Second Skin Audio

did i just fry my magnet?

rasic

so i got my new amp in the mail today, and i hooked it up, 2000 at 2 ohms. i put the icon up to it and its doing okay, i was like hell ill turn it up see what happens. so i notice its not playing as loud , then it starts to smell like the voice coils are frying, i see smoke coming from the box and im like GREAT! so i get home ttest everything, still sounds good the vc arent unravled. but the magnet was very very very hot, and still wont play as loud. could the magnet be shot?

system:

changes way to much...

How can a hot magnet be shot? I think your ears are just playing games, you need to set your gains with a DMM so this doesn't happen, if you're seeing smoke then you're clipping like crazy.

Grand Cherokee

Team Backwoods Bumpers

DC 15" Level 3's /w 4 Coils

Pioneer deh4200ub

Pioneer 3-ways

Pioneer Tweeters

Pioneer GM-D9500F

Audiopipe 1500.1D @ 14.4v

Clarion Equalizer

Knuconeptz Kollosus 0ga

Knuconpetz Kollosus 4ga

Coming Soon: 270xp / xs1200

if you saw smoke the coil is done.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

take the sub out and look at the coil. post pics.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

even if it still works?

listen. the coil is a LONG piece of wire wrapped in spirals with each turn butted up against each other. you burn the lacquer off of part of it, and those turns short against each other.

If you took a multimeter to it when you first got it, do it again now. you'll notice lower resistance.

Archived