Second Skin Audio

Sa-12 or Type R?

I love my R-12's, but a local person has 2 SA-12's, and they sound pretty damn good too.

Basically, what HT said. A-flip-a zee coin!

Im assuming you both have 2 Woofers, so if you had to say which one was better, without factoring in price, which one would you go with? And if it is the Sa's, how much better are they?

Well, they're in different cars, on way different power, and in way different enclosures, but I will say that I was impressed with the SA-12's. Then again, I didn't get to hear them for long.

Yes, he was louder than me, in 2 1cu.ft. sealed boxes vs 2.6@32hz ported, but he was on a SAE-1200d, I'm on 250w. If I HAD to make a choice, I would say the SA's had the slight edge, but I don't think I can make a fair comparison.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, you can get R-12's for a decent amount cheaper than the SA's, new for new, so keep that in mind.

Too many projects, too little time...

sa-12's will kill the type r anyday and sound way better doing it go with the sa-12's

And your evidence is...?

Have you used both woofers? Installed both woofers? If so, please. Share some technical knowledge.

Kill the type rs? You sound like a ghetto fanboy who probably doesn't have enough experience to form your own opinions.

OP...back on track. I like the way sundown sounds better and if price isn't an option, id go SA. And not because the speaker kills another.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

Hey man take it from someone who's had both..

i just replaced my 4 alpine type-r's with 4 SA-12's

All i got to say is .. for the price type rs are good.. but if your willing to spend the money on SA-12s.. get them they dig deeper and hold up against a lot more power and just from my opinion move a lot more air.. i don't regret moving to the Sundowns by no means...

Now to find someone to buy the 4 alpine type r's i have had sitting on my floor for 2 months after only being in the car for less then 5 hrs of play time :(

2001 Saturn SC2

4 Sundown SA 12's

2 Power Aucustik 2600BAMFs

Jensen vm9313

Honestly, I loved the Type Rs I have had. I have never heard an SA-12 though, but on same power, same box, how much better can it honestly be? I would go with the cheaper route OP, which is more than likely the Rs by a large amount.

Black 2008.5 Mazda 3s Touring 5 Speed Hatchback

Tinted tails/turn indicators, blacked out emblems, partially debadged, 20% tint all around,

Big 3 in Knu KLMX 1/0, LED footwells/interior lights

DECK: Kenwood DDX-512 double DIN touchscreen with backup camera

FRONT STAGE: Stock for now, yippy (Looking for something nice...)

FRONT STAGE AMP: Looking for something nice...

SUB: 15 inch DC level 4 with level 5 coil upgrade, red dustcap

SUB AMP: Audiopipe AP15001D at 1 ohm

WIRING: All Knukoncepts Kolossus/KCA wire

LEGAL TERMLAB SCORE: 135.8db at 42hz(pathetic, I know. I need a battery in the back,

dropping to 11.9v isnt cutting it.....)

I haz teh Term-Lab. PM me if you are close and want to get metered.

Honestly, I loved the Type Rs I have had. I have never heard an SA-12 though, but on same power, same box, how much better can it honestly be? I would go with the cheaper route OP, which is more than likely the Rs by a large amount.

They are cheaper by quite a bit your right... so if your only pushing a little bit of power and arent looking to upgrade your amp anytime soon and trying to stay on a budget build i think you'll be happy with the alpines ;) check out my build log for some more videos of SA-12's if you want or you can go here

http://www.youtube.com/user/ibtrippn08

Im running roughly 850w per woofer though

2001 Saturn SC2

4 Sundown SA 12's

2 Power Aucustik 2600BAMFs

Jensen vm9313

I've heard both subs with close to the same power. I have a pair in a 4 cube box tuned to 30Hz powered by a SAZ-1500D. My boy Mario (you still alive bro?) has a pair of Type R 12's in his 300 powered by a AQ1200D. Mine are in my trunk, sub/port to the rear, rear deck speaker delete (to allow more bass into the cabin). His are sub/port forward, sealed off from the trunk. To be honest man, I don't think you can go wrong with either. I had low expectations from his setup but when I sat in his car those mofo's blew my wig back! I was impressed!! They hit pretty low, hard and sounded clean. My Sundowns, they bang pretty good too but I think my box is a little on the large size based on how much power i'm giving them so I have a 3 cube box in the works as we speak so we'll see how they sound after I get the new box done up. But yeah, I think you can flip a coin and you'll be happy with either one, it's pretty much a matter of what you can afford. One SA12 will cost you nearly as much as 2 Type R 12's

Alpine CDA-117...Memphis 16-X03

CDT Audio SQA-4100...SEAS Prestige H1396...Crescendo MP-6

Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500d...Digital Designs 3512f

I love my R-12's, but a local person has 2 SA-12's, and they sound pretty damn good too.

Basically, what HT said. A-flip-a zee coin!

Im assuming you both have 2 Woofers, so if you had to say which one was better, without factoring in price, which one would you go with? And if it is the Sa's, how much better are they?

Well, they're in different cars, on way different power, and in way different enclosures, but I will say that I was impressed with the SA-12's. Then again, I didn't get to hear them for long.

Yes, he was louder than me, in 2 1cu.ft. sealed boxes vs 2.6@32hz ported, but he was on a SAE-1200d, I'm on 250w. If I HAD to make a choice, I would say the SA's had the slight edge, but I don't think I can make a fair comparison.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, you can get R-12's for a decent amount cheaper than the SA's, new for new, so keep that in mind.

Thanks man. Sounds like these Type-R's really do stand up pretty well to them.

sa-12's will kill the type r anyday and sound way better doing it go with the sa-12's

And your evidence is...?

Have you used both woofers? Installed both woofers? If so, please. Share some technical knowledge.

Kill the type rs? You sound like a ghetto fanboy who probably doesn't have enough experience to form your own opinions.

OP...back on track. I like the way sundown sounds better and if price isn't an option, id go SA. And not because the speaker kills another.

Sounds good. It will really just have to come down to how much money I am looking to spend. Thanks

Hey man take it from someone who's had both..

i just replaced my 4 alpine type-r's with 4 SA-12's

All i got to say is .. for the price type rs are good.. but if your willing to spend the money on SA-12s.. get them they dig deeper and hold up against a lot more power and just from my opinion move a lot more air.. i don't regret moving to the Sundowns by no means...

Now to find someone to buy the 4 alpine type r's i have had sitting on my floor for 2 months after only being in the car for less then 5 hrs of play time :(

Awesome! Did you put the sundowns in the same box that you had the R's in? And may I ask why you were so quick to get rid of the R's? And are they the 2010 version?

They are cheaper by quite a bit your right... so if your only pushing a little bit of power and arent looking to upgrade your amp anytime soon and trying to stay on a budget build i think you'll be happy with the alpines ;) check out my build log for some more videos of SA-12's if you want or you can go here

http://www.youtube.com/user/ibtrippn08

Im running roughly 850w per woofer though

Those videos look tight man. Great setup you got there. Also, Your giving them 850rms? Could you just run them on that all day every day, or would you need to be a little careful?

I've heard both subs with close to the same power. I have a pair in a 4 cube box tuned to 30Hz powered by a SAZ-1500D. My boy Mario (you still alive bro?) has a pair of Type R 12's in his 300 powered by a AQ1200D. Mine are in my trunk, sub/port to the rear, rear deck speaker delete (to allow more bass into the cabin). His are sub/port forward, sealed off from the trunk. To be honest man, I don't think you can go wrong with either. I had low expectations from his setup but when I sat in his car those mofo's blew my wig back! I was impressed!! They hit pretty low, hard and sounded clean. My Sundowns, they bang pretty good too but I think my box is a little on the large size based on how much power i'm giving them so I have a 3 cube box in the works as we speak so we'll see how they sound after I get the new box done up. But yeah, I think you can flip a coin and you'll be happy with either one, it's pretty much a matter of what you can afford. One SA12 will cost you nearly as much as 2 Type R 12's

Thanks for the input. Also, though it might sound like a stupid question, What is a rear deck speaker delete?

Huge thanks for all the information guys! From what I am reading, it sounds like the Sundowns are for sure better, but what im debating, is it worth the extra 70 bucks for just a little better?

And for you guys who have had both, Hitting the lows is gonna be a big deal for the type of music I listen too (Hip Hop Mostly, Some Rock), so which do you think was better in that category?

Depends on you OP, I piss $70 daily. If $70 is a lot for you, get the alpine. If you can cough up the $70 and are willing to pay a little extra for stable electrical, better amps, and wires in the future...go SA.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

Ive had both. The Type-R's indeed did get loud but just had a muddy tone to them. The SA's got loud and sounded good. I like the SA better. And 3.5cubes tuned at 30-35hz with about 35-42sq in of port for a good musical box for them.

lbb-2.png

2007 Chevy HHR LT

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

1st Place Loud N Low 2010 MWSPL Finals

3rd Place Xtreme 3 2010 MWSPL Finals

I forgot ive actually heard some type r's now. along with the sa 12s

they were both completely different setups, one a trunk car ported at 33ish and a single cab truck at 38.

trunk has a hifonics 1600 watt amp, truck has a sae 1200. the truck is by far louder, but the Rs sounded way better than i expected from them. but i built the box for the sa 12s so its beating out the Rs. I should be building a box for the guys Rs sometime this month. so ill have a better comparison by then.

for now it still SA 12s.

Archived