Sonic Electronix

I have a few questions based on a video I watched about car audio, specifically amps and subs.

1. I heard that the smaller the car the smaller the sub should be. For example, a 15 in a Honda CRX wouldn’t sound as good as a 10. I heard the sound wave needs time to travel. Is this true?

2. I know prefabed boxes get a bad rap. I know ported are bad to get pre fabed since it needs to be built to the subs specs. But I heard prefabed sealed boxes aren’t so bad. At least as long as it have enough power. True?

3. This question is rly basic. I’ve heard that it’s better to over power a sub than to under power it. I also heard its good to get a little more RMS power than the sub is rated at. But how much more? Can you match up, for example. A 700watt RMS amp with a 500Watt RMS sub as long as you keep the gains down. Can you run this reliably?

I have a few questions based on a video I watched about car audio, specifically amps and subs.

1. I heard that the smaller the car the smaller the sub should be. For example, a 15 in a Honda CRX wouldn’t sound as good as a 10. I heard the sound wave needs time to travel. Is this true?

2. I know prefabed boxes get a bad rap. I know ported are bad to get pre fabed since it needs to be built to the subs specs. But I heard prefabed sealed boxes aren’t so bad. At least as long as it have enough power. True?

3. This question is rly basic. I’ve heard that it’s better to over power a sub than to under power it. I also heard its good to get a little more RMS power than the sub is rated at. But how much more? Can you match up, for example. A 700watt RMS amp with a 500Watt RMS sub as long as you keep the gains down. Can you run this reliably?

nope not true 10s sound more punchier in pre fab boxes and 15s sound more boomy forom further away

some pre fab sealed boxes are okay if they are caulked up to prevent air leakage

it depends but usally dont over power a sub even with gains down if you have to ask the quistion

its pretty much all bullshit except the 1st half of number 2.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

lol thanks guys!

I also have on more question.

I went into a car audio shop today to look at some new front speakers. 4 inchers to be specific. I'm looking for something that will play well not amped. I was surprised and found that they sell hertz speakers. The have exc100 speakers for 120. Is this a good deal and are these good sounding speakers un-amped?

lol thanks guys!

I also have on more question.

I went into a car audio shop today to look at some new front speakers. 4 inchers to be specific. I'm looking for something that will play well not amped. I was surprised and found that they sell hertz speakers. The have exc100 speakers for 120. Is this a good deal and are these good sounding speakers un-amped?

Are you not going to amp them because you are on a budget?

I'd try as hard as possible to get an amp because a head unit will only put out 20 watts or so. Also, would you be able to get 6.5" components instead of 4"s? Because I wouldn't really use speakers that small without having something for lower mid/midbass as well otherwise you might be pushing them too hard.

Also, I don't think HU powered and sound good can be in the same sentence?

Edited by bassl0va

My RE MT 18" wall build Former build, farewell beloved wall.In progress, Toyota Starlet build

This forum has a massive boner for ridiculous electrical upgrades.

Oh man...

I put some 2-way's in the dash (4x6) and they made a hell of a difference. Dad has same size in his truck, and his sounds like crap compared to mine.

If you get 2-ways they do sound a lot better if you are replacing the stock mids.

They sound 10 times better if you put them on an amp though.

Here is my rating:

Stock: 3

2-ways to replace the mids: 6

Amp on the 2-ways: 9

Not sure about tweeters by themselves though.

You shouldn't need that level until the bass is above 1,000w rms?

Also yes on the 700w amp on a 500w sub

make sure the ohms match

Turn the gain all teh way down, turn the volume to max, then slowly adjust the gain on the sub. As soon as it starts to distort, turn it back down a little and maybe even go a little extra for safety

Edited by casemods

i suck men dry...email me for details

Oh man...

I put some 2-way's in the dash (4x6) and they made a hell of a difference. Dad has same size in his truck, and his sounds like crap compared to mine.

If you get 2-ways they do sound a lot better if you are replacing the stock mids.

Here is my rating:

make sure the ohms match

Turn the gain all teh way down, turn the volume to max, then slowly adjust the gain on the sub. As soon as it starts to distort, turn it back down a little and maybe even go a little extra for safety

What the hell are you on about?

Quite a lot of your advice is quite dodgy.

I agree that upgraded speakers will sound better than stock 99% of the time, and having those speakers on a external amp will sound even better, but what do you mean by 'tweeters by themselves'? Like, on their own amp, or just tweeters and no mids?

If it is the first one, it will work well if you know what you are doing. If it is the second one, it will sound like shit.

You can't just say "yes, chuck that 500 watt sub on a 700 watt amp" it depends on many things, the sub, the quality of the signal, the box, etc. etc.

You need to know what sub he wants to run first, but yes, having a more powerful amp than the speaker/sub needs will make clipping less likely as there is more headroom.

And hell no, that is not how you set gains :ban2: .

I don't mean to be a dick, but some of this advice isn't the best.

EDIT: Also, what level? And why 1000 watts? Power doesn't determine loudness by itself.

Edited by bassl0va

My RE MT 18" wall build Former build, farewell beloved wall.In progress, Toyota Starlet build

This forum has a massive boner for ridiculous electrical upgrades.

Oh man...

Here is my rating:

make sure the ohms match

What the hell are you on about?

Quite a lot of your advice is quite dodgy.

I agree that upgraded speakers will sound better than stock 99% of the time, and having those speakers on a external amp will sound even better, but what do you mean by 'tweeters by themselves'? Like, on their own amp, or just tweeters and no mids?

If it is the first one, it will work well if you know what you are doing. If it is the second one, it will sound like shit.

You can't just say "yes, chuck that 500 watt sub on a 700 watt amp" it depends on many things, the sub, the quality of the signal, the box, etc. etc.

You need to know what sub he wants to run first, but yes, having a more powerful amp than the speaker/sub needs will make clipping less likely as there is more headroom.

And hell no, that is not how you set gains :ban2: .

I don't mean to be a dick, but some of this advice isn't the best.

This^^^

RF_728x090_caraudiofanatics-1.jpg

xs-1.jpg

logo-1.png

1991 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

DC Power 270 Amp Alt

Big 3

Kicker/KnuKonceptz 0 Gauge Power wire

XS Power D6500

XS Power D3100

Pioneer Headunit

JBL Mids and Highs

Rockford Fosgate 400.4

3 Sundown Audio SA-10's wired @ .67 ohms

American Bass 150.1

nope not true 10s sound more punchier in pre fab boxes and 15s sound more boomy forom further away

some pre fab sealed boxes are okay if they are caulked up to prevent air leakage

it depends but usally dont over power a sub even with gains down if you have to ask the quistion

did you really just say 10's are punchier and 15's are more boomy? this is absolutely wrong and im surprised on how noone corrected you.

and i dont know how you would overpower a woofer if you set the gains very low....that doesnt make sense whatsoever.

To put it simply a prefab box will never be as good or sound as good as one you build for you individual application and the driver you are using.

I say this because you have more flexibility with tuning among other variables that go into setting up a nice system

RMS is generally written to give you a guideline in which to run a safe amount of power to your subwoofer and speakers on a daily basis and generally where they will perform the best..

Also the part about the 10's and 15's is total bullshit... In the right enclosure any woofer can sound great

For example i have a single 8 in my impala in a T-Line enclosure on 125 watts and i would put it up against a 10 ported all day long

Also generally its better to amplify interior speakers because it brings them to life more.. Its not a necessity though i have my rear 6x9's in my car running off my deck alone but this is also because my front stage is amplified and has a processor controlling it all and i generally like my music up front where i am

If you guys are going to answer the OP's question then do so if you are just here to talk out your ass then dont bother posting

Team MaxRetribution

Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Bowhunting- Life Begins and Ends at Full Draw

Bowhunting Team Fatal Trajectory Hunt Team

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/49335-sick96vtecaccords-t-line-build/?hl=sick96vtecaccord << Accord Build

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/68498-smokedout08impalas-tline-build/?hl=+sick96vtecaccord << Impala T-line build

Rebassed.com for all your music needs 👌