Second Skin Audio

ported clamshell help/build

irpirate

Explain.

if you have a 5 inch port it needs to stay a 5 inch width the whole way through.

Ill explain it backwards to make more sense..

if you have 2 2.5 inch ports L shaped ports on a box on a box that meet in the middle and join to make a T, Would you have 2 2.5 inch ports joining to make one 2.5 inch port? or 2 2.5 inch ports joining to make a single 5 inch port?

So if you have a 5 inch width at the beginning of the shell but you have ports one the top and bottom 6 inches from the wall they pretty much do nothing but act as a wall to stop air flow. if you were to bend it into a straight port it would look like a 5 inch port for a few inches then all of the sudden a 12 inch port. and that 12 inch port part would have no effect on the tuning.

You could... I saw a write up once on someone who tested this with this type of "loaded" enclosure. They did it with nothing between, a small "v", and a larger "v" (presumably to help air flow). It was the loudest with nothing in there. Bigger the "v", the lower the SPL. I know that was his box and not yours- just saying. I would do it if it makes you happy- I intended to make one for mine and did not. I haven't noticed it as not being there. B)

ill probably just put nothing in there then. less work too :D

i bet you your wet finger knows more about this than me lol. ill just build it with 6" from the wall for both, then i can just add more if needed. i have to agree with you on the cant make the port too big thing, dont think the 12-16 sqin port per cube will apply. the reason i did the extensions of the port is because without those, the port is only 5 inches long. again this is based off torres for a ported box (only numbers i really have to go off of) iirc with 11 inches of port 36x6 port area itll tune around 35. but with what im doing the port will start larger than 36x6 then get smaller, which should raise the tuning of it. ill build it with the extensions on at first and see how it sounds. either way its gonna be a pain in the ass to add or remove port, and id rather tune too low than too high. basically impossible to know without building and testing is what im getting out of it lol.

build starts tomorrow!!!

subs arrive wednesday :(

hiiiiiiii
2002 4runner - buncha speakers n amps n shit (gone)
1994 astro - more stuffz

update: pretty sure all the pic links in the logs are broken lol.

ma slop garb build log
16 12's 4th order

4runner rebuild in progress
clickkk meeeee!!!! 4 18's 6th order

UBL - clicky

http://www.youtube.com/yyj11589

lots of hater kids here. Pay no attention, they just want 89,000 watt subs for 3.50
If you would have put a dc dustcap on it and called it lv your mom, they would all be in love

if you have a 5 inch port it needs to stay a 5 inch width the whole way through.

Ill explain it backwards to make more sense..

if you have 2 2.5 inch ports L shaped ports on a box on a box that meet in the middle and join to make a T, Would you have 2 2.5 inch ports joining to make one 2.5 inch port? or 2 2.5 inch ports joining to make a single 5 inch port?

So if you have a 5 inch width at the beginning of the shell but you have ports one the top and bottom 6 inches from the wall they pretty much do nothing but act as a wall to stop air flow. if you were to bend it into a straight port it would look like a 5 inch port for a few inches then all of the sudden a 12 inch port. and that 12 inch port part would have no effect on the tuning.

i dont think my box is gonna have many commonalities with ported ones. 11.5-12 cubes gross for 8 subs. after everything ill be getting a bit more than a cube per foot. i read somewhere that port area shouldnt only be based on box net volume, but xmax as well. 8 subs per chamber is gonna push alot of air. and as colin said, the clam will drop the tuning along with the subs interacting with each other. take a look at the angles and how the distance between the subs, should definitely act like an extension to the port. that being said i completely agree with your logic, it makes sense. but from what ive read on clams, all common sense, logic and knowledge on ported boxes kinda gets crapped all over. try to ballpark, build, pray for the best, and tweak if necessary. colins had experience with these things and has gone through the same stuff im going through figuring out tuning so im gonna trust him over common sense lol.

hiiiiiiii
1994 astro - more stuffz

ma slop garb build log
16 12's 4th order

UBL - clicky

lots of hater kids here. Pay no attention, they just want 89,000 watt subs for 3.50
If you would have put a dc dustcap on it and called it lv your mom, they would all be in love

But the thing you are forgetting is if you take the top section out, you would have a 2.5 inch port going to a 5 inch port. Not gonna work right, you have two cambers working against each other and the mouth of the clam back acts like a horn also adding to the port to some degree. I wouldn't make it 2.5 inches from the back wall with a 5 inch opening.

TEAM SOUNDQUBED -- TEAM SOUTH

TEAM S.O.B. - Founder & Captain

3x Streetbeat World Record Holder

2017 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4 
2016 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem/2nd Adv 4/2nd Xtreme 4
2015 MWSPL 2nd place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4
2014 USACI 2nd place Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db
2014 MWSPL 2nd place Xtreme 4 - 144.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Street Q+ - 162.8 db
2013 MWSPL 3rd Kaos2 & 4th Xtreme 4
2011 USACI 2nd place MOD 1001-2k - 160.0 db
2011 MWSPL 4th place: Adv3 - 157.8 db, Kaos2 - 150s db, Xtreme4 - 140s db
2010 ARSPL 1st place 501-750 - 160.3 db Arkansas loudest

Best score to date 164.4 db - Termlab Outlaw

Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db

Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db

MWSPL on Dash Legal door open (Music) - 162.5 db

Sealed on dash Legal (Music) - 161.1 db - Termlab

THE BLACK NASTY CURRENT BUILD & FAB

The Black Nasty (6) 15 Rebuild Log 2012

(4) 15 Walled Sierra Build Log

Evo X build log

Facebook page The Black Nasty

16163044_large.gif

But the thing you are forgetting is if you take the top section out, you would have a 2.5 inch port going to a 5 inch port. Not gonna work right, you have two cambers working against each other and the mouth of the clam back acts like a horn also adding to the port to some degree. I wouldn't make it 2.5 inches from the back wall with a 5 inch opening.

if its just the clamshell then yea, i would keep it 5"+ away from the back. but with the ported section added, you need to keep the area constant.

and youre not gonna take the top section out, so that shouldnt even be in the logic really.

Nothing else to do but to build it at this point, really. :D

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

starting today!!!!!! ill try n post updates :)

hiiiiiiii
1994 astro - more stuffz

ma slop garb build log
16 12's 4th order

UBL - clicky

so i got all the wood, 4 sheets of mdf cuz the birch at lowes was kinda shitty and really inconsistent. got part of the box put together but had to stop cuz i need the sub holes cut out on the face before i can put in bracing. i know the cutout diameter but id much rather just use the 16 cutout paper things that come with the subs. subs should be here wednesday. hopefully i can get all the holes cut then, get everything put together up and running by thursday before break starts.

hiiiiiiii
1994 astro - more stuffz

ma slop garb build log
16 12's 4th order

UBL - clicky

mmm i dont feel like ive gotten enough done yet to merit any pics :/ only pic i have is 4 sheets of mdf on my 4runnner lol. subs come tomorrow though. pics will definitely get posted. ill try and remember to take tons.

154810_1540292385490_1180320105_31279401_4085949_n.jpg

exciting huh... -.-'"

i got all the wood precut at lowes so itd actually fit in my suv. that and i dont have any proper tools to do it myself lol. told the guy cutting i needed it exact. took over 1.5 hours :/

hiiiiiiii
1994 astro - more stuffz

ma slop garb build log
16 12's 4th order

UBL - clicky

Archived