Second Skin Audio

Speaker Build, 12" Dvc 1.5ohm Almost Done, Final Pics Commin Tomorrow

Well, I had shits load of speaker parts laying around, like a triple mag 3" motor, some spiders, a dvc 1.5ohm flat winding alum coil, Iam in the middle of customizing the terminals, and some oldschool carbon fiber cones with rubber surrounds, and very light, yet rigid, Iam going to use an aluminum dome ( I wanted to invert it, but because of tinsel leads I have to do the common dome outward) This cone will be very damn sturdy in the end, no cone flex AT ALL, and retaining lightness of a pulp paper/kevlar cone with plastic dome

Here are the first pictures, I still need to rhino line this damn cone adapter I made and clear coat it, and pretty the speaker up, and finish the bolt tight terminals.... so here it goes....

DSCI0272-1.jpg

DSCI0273-1.jpg

DSCI0271-1.jpg

DSCI0277-1.jpg

DSCI0279-1.jpg

DSCI0281.jpg

DSCI0283.jpg

DSCI0284-1.jpg

Now, if I had a metal lathe, I would have use aluminum to make a cone mounting adapter, since this cone is meant for a smaller ID frame by 1/2" difference.... But you know what? I have an extra 1/2" of mounting lip all around, so I can make sure this subwoofer is going nowhere after being mounted

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

ACE dude, ACE. Great to see people knowing how to recone the old school way. Cones and coils, not baskets and all. Keep us updated with how this beast turns out dude.

Cheers,

Mick

Work;
DiGiCo D1 Live / MIDAS Heratige 1000 / MIDAS Venice
Meyer Sound CQ-1's, CQ-2's, PSW-2's
RAMSA Monitor Amplifiers
P.Audio Monitors
BSS OMNIDRIVE and Soundweb
DBX 231 and Klark Teknik DN360 EQ's
RCF TT22A
RCF ART320

thanks bro.... I did speaker production/prototyping for 4 years, learned lots of tips, and practices.... For instance, no CA here,, Iam anti CA, strickly epoxy, and rubber based glues, infact the cone is glued down via RTV gasket glue wich is awesomeeee shit, epoxy is less damaging to knuckles when reconing, and may not dry fast, but dries harder, and takes better abuse to vibration's.... I have like 250 cones in my garage that need homes (frames and motors) I have like 75- 2.5" voice coils, but they are low wattage, and only 2 layer single 4, but it would be nice to use them for something....

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

oh BTW, this is Sins subwoofer ;-)

sundown.jpg

that loox real nice ive wanted to do this for a while but ive never had the parts to do it.

i like this alot let us know how good it sounds

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

More pics, 90 % done..... Already did basic xmax tests, ran it really quick on 110v, no probs, heres tonites pics.

DSCI0300.jpg

^ screwed down the mdf adapter to the frame from behind

DSCI0301.jpg

DSCI0302.jpg

DSCI0303.jpg

DSCI0306.jpg

^^ drilled 3/8" holes to make way for 3/8" plastic dowels for the mounting screws to go thru

DSCI0307.jpg

DSCI0308.jpg

DSCI0309.jpg

8" woofer on the dome to add weight on the dome while glue dries

DSCI0310.jpg

Iam pretty much ANTI CA when it comes to speakers, I feel the glue needs to be able to absorb shock, so the glues I have learned to use are RTV gasket glue, and epoxy... The leads have heat shrink that still needs to be shrunk, but my mini blow torch took a crap on me, so they are loose for now, once they are tightened up, the leads will look sweet-r

sundown.jpg

thanks joker, even tho it will just be 1- sub of its own, it should do awesome in a single sub set up

1 of a kind baby ;-)

sundown.jpg