Hey guys quick qeustion

Alright I have a 99 Grand Am GT with all stock electrical. Right now im running 2 RF P1 12s on a Boss Audio CX950 (I think thats the 1000 watt) and I currently have no problem with any of my lights and no problem starting my car. I plan on getting one 18 ( was thinking about the AQ HDC3 18) and a audioque 1200D to break it in for now. Would I need to upgrade any electrical to run that?

well, it'll make you shit bricks.

Do the Big 3 and add another battery and you should be good.

Do a search on the Site for the Big 3 if you are not sure what it is.

Some people will say yes and some people will say no. i personally would rather have the power to back it up before attempting going bigger and better. I dont like even having a slight dim in my headlights, had a bad experience a few yrs back, and i dont want to have people flashing lights at me cause my lights have a slight flicker in them lol.

TDHRIP_zps8bedfde5.jpg

06 Impala SS
Kenwood Excelon DDX593

Ampere Audio 150.4

Ampere Audio 5K
1 XS D4700 (front)
Mechman 320a Alt. w/ Big 3

Lots of Second Skin Damplifier

Under Construction for 2017

Your headlights will dim when your electrical draw is more then your alternator can supply. That is why you add a battery so you have reserve when your banging on your system hard for a while then when you turn the volume down your not pulling as much from your electrical system and your alternator will charge the batteries back up. If you want to make sure your headlights don't dim then you will need a High Output alternator which will cost 250.00 or more. You would have to get a quote on your car from a reputable vendor like Mechman who would be able to take care of your needs in this department.

no need for an alternator at 1200 watts. but you also need to take a second and realize that your amp is putting out NOWHERE near 1000 watts. of course youre not going to have any dimming, lol. youre pulling like close to 0 current, ha ha ha.

on a serious note. for an AQ1200, i would suggest a larger starter battery and big 3 done. if you notice an issue, add a battery but dont push the stock alternator too far.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

Archived