XS Power

Slight issue with running at 16v

Hey so I just got my d1400's in yesterday and I got the batteries installed and everything, but I'm having a slight issue where my abs and e-brake lights would come on every once in a while and stay for a little bit then go away and then after a little bit come back on. I can also feel like the car wants to accelerate just a little bit. I'm not sure if the VCM is causing it from running at 16 volts, but I was under the impression that 16v was OK for most new cars. I have a 2004 Chevy Trailblazer by the way. Is it because of the VCM? Will I need to get a stepdown module? I don't wanna have the brakes fail on me when I'm on the highway or something.

2004 Chevy Trailblazer:

Deck: Pioneer Premier DEH-P980BT

Mids: 4 Selenium 6W4P's

Highs: 2 AQ Tweeter's + 2 Crescendo Tweeters + 2 Power Acoustik NX-5 Bullet Tweeters

Highs Amp: MB Quart Onyx 4.125

Bass: 2 18" DC Audio XL's <-- Soon to be 8 Sundown SA-12's

Box: 13.37 Cu Ft @ 35 Hz with 3 8" sonotubes

Bass amps: Crescendo BC3500 @ .5 ohms (2nd one coming soon)

325a Singer Alt! 375a at 16+ volts!

2 XS Power D1400's

www.youtube.com/user/phukudmss

Hey so I just got my d1400's in yesterday and I got the batteries installed and everything, but I'm having a slight issue where my abs and e-brake lights would come on every once in a while and stay for a little bit then go away and then after a little bit come back on. I can also feel like the car wants to accelerate just a little bit. I'm not sure if the VCM is causing it from running at 16 volts, but I was under the impression that 16v was OK for most new cars. I have a 2004 Chevy Trailblazer by the way. Is it because of the VCM? Will I need to get a stepdown module? I don't wanna have the brakes fail on me when I'm on the highway or something.

What voltage are you charging at?

RealPower800x135_zps58408f90.jpg

What voltage are you charging at?

I am charging at around 16.5-6 volts. It mainly happens whenever it goes over 16.6 but once in a while it does at lower volts.

Edited by shazaam

2004 Chevy Trailblazer:

Highs: 2 AQ Tweeter's + 2 Crescendo Tweeters + 2 Power Acoustik NX-5 Bullet Tweeters

2 XS Power D1400's

That is strange, because we have a few other guys running them with no problems. A step down could always be used for that system. You would just need to locate where that part of the 12V system comes in and hook the step down up.

It would be interesting to see what the voltage is reading at your brake sensors.

RealPower800x135_zps58408f90.jpg

That is strange, because we have a few other guys running them with no problems. A step down could always be used for that system. You would just need to locate where that part of the 12V system comes in and hook the step down up.

It would be interesting to see what the voltage is reading at your brake sensors.

Yeah it is strange. My brakes aren't really that affected from what I can feel. What really scares me is on some cold mornings it goes up to 17+ volts to almost 18 and my dash lights turn off. I just turn it down really quick and turn it back to 16.5 after it warms up though. The dash lights cut off around 17.1 or 2. Is there something I could do to prevent it from going up that high on cold starts?

I can try and check tomorrow when I have some time before work.

2004 Chevy Trailblazer:

2 XS Power D1400's

I dont know the details of your system but if you have multiple alternators I would suggest letting your stock location alt run your front battery at 14v and then dedicating your other alt/alts to powering your 16v setup, just to avoid any problems with the cars electronics not liking 16v+. If you dont have a multiple alt setup ignore everything i just said and I hope you figure out your problem.

Unplug the VCM itslef from the harnes in the car before you turn it on after its warmed up plug it back in...

Haha wow I didn't think of that!

I dont know the details of your system but if you have multiple alternators I would suggest letting your stock location alt run your front battery at 14v and then dedicating your other alt/alts to powering your 16v setup, just to avoid any problems with the cars electronics not liking 16v+. If you dont have a multiple alt setup ignore everything i just said and I hope you figure out your problem.

I don't have multiple alternators just one 250 amp alt. Hopefully in the future I will but for my car its hard for more than one. The car actually runs fine its just that when the voltage goes higher than 16.6~ the abs and ebrake lights come on the dash but they turn off after a little while when the voltage goes down to about 16.5 and below. My car actually runs better at 16 volts. Interior lights are brighter, horn is louder, windows roll up and down faster, car cranks and starts up MUCH faster... I love it lol. But thanks man.

2004 Chevy Trailblazer:

2 XS Power D1400's

I would definitely look into adding a 2nd alt. I have 2 270 amp alts on my 06 f150 and my voltage drop is actually less with just the dual alt charging my back batteries. It has something to do with the CPU in the car wanting to try and control the voltage that the alternator is charging at. It was explained to me that this is why my voltage at idle would just go anywhere from 13.6-14.6. Now with the alts charging separately everything seems to be running smoother. If you go this route you can also run your 4 channel amps off the front battery that way the only amp your back batteries are running is your sub amp.

Yeah that's actually exactly what I wanted to do, 2 270 amp alts from DC Power or possibly something from Mechman. Anyway yeah man that is on my list of things to do. Unfortunately for us 4.2L I6 Trailblazers we have to do a lot more just to get enough space for a second alt. Only one I know of who has two is Boilermaker (Sp?) with the 4 lvl 5 18's. I will def consider what you said though. One thing though, did you ground the back batteries separately or are they grounded to the chassis or where ever along with the front battery, since they are being charged by a separate alt?

2004 Chevy Trailblazer:

2 XS Power D1400's