that 4 gauge could come out of if not set up correctly is why they use 4 gauge inputs safty is the key

I has a 1200 watt amp and 4 channel with one run of 1/0 to a distro block then to 4 gauge and it ran great

Have you ever had your woofers blown?

its not just the size of the wire, its how long it is. a couple feet of 4awg can take 2000w but a full 15ft run wont. do yourself a favor and go to bcae1.com click on "wire" on the right. i think its number 17. itll tell you everything you need to know.

but in the game of overkill, as you put it, a lot of companies do use 1/0 inputs. others use 4awg. probably because they know these are not amps for competition. they will get music and as we all know, music is dynamic. 90% of the time the amp wont be pulling its max current so 1/0 is especially not needed.

but another plus side to bigger wire is; its made of copper. copper stores electricity. having more copper acts like a little capacitor. just a little more burst energy to help run the system.

x2 on bcae. between them and diyma virtually every topic and question is covered.

DAT 4125------>RE XXX comps active

Eclipse cd7000

I serve drunks for a living :D