Second Skin Audio

Need help with my 15" L5 / zx750.1

Well first, I'd like to say hello, I just joined this forum. I just started with car audio a few years ago

Here's my current setup in my 1997 Pontiac GTP

• Kenwood KDC-MP345U Headunit
  • Kicker L5 15" in Ported Box ( Box not much bigger than Sub)
  • Kicker zx750.1 Amp
  • 2 GA Power, running off stock power sources
  • "Big Three" done under hood

Here are the problems: The sub doesn't seem to be hitting as hard as it should. I have bass-boost on amp all the way down, gain on 8/11, and headunit bass flat. It doesn't hit fairly low notes, e.x. it sounds to be struggling to hit the notes in "Burn Rubber" by Too Short, and doesn't hit fairly high notes for this kind of sub, e.x. it half ass's the higher notes in "Top Back" by T.I. (not trying to tune my subs to songs, just trying to give easy examples)

Here's what i think it is personally, the frequency nob moves, but doesn't seem to change anything sound-wise. Is this because there is a problem with the amp, or is it my headunit with the "Pass Thru option selected"?

Also, my ground wire is a very cheap quality ebay 0 GA clipped to 2 GA. The wire strands seem thinner than the one's from my speaker wire.

To add to note, The sub doesn't really flex at all tbh, although it hits, it does flex. When I had my older oldschool bd1000.1 amp, it flexed/hit hard, but amp overheated.

Any tip, suggestions, or solutions? Thanks in advance. Great forum to be part of.

Edited by MurphyGTP

Memphis PR 12's

Kicker zx750.1

Memphis PR 6x9's

Pioneer 5.25's

Planet Audio 3004

Kenwood KDC345

Well first, I'd like to say hello, I just joined this forum. I just started with car audio a few years ago

Here's my current setup in my 1997 Pontiac GTP

• Kenwood KDC-MP345U Headunit
  • Kicker L5 15" in Ported Box ( Box not much bigger than Sub)
  • Kicker zx750.1 Amp
  • 2 GA Power, running off stock power sources
  • "Big Three" done under hood

Here are the problems: The sub doesn't seem to be hitting as hard as it should. I have bass-boost on amp all the way down, gain on 8/11, and headunit bass flat. It doesn't hit fairly low notes, e.x. it sounds to be struggling to hit the notes in "Burn Rubber" by Too Short, and doesn't hit fairly high notes for this kind of sub, e.x. it half ass's the higher notes in "Top Back" by T.I. (not trying to tune my subs to songs, just trying to give easy examples)

how olds the sub , you might have a bad coil , or the box is not tuned right. or like you said could be the ground wire your talking about. elimanate every thing you think it could be and see what you have then

Here's what i think it is personally, the frequency nob moves, but doesn't seem to change anything sound-wise. Is this because there is a problem with the amp, or is it my headunit with the "Pass Thru option selected"?

Also, my ground wire is a very cheap quality ebay 0 GA clipped to 2 GA. The wire strands seem thinner than the one's from my speaker wire.

To add to note, The sub doesn't really flex at all tbh, although it hits, it does flex. When I had my older oldschool bd1000.1 amp, it flexed/hit hard, but amp overheated.

Any tip, suggestions, or solutions? Thanks in advance. Great forum to be part of.

try elimanating all things thats not done right like the ground wire an see if that helps Edited by big dee

Thanks for the quick response's guys.

My box looks like this: 21wneNG1NXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

And it sits up against the back of my seats, facing the rear. Any more suggestions, maybe on the amp frequency issue, that i can try after I get a new ground wire tomorrow?

Memphis PR 12's

Kicker zx750.1

Memphis PR 6x9's

Pioneer 5.25's

Planet Audio 3004

Kenwood KDC345

Hey can I get the demisions of your box I just bought the same set up zx750 and l5 15" if that's no problem for you I'd thank you alot

I bought it off a buddy of mine, he ordered it online. It's similar to this, but not the same as in the port tunnel inside the box: Dimensions (W x H x D): 22.5" x 17" x 16.25"

I honestly don't have enough spare time/tools to build a box, but is there any good ones out there that could fit in my trunk (grand prix) that i could maybe order online?

Memphis PR 12's

Kicker zx750.1

Memphis PR 6x9's

Pioneer 5.25's

Planet Audio 3004

Kenwood KDC345

prob some where you could get a better one . i always build my owne boxes try audiosavings.com they sell boxes

I might be able to call a weekend off work, not including tools, can you give me a rough estimate on how much all the wood/glue/carpet would cost me?

Memphis PR 12's

Kicker zx750.1

Memphis PR 6x9's

Pioneer 5.25's

Planet Audio 3004

Kenwood KDC345