question about dc power 270xp

Guest DC Power Rob

It's a combination of 2 main things, maybe a third.. Most likely, the belt's just slipping, or you have some wiring issues. With a 4G belt, this is usually the issue on these trucks, the fact that it's both at idle AND driving makes this most likely.. I've installed an XP on a couple 3.4V6's, and know from Kyles car that a 270XP will drive a 3500 at .5 into oblivion so I know it's not a lack of alt capability.. You also just may not have enough engine torque to drive it at idle wide open.. I know that most people wouldn't think that, but 270XP's are just ruthless alts and on some cars, you just cant get full output at idle with them because the engines wont turn them. Being that I had a few 3.4 V6 Taco's and know the engine pretty well, this could be a factor as well. On an Accord like Alex's, I know it wont drive it at idle, but a Hemi V8 Charger, a Vortec Chevy, Ford, My 5.7V8 Tundra etc, they'll do it all day long.. Some vehicles just do it better.. I'm getting another Taco with a V6 pretty soon and it will definitely get an XP in it when I do..

If you think though that you'd feel better if we took a look at the alt, we'd be more than happy to run it on the dyno for a while in endurance mode to make sure. Just let us know.. Rob

It's a combination of 2 main things, maybe a third.. Most likely, the belt's just slipping, or you have some wiring issues. With a 4G belt, this is usually the issue on these trucks, the fact that it's both at idle AND driving makes this most likely.. I've installed an XP on a couple 3.4V6's, and know from Kyles car that a 270XP will drive a 3500 at .5 into oblivion so I know it's not a lack of alt capability.. You also just may not have enough engine torque to drive it at idle wide open.. I know that most people wouldn't think that, but 270XP's are just ruthless alts and on some cars, you just cant get full output at idle with them because the engines wont turn them. Being that I had a few 3.4 V6 Taco's and know the engine pretty well, this could be a factor as well. On an Accord like Alex's, I know it wont drive it at idle, but a Hemi V8 Charger, a Vortec Chevy, Ford, My 5.7V8 Tundra etc, they'll do it all day long.. Some vehicles just do it better.. I'm getting another Taco with a V6 pretty soon and it will definitely get an XP in it when I do..

If you think though that you'd feel better if we took a look at the alt, we'd be more than happy to run it on the dyno for a while in endurance mode to make sure. Just let us know.. Rob

Yea, im having trouble with mine just because of the tiny engine trying to keep up with the alt. Saw a few of kyles videos, and he has the same problem. and it's nothing against the alternator, it works like a charm. Its just beating the hell out of the small accord engine, ha.

2006 Nissan Z Track.

My Feedback Thread

2nqd37b.png

DCSig.jpg

i used to think a band pass was something you were around your neck or something.

Rob and Kyle are awesome. They'll take care of you bro dont worry.

RF_728x090_caraudiofanatics-1.jpg

xs-1.jpg

logo-1.png

1991 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

DC Power 270 Amp Alt

Big 3

Kicker/KnuKonceptz 0 Gauge Power wire

XS Power D6500

XS Power D3100

Pioneer Headunit

JBL Mids and Highs

Rockford Fosgate 400.4

3 Sundown Audio SA-10's wired @ .67 ohms

American Bass 150.1

Guest DC Power Rob

Yours should be better with the bigger pulley on it now Alex.. I really would think the Honda PCMs would adjust better than they do and compensate for the load.. Our local test car had some issues at idle at first, but after a full tune-up and some other work he did it really handles it good, like really good.. He'll hit about 160 or so at idle before he starts losing engine RPM's.. Im going to have to shoot a vid of that car.. People just do NOT realize how much power it takes to make REAL power, and if the XP's weren't as efficient as they are, it would be worse for guys like you Alex..

with a 3/1 ratio, kyle said it should theoretically do around 260 at 2.6k engine rpm. But with this honda, it might be a tad lower. But i'm not running that much power as ai was before. Maybe around 4k rms, 3k of that being in a sub.

2006 Nissan Z Track.

My Feedback Thread

2nqd37b.png

DCSig.jpg

i used to think a band pass was something you were around your neck or something.

Guest DC Power Kyle

At 1800 I had enough power on a 270XP to drop from 15 to 14.4~ for an entire song. Usually though cars are 3.5:1 ratio. (alt rpm to engine rpm)

won't be any need to put the alt through a dyno. i have no doubt that the alt is problem free. i mean there hasn't been a failure on these things yet, what're the chances im the first...that being said, would i be better off getting a smaller pulley on it? i didn't think i had belt slippage but then again, i don't know much about alternators. when can i give you guys a call to diagnose the problem? i tried calling today but kyle was busy/away. or can someone please explain how to tell if the belt is slipping? or maybe give me a list of things to try to fix whatever.

i don't care what anybody says, you guys have some f*kn awesome customer service.

hiiiiiiii
2002 4runner - buncha speakers n amps n shit (gone)
1994 astro - more stuffz

update: pretty sure all the pic links in the logs are broken lol.

ma slop garb build log
16 12's 4th order

4runner rebuild in progress
clickkk meeeee!!!! 4 18's 6th order

UBL - clicky

http://www.youtube.com/yyj11589

lots of hater kids here. Pay no attention, they just want 89,000 watt subs for 3.50
If you would have put a dc dustcap on it and called it lv your mom, they would all be in love

I too have 3.4l 4runner toyota with stock 4g alt pulley. I never drop below 13.4v full tilt 1,500rpm and up. My amp is old school and power hungry mofo, draw close to 400amps. If you are dropping a bit below 13v, shouldn't be problem. I might get slip belt sometime. I'm gonna try Gates belt. It sucked that tacomas and 4runner come with tiny 4g crankshaft pulley.

'91 Honda crx - TOTALLED

200amps rebuilt Iraggi alt

2 d3100

Mojo [email protected]

2 15's DC XLm1 in 7.2cubes, 2 6" aeroports tuned to 32hz

just got off the phone with kyle. belt is tight enough. there's not really any belt powder or anything so it doesn't look like belt slip is the main problem. i didn't get a chance to crank the music long to check if any of the connections got hot but it looks like i'm gonna be re-doing all my power and grounds soon. its 20 degrees outside right now and i have no garage at college so i'm gonna hafta wait till late december/early january :(

thanks everyone!

hiiiiiiii
2002 4runner - buncha speakers n amps n shit (gone)
1994 astro - more stuffz

update: pretty sure all the pic links in the logs are broken lol.

ma slop garb build log
16 12's 4th order

4runner rebuild in progress
clickkk meeeee!!!! 4 18's 6th order

UBL - clicky

http://www.youtube.com/yyj11589

lots of hater kids here. Pay no attention, they just want 89,000 watt subs for 3.50
If you would have put a dc dustcap on it and called it lv your mom, they would all be in love

Archived