Second Skin Audio

Glass, Carpet, Paint (Whats the difference?)

This is something I've been wanting know has I have seen quite a few builds. Besides cosmetics whats the difference?

Does it make a difference with glassing or painting compared to carpeting or padded vinyl ? Is it just a personal preference?

Does it improve the woofer output at all?

I guess if I go by Techforce's analogy of "if you fart in a plastic chair vs a cloth one; the plastic one causes more noise"

That actually makes a lot of sense, so is that the case of a glassed or painted box?

And also what purpose is it to invert subs? Besides it looking cool to have every other one inverted.

Thanks

no difference can be heard or seen on the TL by the covering

inverting subs just looks cool. it lowers the tuning because your box volume is a little bit larger now though

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

i think its just wut you want it to look like. about the inverted subs i know some people do it cuz they dont have the net volume thats recommended for the subs if there normal. so they invert them so they have more net volume and be around the recommended net volume for the subs. lol that last sentence sounds fucked up but o well

2015 silverado crew cab

nothing atm but soon...

Ed Lester was telling me something about how if you flush mount a sub it actually helps performance. In short he said it makes it easier for air molecules to move. That and how awesome it looks is why i am going to flush everything from now on.

i resolve to be a nicer moderator.

Tercel build R.I.P.

Eclipse build Old New

V-Dub

My feedback.

Ed Lester was telling me something about how if you flush mount a sub it actually helps performance. In short he said it makes it easier for air molecules to move. That and how awesome it looks is why i am going to flush everything from now on.

Well I hope you flush!!!

And keep in mind guys I'm a girl not a sub nerd use layman terms please!!

This is something I've been wanting know has I have seen quite a few builds. Besides cosmetics whats the difference?

Does it make a difference with glassing or painting compared to carpeting or padded vinyl ? Is it just a personal preference?

Does it improve the woofer output at all?

I guess if I go by Techforce's analogy of "if you fart in a plastic chair vs a cloth one; the plastic one causes more noise"

That actually makes a lot of sense, so is that the case of a glassed or painted box?

And also what purpose is it to invert subs? Besides it looking cool to have every other one inverted.

Thanks

The finish, and relative smoothness of a woofer enclosure and vehicle's interior for that matter does show a difference in SPL score in the higher levels and vehicles with tight tolerances.

For example, if you have a tahoe and a system doing 140 db with a carpeted box, and you choose to remove the carpet and make the box shiny smooth, you will see no change in SPL. You may hear a slight difference in SQ though if your ears are sensitive.

But

If you have a SS type car with a wall doing mid to high 160s, or a CRX in Street doing mid to high 150s, and your box is slick, then you choose to carpet it, you can lose about 1dB.

ANd

If you have an extreme car in the high 170s to 180dB and cover the slick surfaces with carpet, you may lose over 1dB.

As far as inverting subs, its mostly cosmetic but if the box is adjusted right and baffle is built to have intverted subs, there will be no difference in SPL from the same setup being mounted regular.

And what Eclipse Chris was mentioning is a flush mounted sub, to keep the reflected wave from building up behind the plane where the top of the surround sits. That cause minute phase issues basically. But this only shows differences in SPL in the 150s and up range.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

Thanks Ed for the explanation, so with my truck it wouldnt make a difference if I were to take the carpet off and paint it pink and white camo lol

But that will be my next build for when I win that Pink Ladies contest and win those 12" pink and white subs and pink amps!!!

Thanks Ed for the explanation, so with my truck it wouldnt make a difference if I were to take the carpet off and paint it pink and white camo lol

But that will be my next build for when I win that Pink Ladies contest and win those 12" pink and white subs and pink amps!!!

Paint it anyway, it will look cool. And you can do a custom paint to match on amp heatsinks.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

My old Build Log

5 time dB Drag Finalist

Hey Ed, you ever gonna reply to my texts? I have sent great news!

Sorry my phone service is shut off till tomorrow. You can PM me.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

My old Build Log

5 time dB Drag Finalist