Second Skin Audio

Are concrete formers too porus?

I have never seen a concrete former used as a port tube in person, and I personally love the builds that I have seen on SMD that have used them. If I were to use one, would I need to resin it? It seems like it might be porous.

Thanks,

Sam

Well they are basically just thick cardboard so I would definately resin them. Probably would be good to actually glass them with resin and matt. They are pretty strong but glass would be good to smooth them out.

Edited by 01 S-10

TDH FTW !!!

hmm not sure here as i used to have jamo house speakers and there port was cardboard tube stapled into the box.I suppose a bit of glass resin would make it seal better and look better after smoothing. If you have never done fibreglass before its easy a bit like paper mache, nice and messy :)

if you havent made the box yet make the port side the last to go on that way its easier all round . I take it port is not on the same side as subs, so you will be able to get in through sub hole to seal the port panel :)

if you havent made the box yet make the port side the last to go on that way its easier all round . I take it port is not on the same side as subs, so you will be able to get in through sub hole to seal the port panel :)

no I know all that, I am askin if it is gonna be a pain in the ass to resin the inside of the port. And yeah the port and subs are both gonna face up

They're called sono tubes and they aren't porous, they are rolled thick paper to make a tube and hold in concrete so they can't leak water or spill concrete. They work really well as ports and come in many different sizes from 6" all the way up past anything we'll ever use as a port, most home depot/lowes have them in stock for you to check out.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2